Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you think resort workers have a general tendency to be patronising about holiday makers?

Poster: A snowHead
Holiday makers are the bread and butter of a ski resort yet I read so much about how resort workers often degrade them as 'punters'. Whilst in the majority of cases this term is deployed unconsciously as a figure of speech it nonetheless reveals the degree of contempt to which this vital sector of the skiing community is held.

I suspect the term loosely refers to the two week 'holiday hacker' who'll get down anything but with little technique and is there to have a good time. These holiday makers are merely viewed as conduits to the real business of resort workers having a good time themselves and getting on with the real business of 'freeriding'.

Having worked in the ski industry and now being a 'punter' myself, it's often nice to see how poor these resort workers are at skiing and snowboarding themselves. My mind goes back to 1993 when a Crystal 'guide' joined our group of 'punters' for a day of off-piste (sorry, that's now called 'freeriding') in Val D'isere. He was full of the non-sensical skiing mantras and wore all of the garb to identify himself as some sort of authority but could he ski? Like hell could he! Falling over every three turns, holding us back, getting stressed-what a laugh! Ironically, we did see him later in the week 'guiding' the easily impressed on a green run above Solaise; we didn't want to spoil the illusion so we held back from telling his 'punters' the limitations he had!

So the next time you hear a so called authority deride holiday skiers as 'punters' you might want to think about what they're trying to convey and hide.........

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-03-06 16:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
I read so much about how resort workers often degrade them as 'punters'.
Really? Where?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was hugely impressed with the resort workers on our recent trip to La Rosiere. All from tour reps to lifties were a delight
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well, on natives for a start.

I think it depends - there is a fairly vocal minority with this attitude, mainly IMV "seasonnairs", but among those who live in the mountains year round you can find real welcome
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
well, on natives for a start
Ah. I don't read comics Wink

Seasonnaires, then. I've certainly heard the 'real' locals take the mickey out of them enough times, especially the British version which somehow seems brasher than the rest.

Locals can be considerably more critical of seasonnaires than the tourists themselves, in fact.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG-er, just use the search engine on this site and you'll get a miscellany of articles that refer to us 'punters' in varying shades of admiration.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-03-06 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only time I've come across that attitude is with (young) British TO workers. Never been aware of it among the Brit ski instructors I know, or among local resort workers. Natives has good (bad) examples for saisonnaires mocking punters/billies, although by no means would all the TO workers I've come into contact with fall into that category.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd tend to agree Rob.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some excellent examples of the hubris of English resort workers on that Natives site! I've just read one about a worker losing his rag with punters skiing off piste-hilarious!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have always found resort workers to be pretty good, only gripe would be with TO rep's in general.
Considering some of the pra*s that lift operators etc have to deal with I think most do a pretty good job. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can honestly say that I haven't come across this attitude face-to-face, from British or French resort workers. Maybe I just don't notice. Funnily enough, I've felt it in the States, to a small extent, with a condescending attempt to fob off me and the family with inferior rental kit on the grounds that we obviously had inflated opinions of our abilities. Curious, since plastic is king in the States, usually.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevin mcclean wrote:
PG-er, just use the search engine on this site and you'll get a miscellany of articles that refer to us 'punters' in varying shades of admiration.
Point me to one that emanates from a resort worker, as per your original post.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sniffing the air for non-sequitur's are we, PG!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just trying to make sense of just who you are suggesting may be guilty of alleged derision - and failing so far. Seasonnaires? Ex-pats? Locals? Perhaps the whole lot, lumped into the same bag?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Didn't meet any seasonaires at LDA - unless you include easiski, and Lyn and Pete of scuba-ski. And they were very pleasant to me. Well - to my face, anyway wink Well, I did feel hard done-by when easiski was criticising my style on frozen hard pack crust in a blizzard with a roaring, freezing wind. But hey, that's a perfectionist for you, and she was just making sure I was getting value for money snowHead

The resort locals were great, too. Very friendly - and tolerant of my attempts at French Very Happy
ski holidays
I have just got back from seeing my daughter who is working the season in Morzine. My heart dropped when I saw where she was working, a bit like Colditz with a motorway cafe attached to the side. The rooms for the guests were pretty dire but the staff accomodation was on a level with a stay at HM Strangeways, four to a room. She knew what she was letting herself in for, long hours, little pay etc before she started, but she was not expecting the added pressure of dealing with lots of paying customers angry with the holiday they had been sold. She could have left. She was offered other work with a better TO but she decided to stay and make the best of it because of the friends she had made amoungst the staff. Out of loyality to each other they have tried to make the stay for the guests the best possible given the circumstances. it has worked in that she has twice had tips left for her of over £100 from guests so she and her colleagues must be doing something right.
There must be over 70 staff at the hotel and there maybe one or two who would fit the description of the title of this thread. The overwhelming majority try to make the stay for the guests a good one.
latest report
Surely the "punters" are just the paying public? i.e. those who pay to be in the skiing environment as opposed to being paid to be there? I have no qualms whatsoever about calling myself a punter.
snow conditions
Good grief: some snowHead snowHead snowHead are a wee bit over-sensitive! Does it matter if resort workers call us punters? I am sure every profession who deal with the public refer to them as "punters" now & then. Get over it! I am a punter and proud of it. I'd rather be that, than get a job in the ski industry and have one of my favorite hobbies turned into WORK.
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
Surely the "punters" are just the paying public? i.e. those who pay to be in the skiing environment as opposed to being paid to be there? I have no qualms whatsoever about calling myself a punter.
I don't mind calling myself a punter, but when I say it about myself I don't mean it to be a derisive term. That does not always seem to be the case with a minority of TO reps that I've met.
ski holidays
Well there seem to be a minority of seasonnaires who forget who's paying for them to be there in the first place and don't seem to have clocked that they're there to work, not just have a paid holiday. As far as I can see, the question is really about the attitudes of some seasonnaires - worrying about a term that we all use and usually in a relatively affectionate way just clouds the issue
snow report
Isn't that the same in any industry/workplace?
ski holidays
Lorraine wrote:
Isn't that the same in any industry/workplace?

Yes, I think it is. There are a minority of people who aren't temperamentally suited to front line service with the public.
snow report
I don't see the problem? Surely we _are_ punters?
snow report
This thread seems to be the reverse of one you might find on Natives. I am a punter and a seasonaire,
it seems to me that this is punters moaning about seasonaires. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

Well there seem to be a minority of seasonnaires who forget who's paying for them to be there in the first place and don't seem to have clocked that they're there to work, not just have a paid holiday

That'd be the gap-year kiddies then. Parents: please disabuse your teenagers of the idea that 'doing a season' would be a good thing when they have no work experience and don't understand about alarm clocks.
snow report
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Personally I dislike the term "punter" as I do think it has derisory connotations, but it's better than being called "sheep" which I've heard some reps using when talking about their customers. Shocked
latest report
There's a vast difference between those who work in the ski industry and have chosen to make a career of it, and those who are just out for a season or two after uni before starting work. The former tend to be more mature in their attitude - aware that it is a service industry, and without customers it wouldn't exist. The latter are generally just there to have a good time, and it is the arrogant attitude of (some, ot all) of this type of person that leads to the derogatory useage of the word "punter". However, I don't think this attitude is confined to them in their short stint as seasonaires. They are also the people who behave like idiots whilst on holiday with their uni ski club, and at a later stage of life when they have themselves become "punters" and are back with their families, they'll be the ones being the arrogant pr*ts again, thinking they own the mountain cos they did a season there once 10 years ago...

Just my view anyway.
snow report
kevin mcclean wrote:
Holiday makers are the bread and butter of a ski resort yet I read so much about how resort workers often degrade them as 'punters'. Whilst in the majority of cases this term is deployed unconsciously as a figure of speech it nonetheless reveals the degree of contempt to which this vital sector of the skiing community is held.

I fail to see what a bunch of semi-professional toilet cleaners on 2 quid an hour for three months a year so they can ski on the two afternoons a week they're not hungover have got to be clever about Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise,
Quote:

a bunch of semi-professional toilet cleaners on 2 quid an hour

That would imply that some training has been undertaken wink
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

a bunch of semi-professional toilet cleaners on 2 quid an hour

That would imply that some training has been undertaken wink

True, I only mean it in the context that they're being paid, nearly, for the activity.
snow report
ise,
Quote:

True, I only mean it in the context that they're being paid, nearly, for the activity.

Next time I pick up the Harpic and the brush, I must remember to act semi-professionally, since I'm nearly being paid Very Happy
snow conditions
ise,
Quote:

I fail to see what a bunch of semi-professional toilet cleaners on 2 quid an hour for three months a year so they can ski on the two afternoons a week they're not hungover have got to be clever about

Perhaps Natives website could explain all Little Angel
ski holidays
Why is it that many of the seasonaires I spoke to were on their 2nd or longer year in resort working for the same company and LOVING IT

EDIT: And doing a great job
latest report
Love my job, most relaxed thing ive ever done, as long as you know what to expect and whats expected of you. No bills to pay, no commute to work. Pays crap, perks are great, can say the former not the latter about most jobs! I'd love to come back next season for the same company im working for now.

The only time i've heard Billys or punters mentionned is when we're told not to "fall in love" with them rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

thinking they own the mountain cos they did a season there once 10 years ago...

I just love those ones. "I've done your job you know" (usually said while complaining loudly about something utterly ridiculous). What, you've been responsible for 20 properties and 50 staff across two resorts? Odd, I could swear I heard you say you'd repped for Airtours for half a season back in the '80s.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

The only time i've heard Billys or punters mentionned is when we're told not to "fall in love" with them

well not before thursdays, incase they want commitment Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Love my job, most relaxed thing ive ever done, as long as you know what to expect and whats expected of you. No bills to pay, no commute to work. Pays crap, perks are great, can say the former not the latter about most jobs! I'd love to come back next season for the same company im working for now.

The only time i've heard Billys or punters mentionned is when we're told not to "fall in love" with them rolling eyes
Nice one Nads. Very Happy snowHead
latest report
On other industries using the term, a few years ago William Hill the bookmakers had in their training, advice to their staff along the lines of:
Never call your Customers, Punters because one day you will muck your words up and call them a Pustomer or even the other way round Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I think the term 'punter' is used to describe all tourists but primarily the one week package tour ones. I thinks it's a natural development and sort of a 'cool' thing to differentiate the cool (and usually young) resort workers from the uncool tourists. If you're working a season you will naturally build up a network of friends and to some extent, particularly on your time off, you don't necessarily want to spend your time with the people who are only there for a week. It's an obvious term to differentiate yourselves.

Skiing/Boarding ability does come in to it as a way to differentiate too, as a resort worker should be pretty good but let's be honest who hasn't at some point looked down on the divot who has just fallen off the steep drag lift in front of them or the gaggle of one week snowboarders making love to each other as you attempt to get off a chair.

In summary I know the term is used and in a mildly derogatory way but to be honest it doesn't really worry me. I'm not going to get all PC and start a campaign to be referred to as a 'guest' at all times, even by workers in their personnel time.

Good post kevin mcclean, you come up with a lot of the more interesting angles.
snow conditions
Quote:

even by workers in their personnel time.

As long as we don't gravitate to the awful 'co-workers' term for members of staff wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy