Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair planning baggage charge

Poster: A snowHead
Low-cost airline Ryanair is to begin charging passengers extra for checking in their baggage before flights.
The Dublin-based carrier said people with bags and cases would be charged £2.50 (3.50 euros) for every item of luggage checked in from 16 March.

Ryanair said it was introducing the charge in an effort to reduce airport handling costs.

The airline said passengers carrying only hand luggage would avoid the extra fee and be able to check in online

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4647906.stm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gregh, Damn that man, he will charge extra for seats next Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny wrote:
gregh, Damn that man, he will charge extra for seats next Evil or Very Mad

But just as long as Ryanair offer lower prices than other carriers, does it matter how much they itemise their charges? As someone who flys mostly with hand luggage only I think this is a great idea.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's fair enough, I reckon. If you've only paid £20 for your fight what's an extra £5 for two bags?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hyweljenkins,
Quote:

It's fair enough, I reckon. If you've only paid £20 for your fight what's an extra £5 for two bags?

Thats, each bag each way, and if you fly a lot, it certainly adds up Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny wrote:
if you fly a lot, it certainly adds up Evil or Very Mad

Will this extra charge make them more expensive than other carriers?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, I use Skyscanner to check my prices. Next trip is with squeezyjet...Ryanair were too pricey, without their little add-on Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ryanair's long term strategy is to do away with checked baggage altogether and allow only hand baggage. This is just one step on the way...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm all in favour of fully itemised pricing structures. You pick which bits of the service you want and don't pay for those you don't want.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds fair enough.. though I still think they should weigh the passengers as well!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think that the worst part of Ryanair is the £1.75 per person per flight cc booking fee or £0.40 per person per flight debit card booking fee.

These charges don't even appear as itemised until you've actually paid the bill Sad .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowbunny, then fly with a different airline such as BA, KLM, SAS, etc that doesn't impose the baggage fee.

I love all this whinging about low-cost airlines - Airline is a cracking programme. If you want to be treated like royalty and avoid luggage charges fly First Class with a grown-up airline.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, yes.. you should be able to book then pay em in cash when u check in.. see how they like that!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CANV CANVINGTON, some US airlines already do that for domestic flights.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hyweljenkins wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, some US airlines already do that for domestic flights.

leta face it, stateside we are talking some serious poundage !! Shocked
ski holidays
It's got to be impossible to take a skiing holiday with only hand luggage, so the poor old snowsports enthusiast takes it up the a**e again (figuratively speaking) Sad
snow report
halfhand wrote:
It's got to be impossible to take a skiing holiday with only hand luggage, so the poor old snowsports enthusiast takes it up the a**e again (figuratively speaking) Sad

I agree that its impossible to go skiing with just hand luggage, but surely it will be Ryanair who would get shafted by any decision to go to hand luggage-only? I can't imagine many people retiring from skiing because they can't fly with Ryanair - they will simply travel with another carrier.
snow report
halfhand, I managed it for a short trip Little Angel (but largely due to sharing the allowance with a pint sized daughter who used only about 4kg of her total allowance)
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, including boots?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, my boots yes, not skis (of course), she didn't have her own boots though.
snow report
Ray Zorro, I wouldn't have wanted to be downwind of you! Ok I'll admit a day trip but for overnights where you might conceivably want clean clothes and toiletries.....

Many stories of boots as hand luggage and coould probably stuff a toothbrush, clean skids and socks but I'd have to wear all my ski stuff all the time!
ski holidays
Oh no, this is terrible, what shall we do? Yes, let's complain! rolling eyes

If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere. Go back to the carrier you used before Easyjet/Ryanair etc came into existence.
latest report
halfhand, it was just a daytrip, but I think your first comment probably still stands anyway Laughing
snow report
I have just copied this bit below from a recent booking that I made.

BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE POLICY FOR ALL NEW FLIGHTS BOOKED FROM THE 16TH
MARCH 2006 ONWARDS
The checked baggage allowance is 20kg per person (no infant allowance)
No pooling/sharing of baggage allowances is permitted, even when
passengers are travelling together on the same reservation.

For bookings after the 16th March the allowance has increased from 15kg to 20kg, but I was a little confused about the sharing of baggage allowances - what would they do if a family put 2 people's stuff together in one larger bag that came out at 25kg (as we often do). Would this then become one persons allowance and they have to pay excess baggage charges for being over 20kg? Anyone able to interpret the Ryanair statement?
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:
what would they do if a family put 2 people's stuff together in one larger bag that came out at 25kg (as we often do). Would this then become one persons allowance and they have to pay excess baggage charges for being over 20kg?

Yes, that would be my reading of the T&Cs, but worth emailing Ryanair to confirm.

I guess that they will want to maximise the income they get from charging for luggage, so have new T&Cs to prohibit families packing all their stuff into one large suitcase and pooling their allowances.
latest report
hyweljenkins,
Quote:

snowbunny, then fly with a different airline such as BA, KLM, SAS, etc that doesn't impose the baggage fee.

I do, frequently.
snow conditions
Ryanair changed their T&C's re sharing baggage allowance some time ago, not sure exactly when. I booked just after Christmas for a flight to Grenoble next weekend and it was on them then.
snow conditions
Hmmm, just checked with them regarding the baggage sharing aspect as we use them often as a family and I hadn't seen that condition before.

No sharing - even between family members.

If you booked before 16th March, every bag must weigh less than 15kg or you will be charged excess of £5.50 per kg on anything over that figure.

If you booked after 16th March, every bag must weigh less than 20kg or you will be charged at £5.50 per kg on anything over that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All the cheapie airlines will get round to this.... Flybe do this now
snow conditions
Quote:

Ryanair's long term strategy is to do away with checked baggage altogether and allow only hand baggage.

Allowing them to use the hold space for freight, I presume.
ski holidays
Lizzard, they say they will save on handling charges and fuel by eliminating checked bags. But if the price is right, I bet they'll fill the holds with freight.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, Lizzard, no way will they carry freight. I'm booked to Grenoble on Monday and our flight from Stansted arrives at Grenoble at 1250, it departs at 1315 on it's return leg.

No chance of any freight being loaded and unloaded in a 25 minute turn around.

Any savings they make will be on local handling charges.

Also most airports I've flown to with them have no freight facilities at all, Charleroi, Perpingnan and Toulouse spring to mind immediately, little more than sheds !
snow conditions
bladeskier, no, it is for carrying freight, at least that's what the boss said a couple of years back when he announced it.

But by "freight" I don't mean 40 foot containers, it's more business parcels/post, etc, which can be loaded and unloaded like standard baggage.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, and if you had an important business document/package, would you trust it to Ryanair Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

For bookings after the 16th March the allowance has increased from 15kg to 20kg, but I was a little confused about the sharing of baggage allowances - what would they do if a family put 2 people's stuff together in one larger bag that came out at 25kg (as we often do). Would this then become one persons allowance and they have to pay excess baggage charges for being over 20kg? Anyone able to interpret the Ryanair statement?

Yes, we experienced this recently when I took three people to catch a Ryanair flight from Grenoble to Stansted. They had not actually noticed the 15kg limit, and had not been charged any extra to fly out from Stansted. Guess they got lucky - their combined baggage, including 3 lots of boots, weighed more than 45kgs but less than 60. But on the way back they were charged and told that there was no pooling. So they paid more than they would have done with pooled baggage. Still, they did better than the last friends I took to Grenoble, who found their easyjet flight cancelled because of a French ATC strike. Ryanair were still flying; I suppose they decided that ATC was one of the frills the could do without...
snow conditions
Quote:

no way will they carry freight

So they're going to fly about with empty hold space? I think not. Little freight things, as WTFH suggests.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy