Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche help with homework for my daughter..............

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter has been told to find the names of some avalanches. She has been told that they are given names like hurricanes are. I am not so sure.

She has been unable to find anything and I have been equally unsuccessful. Can anyone help me with an answer or a link to a website that list avalanches historically and what they have been named.

Guess if anyone knows the answer it will be someone on here.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are different types of avalanche, but I've never heard of them being given names.....although I'm sure we could have some fun naming them wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have never heard of them being given names.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wet, slab and powder are not common girls names, but you never know.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Montroc-Avalanche - Montroc Avalanche, near Chamonix.
According to the site they are named after the areas or valleys where they occur.
http://www.disastershq.com/process.asp?DisasterType=Avalanche After a long wrestle with google I found this site listing quite a few avalanches. Your daughter could do some more of her own research into them?
And tell her she's very lucky - we don't get to do avalanches in geography at my school!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow crazy_skier_jules, what a star snowHead I am mega impressed and yet again I have learned something new from snowheads!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I try Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed When I saw what the problem was I couldn't do anything other than help, I have a long standing interest in avalanches. My friend is convinced I am going to die in one. (And he's studying physics at university, he's 19!) Well seeing as I only ski easy/intermediate (up to easy reds) on piste....
Bit morbid, but I'd rather die doing what I love... I wanted to be an avalanche researcher cos I'm good at geography and science, but Connexions the careers advisors couldn't get their head round this girl who dreamed of working in the alps researching sliding snow, so I settled for PC Technician. Much safer.
Have fun with the avalanche stuff, and respect the mountain.
Jules
p.s. off topic but I burned some paper I didn't want anyone to see, at my window, then lobbed it out when it was nearly all burnt, and now my room smells like burning! Mad And no it isn't on fire, I held the paper outside... damn smell!!
latest report
 Darky
Darky
crazy_skier_jules, Is PC Technician what you really want to do instead?? I mean, did they not change your mind??
I`m just wondering because I hate it when ppl try and change your mind about somethings you really want to do. But thats just me!
Just follow your heart hehehe! Not other ppl.
But I don`t exactly know. Remember it`s your choice....Your doing well crazy lil snowHead!! hehehehe NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Darky, do you mind I am 15!!
Yeah I want to be a PC Technician too, it's just something Connexions can handle better.
Plan is to get an internship with ise in 2 years! Teeheehee! Laughing
I'd never follow the crowd. Different to the death, me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks crazy skier Jules. She did try but she is only 10 - I couldn't find the answer myself and I'm normally decent at researching thins. Thanks for your help and good luck with the career!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
aidancostello, you're welcome, and thankyou.
Idid numerous searches before coming up with something, you're right, it 'aint easy!!
ski holidays
 Darky
Darky
Oh Good, crazy_skier_jules, ! Very Happy

Good Luck then, I`m happy for you and everybody else!

I wish I knew what I really wanted to do here! grr hehee Neutral
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Darky,
tell them you want to work in a ski resort as a 'condecteur de dameur des pistes.'
That'll confuse them!! Twisted Evil it's what I did... hehehe...

that's a piste basher driver in french...
ski holidays
 Darky
Darky
crazy_skier_jules, Errrrmm....Is Snowboarding included instead?? No offence....
hehehe NehNeh
snow report
yep lol NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
You get differant types like, slab & wet snow avalaches. Perhaps this is what's required for the homework?
ski holidays
kartman, as it says names like hurricanes have i am presuming it is a certain name for that individual avalanche.
snow report
 Darky
Darky
April, May, June??? rolling eyes

(Taking the...P!ss there, soz! lol)

Try more Google though! hehee
snow conditions
Darky, I already found loads of stuff... hehehe!!
latest report
 Darky
Darky
...And what were the names then?? hehee snowHead
snow conditions
look at the sites dummy NehNeh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy