Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vail, Colorado (United States)

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody been? I'm extremely new to these forums but from the very few topics I checked out it seems most people are from somewhere in Europe.

Any Americans out there? Coloradonians? I'm travelling up there (from California) for spring break in three weeks with my buddy. CANT WAIT!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GreenFloyd, I'm not American, but yes, I have been to Vail. It's a great place, you'll have a lot of fun. Where are you staying?
Head for the Sand Bar in the evening for drinks (it's in West Vail).
Bring your own meat to the BBQs at the top of Blue Sky Basin.
If you get powder days, head for the Mongolian Bowls, as they will be the least crowded.
And if you are anywhere near the ski school offices, go in and say hello to Ric from me.

If you're looking for a few more Americans, try www.epicski.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what I remember,GreenFloyd, - the car parking is pretty pricey! - esp. the underground car park!! - & the big refectory in the middle of the slope is gross!!
But don't let this put you off - just watch where you stick that SUV! Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi. Yank here, and Colorado resident.

If you have your heart set on Vail, then go. But, understand that Vail is one of the most expensive resorts there is. Lift tickets are $75 a day. Parking isn't free, food is expensive. It's very touristy, so you'll have a lot of novices and at this time of year, Texans, fighting for space on the trails. Beaver Creek is right next to Vail. You can't get there by traversing from Vail, however. Many people think the skiing is better on the Beaver Creek side, and it tends to not draw the crowds as much.

You can get discount lift tickets for some resorts at a local grocery store chain called King Soopers. Go to the customer service counter, and you'll be able to buy tickets for Vail, Breckenridge/Keystone, Copper Mountain, and some others.

If you don't have to go to Vail, then consider Copper Mountain. It's near Vail. You could also choose any of the Summit County resorts, which include Breck/Keystone and Arapahoe Basin (aka A basin).

My resort of choice is Winter Park. It's where I have my season pass, and I've been going there for 5 years. It's much more low key than any of the others because it used to be owned by the City of Denver. It's regarded as the locals mountain, but don't let that fool you. There are 134 trails that span 3 peaks. If you can do moguls, it has the best in the State. There is a decent bowl, and an enormous terrain park (along with a few smaller parks). You won't find as many tourists there. It doesn't have the glitz and glamour of Vail, but that's one of the things I like about it.

If you need more info or anything. I'd be happy to help.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads Cyclenaut, snowHead

And thanks for a brilliant summary of your neighbourhood!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that, although truth be told after living in the UK I'm desperate to get back. My friends there think I'm nuts to want to live there vs. here, but home is where the heart is, and there are no Tangfastics here! wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WEll the thing is I already have a 5 day lift ticket and lodging that I purchased as a part of a package. WE are already going to VAIL Happy! I'm just curious how the conditions will be In the first couple weeks of April?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were there last year, only for a day, in early April. It was soft, definitely past its best, but still some great skiing. If the weather is warm (as it certainly was last year), you'll need to head for the back bowls first thing in the morning; they seem to soften up quickly (I think that they're south facing). Game bowl stays in better condition for longer in the day, I think, but it's small (good fun, though).

If things are really soft, or if you just fancy a change, head for Breckenridge; I think it'll be on your lift pass. It's higher, and the snow should still be A1. There's plenty of good skiing to be had there. Keystone is also worth a short day, maybe two if the snow is good; it is likely to be in similar condition to Vail. A-basin was either shut or very limited this time last year, I think.

One thing; take very dark sunglasses. Vail town/village is one of the most unattractive places on the planet to look at.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 28-03-06 14:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, I found Game Creek got a bit choppy later in the day (and was quite busy), but that was late March, and the weather was either glorious sunshine or even more glorious snow.
But I agree, head for the back bowls and Blue Sky Basin.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
richmond, I found Game Creek got a bit choppy later in the day (and was quite busy), but that was late March, and the weather was either glorious sunshine or even more glorious snow.
But I agree, head for the back bowls and Blue Sky Basin.

Yes it was choppy, but still fun, and good (ish) snow. The place was pretty quiet when we were there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh wow, I just found out from the reservation hotline that my lift ticket is a FIVE-mountain pass which will be good at Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, A-Basin, Vail, and one other (not sure?). My lodge is at the base of VAIL though, so how close are the other mountains to Vail?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The other one'll be Keystone, which really ain't much cop for regular skiing. Brill if you want to hit boxes and jumps. Unless there's pow, in which case head over the back side. Breck is big and quite good fun.

They're all easily driveable, just get a rental car that can deal with snow and you're stoked. In a line from Denver westwards it goes A Basin, Keystone, Breck, then Vail and Beaver Creek. Forty minutes from Vail to Keystone with clear roads, I'd say. Breck and Frisco have some nice restaurants if you get fed up with the snotty people in Vail. They have such a great mountain! Why are they always so miserable?!

There were plenty of gapers at Winter Park last weekend! But then it was spring break time. At least the Texans are friendly on the chairlifts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GreenFloyd, as tinkerbell says, all easily driveable. As I said before, if Vail is to soft, Keystone probably won't be any better, and A-basin may not be open. Keystone has a tube park, which is a good laugh for half an hour or an hour (Vail may have its own, I can't remember). Breckenridge is well worth a visit, probably a bit further than Keystone, maybe an hour tops.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with Cyclenaut, Winter Park and Brekenridge would be a better choice. Vail appears to be all about image; which is a bit funny when you consider the resort is right next to one of Americas most important highways. Once you are off the mountain it is like staying next (and I mean right next) to the M5!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Winterpark gets my vote, we tried breck and copper but prefered the quieter town at WP, the mountain is excellent too with lots of trails that meet up unlike copper where they seem to just be long boring ones.
snow conditions
If its your first time to the US I wouldnt bother with Vail . Its like a purpose built french resort sprawed along the the Main Instersate 70 Highway that runs right across the the US.

There are far better places. If its Colorado your aiming for I,d aim for one of the old mining towns with some atmosphere. Aspen,Brekenridge,Crested Butte,Telluride. Winter Park is excellent but dont expect nightlife.

As said above Vail is VERY EXPENSIVE thats not to say Aspen is not but your not stuck in some purpose built resort Sad
latest report
stanton, at a guess, given his location, I think he's been in the US a bit snowHead
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat,

Apologies for that oversight. I just got back from a marathon US transatlantic flight back to Amsterdam rolling eyes I need sleep, goodnight .
ski holidays
stanton, sleep well!
snow report
Cyclenaut, Lorraine, stanton, OK, I have to stick up for Vail a little here.
Yes, it lacks the truly scary "fall and you die" steeps of Whistler, Jackson, Squaw or Crested Butte. But during the 6 years I lived there I had some great times skiing powder, both in the trees (front side, Blue Sky) and in the open Back Bowls.
Yes, you'll pay 8 bucks for a burger on the mountain, but there are cheap fast-food places in W Vail and a Subway in Lionshead.
Yes, the outskirts are sprawling and ugly, but the pedestrianised centre of Vail Village has a bit of character - probably more than the modern Intrawest identikit villages like River Run, Copper or Squaw. It's a fun place to be for the Wednesday evening free outdoor concerts.

By the way, GreenFloyd, if you want to pick up girls (Spring Break after all), try Tap Room, Sanctuary, The Club, or 8150. Very Happy
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
Cyclenaut, Lorraine, stanton, OK, I have to stick up for Vail a little here.
Yes, it lacks the truly scary "fall and you die" steeps of Whistler, Jackson, Squaw or Crested Butte. But during the 6 years I lived there I had some great times skiing powder, both in the trees (front side, Blue Sky) and in the open Back Bowls.
Yes, you'll pay 8 bucks for a burger on the mountain, but there are cheap fast-food places in W Vail and a Subway in Lionshead.
Yes, the outskirts are sprawling and ugly, but the pedestrianised centre of Vail Village has a bit of character - probably more than the modern Intrawest identikit villages like River Run, Copper or Squaw. It's a fun place to be for the Wednesday evening free outdoor concerts.

By the way, GreenFloyd, if you want to pick up girls (Spring Break after all), try Tap Room, Sanctuary, The Club, or 8150. Very Happy

every resort in colorado has interesting terrain to suggest vail lacks anything is silly. it is a great place.

i did take my daughter to steamboat yesterday and paid $9.00 for a hot dog!
ski holidays
Rusty Guy,

We paid (ripped -off) $10 for two Hot Chocolates at the Cloud 9 Bistro in Aspen Highlands Sad
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, sorry not being rude about your neck of the woods because we loved our visit to Colorado, but why go to a 'disneyfied' verson of an Alpine village when we have the real thing here in Europe. Breckenridge and Winterpark are American ski resorts and are just right because of that, if we have come from Europe we want an authentic American experience not a sanitised version of Austria. Also who wants to spend a week living next to a major highway and even worse pay Vail prices for it? The noise of the heavy traffic is not exactly part of the mountain ambiance!

Cheap fastfoods were not my complaints, you want to try buying a hot chocolate in 1850!
latest report
Lorraine, but the American ski experience is to ski, not to look at the village.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Lorraine, but the American ski experience is to ski, not to look at the village.

Why was Vail built like that, then? It could have been built more cheaply and pleasantly with making it look from a distance vaguely like an Austrian village and from closer up like a cheap film set. I know that Tignes and Avoriaz have their detractors, but give me them over Vail any day of the week. I enjoyed the skiing and sitting on a deck by the river at the end of the day, drinking a glass of half decent glass of wine which hadn't cost me an arm and a leg.
snow report
richmond, what would you like Vail to look like?
snow conditions
Good question; most things would look better. I don't know what the vernacular architechture in the Colorado rockies is, but I bet it isn't plastic Tyrolean. Breckenridge looks OK (for the most part), although I appreciate that it had a pre-sking existence, which helps. Aspen also. Since Vail is a modern resort, it should have been built in a contemporary style with 'appropriate' material, which I suppose is local wood and stone.
latest report
Hi I am a European and skiied 10 days in Vail last year...and loved it!........The bowls are fantastic and the tree skiing area(blue sky basin?) has some great and steep go anywhere you like parts. For a US resort it is quite large and there was more than enough for 10 days. We never found it crowded(late feb) and although not cheap it was certainly cheaper to eat and drink than many French/Swiss resorts. If you stay in or near Vail village there are many places to eat/drink from the cheap to very fine dining and even a couple of ok nightclubs(well ok for a 38 year old bloke!).We stayed in the apollo park lodge condos...fairly old but clean/serviceable with a heated outdoor pool.However, they are in a great location...walk to the lifts and Vail village in 5 minutes and even better Cheap!! liked Vail so much...thinking of taking the wife(To Vail!!).

It is Good!
Rich
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PantherX50,

Have you been anywhere elase in the US to ski ?
ski holidays
Lorraine, i think the faux tyrolean bit at vail has been problematic for many folks for years. what you describe is the very reason i love winter park and other places that are as you describe less disneyfied.

as wtfh describes, i think the most important part of any ski trip is the terrain and snow. every resort offers different things based upon these two criteria. vail offers wonderful open bowl skiing on the back of the resort along with great terrain on the front side.
latest report
Rusty Guy, hear, hear. From my extensive (1 day) experience of Vail, I'd rate it as a top place, and I'd love to ski there again. I'd stay somewhere else, though.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
PantherX50,

For some strange reason in recent years I have been skiing more in the USA than Europe...Vail,Mammoth,Breckenridge,Keystone,Heavenly,Squaw,Stowe,Killington,Sugarbush...plus a few Canadian...For skiing I rate Mammoth as the best followed by Vail, but I prefer the fact that you can stay in a reasonable village in Vail and walk to the lift and bars/res
taurants and more bars!!

Cheers Rich
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
PantherX50,

For some strange reason in recent years I have been skiing more in the USA than Europe...Vail,Mammoth,Breckenridge,Keystone,Heavenly,Squaw,Stowe,Killington,Sugarbush...plus a few Canadian...For skiing I rate Mammoth as the best followed by Vail, but I prefer the fact that you can stay in a reasonable village in Vail and walk to the lift and bars/res
taurants and more bars!!

Cheers Rich
snow conditions
PantherX50,I'd recommend:
Winter Park
Alta/Snowbird
and Big Sky

If you are looking for new places to try.
latest report
PantherX50,
Quote:

but I prefer the fact that you can stay in a reasonable village in Vail and walk to the lift and bars/res

You should try Telluride or Aspen Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy