Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying appartment - dont understand - french speakers HEEEEELP please

Poster: A snowHead
Some of you may already know - but Steve got a bit hooked on Les Arcs on his recent ski jaunt... and we've signed up for an off plan appartment in Bourg St Maurice.
Really scary today we got the contract from the builder so are in the 7 day period in which we could change our minds...

Trying my best to read the covering letter... think I understand most of it except this sentence:

"Afin de repondre au mieux a vos interrogations, nous vous remercions de bein vouloir prendre contact avec votre conseiller dans les meilleurs delais pour convenir d'un rendez vous avec le service technique"

They seem to be asking us to make contact with someone.... It appears to be our "conseiller" - but I have no idea who that is?? And why??

It comes straight after this sentence "Dans le cadre de votre achat en Residence Principale, il vous est possible d'acceder a certains choix de decoration suivant l'avancement des travaux de votre residence" - which I think is telling us we can make some choices about decoration.

Thanks in anticipation
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not quite sure who your "conseilleur" is but they shoul emake contacty with the builders or architect (service technique). Second para is saying you can have choice (up to a point). You need to be there, see the agency, make your choices, and make sure they know what they are.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's true, conseilleur is somewhat ambiguous imo but "sales adviser" would make most sense to me, so they can liaise between you and the techies
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have trouble with translating anything, you can always go into the website babelfish.altavista.com and enter your text in the box and the website will translate it for you.

In order to answer as well as possible has your interrogations, we thank you bein for wanting to contact your adviser within the best times to be appropriate of one return with the engineering department (this was the first part of your posting)

Within the framework of your purchase in Main home, it is possible of acceder has certain choices of decoration for you according to the progress of the work of your residence (that was the second part of your posting - to do with your decoration)

Hope all goes well.

Au Revior!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A word of warning, you need to be careful about Babelfish - it can get the "who's doing what to whom" the wrong way round occasionally. From a strictly translation point of view, it's clear that "conseilleur" is adviser, the question is what sort of adviser? I hope the OP can make more sense of the context than we have available here. If in doubt, ring 'em!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jayne durham, when we bought our off-plan place in Serre Che, we had a choice of tiles, paints, bathroom fittings, and to some extent the kitchen units, and the flooring type. If you bought via an agent, they should be able to help you with this. Other things I'd advise you to look out for are that the fittings you receive are those that are listed in the description. You should have one of these with the contract. They will probably write to you at an appropriate time to tell you where you need to go to choose these.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with eng_ch: you'd be mad to trust babelfish on a legal matter!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Babelfish has a place for finding out in the broadest general terms what a document is goin gon about - but as laundryman says, rely on it at your peril!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jayne durham, sorry, can't ghelp with the French, but just wanted to say "good choice"! Where will the apartment be?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wow... thanks for all the replies...wot would we do without snowheads eh!
ummm jb 1970 am I supposed to be able to understand babelfish?? Have to agree with those who say it would be a bit dodgy to rely on them for legal stuff!
Eng ch - I wondered if it meant our estate agent - (we got the appartment via one of the big agents in Bourg St Maurice) but according to my french dictionary - the word just means "expert" - I'll probably contact our agent on Monday and ask what they mean.. Just wondered if it was an obvious word to others.
Helen - I dont post very much but probably read practically everything that is ever written - so it had occurred to me that at some point I might want to ask lots of questions you know the answers to!! We keep moving between "really excited" and "must be mad" at the mo.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jayne durham, I guess it would make sense for it to be your estate agent. But one of the best pieces of advice I can give you is if in doubt, ask! Whenever anything isn't clear, whether to do with the language or the system, just ask them and don't do anything until you're absolutely sure you understand everything.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rob - looks like you cant even ghelp with the English.... you bin at the wine again?? Where are you... Les Arcs or home??
Its very near the funicular - behind Lidl - 5 mins from rail station...
Couldnt afford one like yours!! - but its a start eh.
They all sold really quickly - by the time we decided we were interested (kinda corresponding with the sinking realisation for Steve that he had to go home!) there were only 2 left - so we didnt have a choice which floor we were on and which way we faced etc - but it seemed a good price for the size and we've got underground parking - which considering the amount of snow we saw this year feels like a good move!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng ch - thanks for that.... We got our signed contract from the builder today - so we have 7 days to change our minds... I've sent an email off to our agent asking the questions that are real pull out ones and asked for a reply by tomorrow... Hope that is tough enough!
ahhhh now I need wine
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayne durham, loads of info from all our Snowheads apartment owners here and on other threads on the Chalets and Apartments forum, feel free to PM me if you want to know anything at all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you know bug all about French law and don't speak French either I recommend John Howell & Co (see Google) for legal services etc. We used them when buying our place, and though I wouldn't bother again (as I now know what I'm about) they were excellent in every respect. Worth it for peace of mind.
ski holidays
If I am going to be a neighbour to PG I would make use of his local knowledge in Bourg.
ski holidays
jayne durham wrote:
Rob - looks like you cant even ghelp with the English.... you bin at the wine again?? Where are you... Les Arcs or home??

How did you guess Wink

No, at home now. Not back to Les Arcs until the 8th (same time as you and Steve I thihnk). There seems to be a growing snowHeads community around the golden triangle of Les Arcs, BSM, La Plagne Smile
latest report
Rob@rar.org.uk - more like Bermuda triangle,methinks....
snow report
Helen - may well pm you if you dont mind at some point when I work out what I dont know!
Lizzard - at the mo we havent got an English solicitor. As it is new build - we arent sure if it is necessary - and they are jolly expensive usually... but having had a quick look at the thread Helen linked to - we probably need at least some advice from someone on inheritance law.

Rob - didnt realise you were back at the same time as us... maybe we'll have that beer this time. Our daughter is also coming out for a few days (says the only way she can get to see us this year is to come to the Alps - poor neglected child)
snow report
jayne durham,
Quote:

As it is new build - we arent sure if it is necessary - and they are jolly expensive usually.

I'm assuming that you are UK based. So would you buy a newbuild over here without a solicitor? You feel competent enough to do the necessary land searches in French? Viewed and interpreted the planning permissions? Able to read and interpret the covenants etc
Remember that "your" Agent, is the Agent for the complex and will have his/her own agenda.
We own property in Spain, and are buying in Switzerland as well. In the last 5 years we have encountered lots of crooks, all happy to take advantage of the innocent British abroad.
latest report
It's not necessary to have a solicitor in either country, but given that you don't understand the paperwork, it's probably a good idea. John Howell charged us £700 for their basic property-buying package. They are very clear about what that includes, and what their charges are should you want them to do anything extra. (ie 'jolly expensive, as you say!)
ski holidays
Lizzard, We have also used John Howell & Co. In comparison to the amount of money we were spending, and the potential for being ripped off, not very expensive IMHO wink
latest report
slightly off track, but has anyone done any analysis on buying a property and covering your own costs via renting it? Is it a viable proposition?

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
jayne durham, you will need a French will, get a French qualified lawyer to explain IHT to you, it's very different to the UK. Stephen Smith is a very useful resource and worth consulting, he is dual qualified and has connections with a number of good French lawyers, he can be contacted at info@stephensmith france.com, I have no connection with him other than as a client, he has certainly saved me a fair amount of money compared to other lawyers I've used in the past when buying and selling property in France.
ski holidays
gregh, I've done it and its a lot of grief. OK while there is a rising market but I don't think overall that its worthwhile even if you live in France.
latest report
Especially here, I'd say - you can't charge anything like the rent you could in the UK.
ski holidays
gregh, I've done it, and so far it's been great. I have covered my winter costs with the rent I have received so far this winter. However, we never intended it to be a business that made a huge profit. First and foremost it's for our own pleasure. We've had the peak weeks full, and nearly all of March. Some Summer bookings will be a bonus.
snow report
"Afin de repondre au mieux a vos interrogations, nous vous remercions de bein vouloir prendre contact avec votre conseiller dans les meilleurs delais pour convenir d'un rendez vous avec le service technique"

In order to better answer your inquiries, they are inviting (actually thanking, it would seem a form of being polite) you to contact your agent/dealer to set up a meeting with "technical services" at your convenience.

BTW I would also engage a legal professional to act on my behalf.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Ghost....
Will think more about legal side of things.
ski holidays
jayne durham, email me a copy if you like, I can let you know if anything bizarre leaps off the page at me Wink
ski holidays
thanks so much for the offer PG - we've only got hard copy of the prelim contract at the mo. Steve has already sent a copy to someone he knows through work to have a look at... and I'm struggling through it with my french dictionary at the mo! I'm not doing badly - its just when you come across what are obviously legal words or phrases that arent straightforward.
But I may take you up on the offer if we get stuck further down the line...
Might see you when we come back to Les Arcs in a couple of weeks??
latest report
jayne durham, when we were buying our place, I emailed the developer, and the agent and asked them nicely,'' if they would mind awfully sending us everything by email first, as the postal service is not terribly reliable and will make sure we don't miss any important deadlines''. They still posted us everything, but emailed it all too. Just as well, as our final bill arived in the Christmas post well after we'd left for Serre Chevalier, fortunately we got the email just in time, and were able to set up the bank transfer before we left.
snow conditions
Helen that is such a good idea - thanks! Even now I had spotted that when we go away at Easter - that is exactly when we are likely to get our first payment request - and we seem to have to pay within 8 days or we get interest charged etc.
...off to have a go at another 2 paragraphs of translation.... should just about be finished by 2007 when the appartment is ready!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy