Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How tight should you have your boots?

Poster: A snowHead
On my last trip I kept getting conflicting info from the instructors I had for my individual lessons. One (who was quite old school) would not let me budge an inch until she had inspected my boots & tightly strapped my feet up while another one said ok to loosen them. Incidently I couldn't finish my lesson with the first instructor because my feet were threatening to divorce me as soon as the blood hit them again. I like the security of having my boots quite tight, especially around the ankles but my stamina is being severely impacted by the burn in my feet. They're my own boots & I've had mounded footbeds made so I don't think that's the problem. I'm quite a nervous skier so it may be my subconscious effort to grip the slope with my toes that's the cause of my grief. Any ideas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my opinion...
1. the toe buckle: forget about it. It serves next to no useful purpose.

2. the mid-foot buckle: finger tight. i.e. can you open and close it just by using one finger, and not having to put too much force on it?

3. lower calf buckle: same as 2.

4. upper calf buckle: same as 2. (but put your strap underneath the shell)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eeyore, are you curling your toes up, like a bird on a perch would do? If so, this habit is going to make your feet hurt. When you feel you want to "grip the slope with your feet" make a real effort to do the opposite and stretch your toes up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eeyore, I think you should have your boots tight enough so your foot won't twist at all, but not tight enough to be uncomfortable. A solid clunk when you push the buckle down but not a big battle to close them - having said that I ski most of the time with my boots really loose . Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually do them up first "finger tight" and after a run or two tighten them if I need to once my feet have settled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I find that I do my boots up so that I my feet are firmly but not tightly clamped and then as the day goes on I retighten them as they become looser, I suppose as the stuffing gets squashed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tight enough so there is no movement inside the boot (except for the ability to flex toes), but not so tight as to make the circulation stop. Over-tightening is no substitute for a good fit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eeyore, wot everyone else said.

I wear my boots loose or tight depending on whatever, and it makes no difference to my foot comfort. Except for my last holiday, when I got scared and spent the whole first day "gripping the snow with my feet" in the vain hope it would somehow help. Put my arches into agony for days! Spent the rest of the holiday conciously flexing my toes in the opposite direction every time they started cramping up. A lesson would've helped too...but I was bloody-minded.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think I have my boots a bit tighter than the above posters.

I start by doing the booster strap up a little, just to hold it in place. I then fasten the bottom buckle so that the buckle takes up the slack when its open at about 90*. I do this on each buckle as I work up to the top one, then give the booster strap a bit of a pull tight.

I then have a test flex of the boot. If I'm off for a day on the groomed I may tighten the top buckle and the booster strap a little further, if it's deeper stuff or bumps then I may slacken the booster and top buckle off a bit.

I sometimes check that the buckles on each boot are about as tight as each corresponding buckle, by ear (is the click just as loud as the buckles fasten?) and feel (if I close both at the same time does each buckle click at the same time?).

Try with loose boots, try with tight boots, use whatever floats yer boat.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill wrote:
I think I have my boots a bit tighter than the above posters.

I start by doing the booster strap up a little, just to hold it in place. I then fasten the bottom buckle so that the buckle takes up the slack when its open at about 90*. I do this on each buckle as I work up to the top one, then give the booster strap a bit of a pull tight.

Many variables here. For example, are you sitting down or standing as you do this?

I'm convinced that sitting down -> tighter boots since the ankle isn't flexed and the calf can sit higher. Try the same thing whilst sitting down and pointing your toes as you're doing up the booster strap to see even more of what I mean.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, I always fix the buckles tightness whilst sitting down.

However once I've got my settings "sorted" by the above method I tend to just ski like that all day every day. That means at the moment I buckle my boots on hooks 2,2,3,2 on each side. So I just do them up in that pattern (sitting or stood) unless I think the liners have packed out a bit more, in which case I'd go through the resetting routine again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have quite narrow feet and so I do tighten up my buckles a little more than usual. BUT!!!... this season I have had them a little looser (although even before I never suffered any discomfort) and have found that I have increased awareness of how I am pressuring the front of the boots during turns.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I walk down to the ski room, put my boots on, and then do the buckles up until they feel right. If when I'm skiing they're too loose then I tighten them, if they're too tight I loosen them. This method has never failed me. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, we need an unbiased study with a bigger sample population before we can really believe this.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like most others I usually have my boots at a "finger-tight" and find that I make them BIT tighter as the day goes on. If I'm attempting sometghing a bit challenging then I will try to get them a little tighter. This seems to be at variance with marc gledhill, who appears to slacken his boots off.
snow report
I was always told that the feeling when your boots were done up should be like a firm handshake ie some grip but not too tight. One thing to consider is what is your ability to flex your ankles and lower legs. If you cant and find yourself locked into position, the boots are too tight. We spent the first part of a course with the instructor getting everyone to loosen off their too tight boots, especially the upper buckles. so that we all could increase the ability to flex. If you get through the day and you are not slopping about in the boot or alternatively screaming in pain, that is a good sign thast it is about right. We were also told about Foxs point about putting the power strap below the shell, which I found very helpful
ski holidays
halfhand, most people are at variance with me and I'm well known for slackening off. wink

What do you mean by challenging though? Steep pistes or bumps?
latest report
'Just' tight enough wink .... Try skiing with loose (or for the more adventurous...) undone buckles. Then re-tighten them and find that they don't need to be as tight as you'd thought.. snowHead

Have you noticed that w/c racers almost always undo their boots in the finish area ? Puzzled That's why they go so fast, can't wait to get the damn things off ! Laughing
snow report
Tight enough to be secure on my feet, maybe too tight sometimes. At home the fit is perfect but on the hill I fiddle a bit and pain is a factor sometimes
ski holidays
JT wrote:
At home the fit is perfect but on the hill I fiddle a bit and pain is a factor sometimes

Yup, home fit is a lot different - in a warm, dry place, probably 20C or more warmer than when they'll be in use.
That's one of the problems with buying boots - the perfect fit in the shop may not be so perfect when you hit the hill.
latest report
My boots vary from day to day as well. Some days I'll do them up in the morning, have no problem with them at all, even be dancing in them in the evening. The very next day, on the very same notches on the clips, and they'll be murder, on and off all day long. I think that part of it for me is that the longer I stay stood still on them, the more uncomfortable they get, but if I'm actually skiing on them then it's not a problem.
latest report
Hmm, glad I'm not the only one who tries to dig their 'claws' in. Is there such a thing as a valium shot for feet?

What about sock thickness, any one think that makes a difference?
snow report
marc gledhill, I guess "challenging" depends on your personal level. If it's a bit steeper and/or bumpier then I'll tighten up, if it's just steeper and well groomed then I'll probably leave alone. I am not great technically and am happier on reds and well groomed blacks. Bumpier blacks make me ski like Graham Norton with an orange between my a**e-cheeks! Laughing

Eeyore, Conventional wisdom seems to be with thin socks which I was always sceptical of. When I bought my boots last year, the boot-fitted advised that hornmal everyday socks would be fine for the fitting. I now use thin purpose designed ski socks, feet don't get too cold and my boots have nolded linings and footbeds. V. comfortable.
snow conditions
I start with less tight settings in the morning, then add one or two notches on the front ones. If I am on piste, I will tighten the top two plus strap more than I would off-piste, because I think there's more need for flex on uneven surfaces and variable snow conditions than on hard groomed snow.
snow conditions
Eeyore, My new business idea - botox for the feet Puzzled
ski holidays
I leave the two buckles on my feet as loose as possible, and have always been taught that the most important one is the lowest one on the ankle, that should be tight then it'll hold everything else into place. Try skiing with all your buckles undone - it'll improve your balance no end!

I'll have to buy new boots next season though as my feet are mysteriously shrinking from a size 7 to a size 5.5 Shocked and then I'll have to go through the whole painful rigmarole of finding the "right" settings for my feet.

But I too have had the instructor do up buckles so tight they made my feet turn blue... I undid them as soon as his back was turned. Little Angel
latest report
Nice warm liners in the morning (overnight on the rad) are lovely but I found this year that if you put the liners in the wrong boot (left in right & vice versa), they're not very comfy regardless of what you do with the buckles Shocked rolling eyes

Happily, I was on the bus when I realised so it wasn't a problem.
latest report
The 2 buckles across the foot should not be tight, they are really just to close the boot (you should be able to wiggle your toes, but not have your foot able to waggle from side to side). The higher of these two buckles will put pressure on the arteries feeding the feet, if it is too tight. ie if you get cramp in the base of your foot, then that buckle is probably too tight.

Next the cuff buckles should be pretty firm, with, in my view, a damn good yank on the power strap. If you don't have these tight then every time you tip your legs to make a carve there will be a delayed reaction at the ski whilst your calves legs take up the slack in the boot, before actually moving the boot.

Loosening the cuffs for drills to find your centre of balance is helpful, but keeping them loose to help ankle flex isn't really that good. Your boot has a joint in it for ankle flex, and good boots generally have a degree of adjustment in it, to make the flex soft or hard. You only need a small amount of flex at the ankle to make a big difference to the angle of ski tip.

So for me it's loose lowers, tight uppers, and a good yank !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beeryletcher wrote:

So for me it's loose lowers, tight uppers, and a good yank !

Sounds kinda of painful to me, think I'd prefer Scarpa's botox suggeston (won't that also stop them smelling too? Bonus!) Confused Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

Kramer, we need an unbiased study with a bigger sample population before we can really believe this.

comprex,

Kramer is a doctor: this is how medical research is routinely undertaken.
ski holidays
Sometimes i take it so tight i use a stick to help me up it, the 1 finger technique thing is bs u use it - u die (for me, for other ppl who take it bit slower it might be ok)
ski holidays
Chemist, who fitted your boots for you? Cause if you need them that tight, they aren't fitted properly!
latest report
Chemist, please try not to use mobile phone text on this forum, some of the older people can't understand it wink
snow report
Sorry I normally write with people that play games and stuff so they have their little 1337 talk thing going on and I got use to it Sad...

I tried many boots, my trainer told me its ok and the tighter the better (I do races so if i dont make them really really really tight it feals... crap... unsecure, and you know sometimes it takes me 10 mins to put them on, and later in the day that setting is not tight enough so i tighten more. my tip is x (x = much as it goes) tight, same with bottom mid, x-1/2 in top mid, x-1/2. When i get on the lift sometimes or just after the course it hurts so much I can't even bare like 5 mins. of it. But if i make it less, i feal unsecure
snow conditions
Chemist, for racing you will need them tighter than recreational skiers, however you may eventually find a pair of boots with a perfect fit, if you do, treasure them as if they were made of solid gold
latest report
"Tighter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut"?

PS - name that film?
latest report
David Murdoch, I believe Robin Williams said 'hotter'.

The usage I'm familiar with is 'lower than'.
ski holidays
comprex, I believe you are right.

The "lower than" usage has nothing to do with combat aircraft does it?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, it was an ex-USN(submarine) Texas rancher talking about someone's intelligence, so Puzzled
snow report
David Murdoch, Was it by any chance from "Hot Dog"? Sounds like it!

Chemist, To do your boots so tight for anything EXCEPT racing would not be a good idea. Mine are almost never really done up at all, but then all day I'm teaching so skiing well below my own level. If I go skiing I do actaully do all the buckles up (!), and if skiing seriously I might even tighten them up a bit too!!! Most people will not put up with the pain! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy