Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowboard boots (and maybe bindings and boards)... advice needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All snowHeads ,

Well, I've started snowboarding with some weekend classes (living in Switzerland Very Happy )and I'm very much enjoying it. I'm an absolute beginner, and I've only done 2 days and will probably get only 2-4 more days in this season but I'm already seriously considering buying at least boots and maybe board+bindings too. I've read the advice on the forums that beginners should probably just rent for a season or two, but when you're renting each day it's a lot of hassle and last Saturday I had to go up at least 2 sizes on boots (to 46(european), no 44s or 45s left and 43 was just too small even though it's my normal shoe size), which is certainly not ideal.

Anyway, buying this stuff will be a bit of a shot in the dark as I don't know what's good/bad appropriate/inappropriate, so I thought I'd ask for some pointers here (I did check the archives first, but couldn't find any answers within 10 pages back!).

So first, a simple question regarding boots: are they all suitable for all bindings? at the ski-rental place in flumserberg, the bindings they use are made with two straps, which fasten individually with a sort of ratchet lever that you use to tighten (a few lifts required), and a plastic tab you flick to let the toothed strap slide out. I've heard of "flow" bindings too, which are supposed to be quicker to get in/out of, and i've heard of some sort of click/system binding that sound a bit like bike-shoes/ski-boots in how they work and sound like they need special boots. So, if I ask for and buy "snow board boots" can I then use them with these strap-bindings and maybe with flow if i buy flow one day?

On a more complicated front... what should I look for in boots? My first instinct is to just go for comfort and some make that I've heard of hopefully with a decent discount since we're at the tail end of the season now. The rental boots are some class of Salomons and I found them fine (even oversized as I just worked harder with the laces) though they looked a bit worn at toes and so on (rubber coming away on both pairs I've worn). From a quick look in shops, boots seem to be fairly standard, with style varying a bit, and occasionally different lacing systems (e.g. with a twister-knob and a metal wire). Is there anything I should look-for or avoid? Any makes that you guys and gals have liked (especially if you've a broad foot like me)?.

I'd be tempted to buy the board and bindings too, especially as many ski shops still seem to have sales on and if I'm still here next winter I plan to board on weekends (and if I'm not, friends of mine go on boarding/skiing holidays every year, so I'll defo use it).
Is there any straight-forward advice on what I should look out for or how much I need to pay?

Is the size of board very important (e.g. I've used a 160cm and 155cm board, both seemed ok... would it be ok to buy a 150cm or 165cm board if they were the last ones in the shop and well-reduced? (me being 5ft9/11.5stone (75kg))). I've no idea regarding width/stance. I just used the bindings the way the shop set them up and it seemed fine (and instructor didn't point out any problems, though she did get another boarder to go back and swap the board for a larger one as it was seriously micro!).

Apart from the speed of fastening between flow/straps I don't know what differences exist in bindings. Maybe weight if there's a lot of metal. Any pointers here? What are the downsides of Flow?

Anyway, apologies for the long-winded and rather general enquiry. Any input (e.g. advice, or pointers to places I should have found already) very gratefully received!

Michael
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michaelc, have a look on the snowboard forum, there's lots of answers to your questions there - if you post this there you may get some more responses as well. best of luck!

As a starter, defo get your own boots and make sure you buy them after trying them on (don't try to buy off internet without knowing they fit well). Every boot is a slightly different size and shape, just because it's not the same size as your normal shoe size does not mean it is wrong. Comfort is first! Make sure they fit well, keep them on for a while in the shop to see how they change as the boot warms up from your foot. Don't do as you say you've already had to do and just "work harder with the laces", get boots that fit well and you shouldn't have much heel lift when rocking onto your toes. You shouldn't have to try too hard to get a tight fit. The twister wire is called Boa, seems to work well, Salamon also do a simple lacing system where you just pull on the laces and they lock into place (i've seem some other manufacturers with this as well). I'd also go for a boot with a heat mouldable liner (possibly removable) which does what it says on the tin so can feel strange when first put on. I found Vans/Burton boots quite wide and Salaom narrower so fitted my feet better but that was a couple of years ago and every boot is different. But don't scrimp on boots, these are the most important part of the set...........get that wrong and you wont enjoy your boarding and you wont be transferring your movements to the board efficiently.

Clicker/step in bindings do need a special sort of boot, so they come in a combination. In theory you could use most other boots for strap bindings or flows although some boots do fit better e.g. flow boots in flow bindings Wink so best to try your boots with the bindings before parting with any cash!

As for buying you'd get some great deals at the end of the season but the packages offered are generally second rate combos. Don't get a beginner board you'll out grow it too quickly. 165 is way to big for you. What do you want to do with the board - park, piste, bit of everything - have a look at www.snowboardlengthcalculator.com at first glance i'd say 155 should be fine. But don't just buy for the sake of it, you'll regret it in the long run.

How did the shop set the bindings up - were your feet pointing forward, quite straight or slighty duck?

Best of luck! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Dan,
Thanks for those tips. I'll have a look on the boarding forum and then repost there whatever I don't find answers to...

I definitely won't buy from the net for boots. Helmets and boots are two things I really really have to try or else it's a pure lottery. The instructor also said what you said about the boots being the most important thing to get right (as they're the part of your kit that'll cause you pain if you get it wrong)

The Salamon boots I wore had that lace-locking system you mention. It worked pretty well. I had less heel lift the second week, I think because I tightened the stiffer inner boot better that time (the guy in the shop did it the first week), even though the size was a bit big (and same model of boot).

I'll ask this on boards side too, but what does "beginner board" mean? Is it just the cheapest board in a range?

With the binding setup, the rear foot (right foot in my case) pointed mostly straight across the board, while the leading foot was turned a bit to the side so it came a little bit closer to pointing along the length of the board. It was still mostly at right angles to the board (maybe 30 degrees from that).

Michael
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy