Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which one?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all.
In here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=23356&highlight=#23356

I was "thinking out loud" about mid fats.
Now, rummaging around in my favourites ski shops I've found:
-Head Monsters im 75 railfles 170 cm with bindings at 539 € (but this is
open for discussion)
-Salomon Xscream pilot 10 hot in 185
-Salomon Xscream pilot 10 extra hot in 175
Both at 430-440 € w/ bindings
-Rossi B2 176 cm at 500 € w/ bindings

Now the big question, assuming you had the money, which one would you choose?
I know that demo b4 buy should be a must...but the time for demoing is long gone this season.
P.S. I'm 175 cm tall (short) 72-75 kg heavy, ok skier who has spent 97% of the past years on lift served areas groomed runs.
Still, if conditions are good, I do not dodge the "call of the wild" for a
nice off-piste time....provided I don't haveto skin my way there, let's say that as long as I can reach a peak with a lift, I'm ok.
I skied most of my skiing life on GS skis in different lenghts, my current skis are 198 cm long. And off piste with these I tire pretty quick...
Ta for any input, Matt.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon either the Rossi's or the Heads would suit you down to the ground. Prices
aren't to bad either depending on which binding he's offering with the B2's.
I've skied the B2 and loved it. I haven't skied the Head, but the feed back I've had is that it can do it all.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Matteo, i'm not going to be of much help as of your list I have only skied Salomon Xscream pilot 10 hot. I was not going to comment as I thought 185 too long, but then I read you were used to 198GS skis.

I think the Hot Pilots are lovely friendly skis, and have happily ambled around on them for 2 years. I'm 172cm and 70 kg. I ski 50:50 on-piste:off-piste. Until recently I would have unreservedly recommended them. Then they were stolen.....

Now I'm not sure if they are a superb ski that makes the whole thing easy, or they flatter and make you lazy.

My replacement skies were Xmatch 10s. I soon realised that if you didn't stay firmly in charge these skis would do their own thing. Occasionally on flat easy slopes, I had the alarmng feeling I had forgotten how to turn. The skis wouldn't do what I wanted. With some effort I would wrench back control and all was fine again. They never let me down on steep slopes or difficult conditions.

So, if you want an easy life, get the Hot Pilots. If you want to keep being challenged, get one of the others.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks markp, jonpim.
I am now at a stage of my life where I think there is a difference between being challenged "technically" and being challenged "phisically".
I can't hold my own anymore against physically demanding skis, even if I feel I could still against "technically" demanding ones...
I reckon that there may be no distinction between the two definitions, or that the borderline between it's very garbled and thin...
As a comparison, on my first ski out of the 2003-2004 season,I felt my 198 gs were asking tooo much to my body, and by chance happend to notice a Salomon stand offering free demos. I went there more out of curiosity, and I wanted to demo the hots, but there were none available, so the choice was between Pocket Rockets and Crossmax 10... Since I had no intention to ski off piste that day I took the Crossmax 10 in 180...after a small fore/aft adjustment (I was pressuring the showel too much, and thought the skis a bit softer) I loved them, I felt I could do the same things I was doing with my 198 gs and some more while at the same time employng a bit less energy. Needless to say that I did not return the skis until the end of the day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it was for an all round ski, I'd go with the B2, without a doubt.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, Still after the Crossmax's I'm found the B2s pretty heavy going (and heavy per se) on piste when I used a pair the other week, although with obvious advantages on powder. Age/build/fitness is a factor of course, and at the time I was feeling old and unfit (and have always been a lightweight)!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What size were they PG? I have a friend who's six foot plus, about 180lbs and a pretty decent skier and he prefered the 170 by far.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Matteo, For what it's worth my ski instructor earlier this year was skiing Head Monsters and he reckoned they are a grand all round ski, both on and off piste - said he would choose them over any of the other five pairs he had at home!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG Right, but we should keep in mind that the crossmax are nearly a GS ski, with a waist of 66, thereas the B2 have a waist of 75, so, could be not so quck at changing edges as the Crossmax....
FoxAre the B2 soft?, let me clarify, B2 are sold mainly in the Valle d'Aosta region, (in fact that's where my friends has found them) as the ZAG skis of another thread, this because they have- in Valle D'Aosta- an approach to ski similar to the French one- less groomed and more all terrain- and softer snow, due also to the fact htat they do not use as extensively "programmed snow" and groom as maniacally as in Alto Adige/SuedTirol (IMHO) In Alto Adige/SuedTirol and Lombardy, the snow is heavier (more moisture in the mix), and the piste runs snow more compact (or moresolid?), due to the grooming (as an example I dare anyone to find a bump run in the Sella Ronda area which lasts more than one day)
So, homphomp the Head would seem more indicated for all orund skis in places where there is a good chance to stay in the piste a lot...

I know that I'm asking to compare different skis in different lenghts, but hey we have to spend the summer away somehow, right? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Matteo, the B2s are not a stiff ski, but I wouldn't call them soft - they are stiffer than a Crossmax 8. I have skied with Oboe (epic) when he was on his Bandits, and they coped well on and off piste. I've seen a lot of skiers in Snowbird on them, and most people there make some trips into powder.
I think their biggest weakness would be at high speeds - since you've skiied on 200+ skis, you may find the limit of these, but only if you are really pushing fast. (the latest Italian Police car would keep up with you, no problem)
HTH
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, that helps, as I said, Fox, as you point out soft and stiff are relative terms.
Hahahaha, you know where they plan to use that?
In Calabria, on an highly congested motorway nonetheless....
Money thrown away, IMHO (but Lamborghini offered it as a gift to the police)
As for speeds, well, I never skied "high speeds", so I doubt I would notice, good to know, though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy