Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aviemore

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Todays report on Ski club

Last snowed: 14 Mar 2006
Powder alert: 20 cm of fresh snow
Lifts open: 2 out of 17
Snow Depths Weather
Conditions
Snowing at the top, rain in resort
Today: Snow
Temperature: -5°C
Tomorrow: Light snow

Av: 12-year average for week

Lower slopes: 80 cm
Upper slopes: 130 cm
Piste Information
On piste: Powder
Off piste: Powder
Resort runs: Powder

With thiese kind of conditions why only 2 lifts open?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wind? low client demand?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought I read elsewhere here, that they were having to dig out the other lifts because of the depth of the snow snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It relates to the accuracy -or lack of - of the skiclub reports when it comes to scotland.

For upto date info check out
http://ski.visitscotland.com/
or
http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/snowreports/index.php?resort=cg

Though yesterday they did have a little problem digging out a number of lifts - including the funicular. Have a look at the photos here: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/cairngorm/winter200506/mar06/14/index.html to see the problems. I wasn't there yesterday, but I think they had at least 6 or 7 lifts running yesterday. I think I saw the Car park tow, Sheiling tow, cas tow, M1 poma, funicular, ciste and ptarmigan tows shown as open on the cairngorm site at some stage during the day, but may be mistaken about the last two.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
'The good news today is that all runs are complete' snowHead

'The bad news ? So is the access road' Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

'The good news today is that all runs are complete'

'The bad news ? So is the access road'

But not a problem today, its all open and lifts will open with demand - they show 7 open or opening on the website including the WWpoma which will give access to all the terrain (accesible with the present core lifts stratagy).

Note of the 17 lifts 5 can't/won't open
Link lift is lying in pieces in the Ptarmigan bowl waiting to be erected in its new location. Aonach poma and Faicaill tow have no cable, motor, wheels etc and basically are now just the towers. West wall chair has no controls and no top cabin - burnt down in fire (but CML aren'tt planning on using it again, Ciste Chair is in fine working order (afaik) but only has a few carriers on it and CML don't plan to use it other than for staff access to the WW poma.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thats good,
what is the long term (next week) chance of similar conditions
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are only 2 lifts open because, unlike other countries where it snows, this stupid bloody country can't seem to cope - it really annoys me!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Renry, looking good snowHead Brief milder (but still cool) spell on Saturday followed by probably Northerlies all next week. Should be further top ups of fresh snow on an already excellent base snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

There are only 2 lifts open because, unlike other countries where it snows, this stupid bloody country can't seem to cope - it really annoys me!

That might be true down in the south, but for once there has been some pretty good and fast road clearing in dificult conditions here. Was skiing at the Clash last night (Tuesday) and the road (single track A road was ploughed out and the council or forestry commission had ploughed out the carpark opposite the forest entrance for skiers to park. Pretty good going as the roads were v dificult/closed on Sunday due to snow all day on gale force southerly winds which were causing massive drifting.

jb1970, as I stated there weren't just two lifts open - that was just the usual SCGB rubbish report for Scotland . They are not set up for reporting on Scottish conditions this is not the alps. How can you report snow depth for example. Looking at the photos I linked to the elephant fence on the Lady has just about disappeared which means the snow on the Lady is at least 8ft deep. The gunbarrel is flat so there will be over 2-3m of snow at least on this run and this almost certainly means the Ciste Gulley will have several mtrs of snow in it. Yet I'm sure there will be a number areas of some runs exposed to the strong SE gales where the cover will have been stripped to ice or rock - hopefully repaired by pisting now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Todays pix from Cairngorm show it looking as good as I've ever seen it - got a couple of days off next week - is it worth flying back???
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

is it worth flying back???

easiski, Worth it just to confuse your locals Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best place to look is here -

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/list.php?2

Had 2 weekends already , would love to have gone up again this weekend but off to Austria. Still its looking good for some spring skiing when I return.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Best runs at top" ?!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
so how was it at the weekend for those who went
snow report
 brian
brian
Renry, looks brillant in these pix:

http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=233

Big thaw since then but the main runs at Cairngorm have survived and it looks set to be cool and then cold for this week and into next.
latest report
This weekend just gone, Sunday was great. Sun was out most of the day and most runs were open. Fair bit of snow has been lost with the mild weather, but on Sunday all the main runs were full width between the fences. The offpiste was "varied". Where pisted the spring snow was nice to ski on though a bit slow and sticky in places. By the afternoon some of the lower runs were getting decidedly wet and slushy but from mid station up conditions were pretty good. Spent the whole day telemarking and the conditions meant it was relatively easy for me to tele down most runs. Was skiing with a friend and his six year old so only got to do the Ciste Gulley once. He had no problems with the gulley, but he couldn't do the traverse out. He kept burying one of his skis in the soft snow and falling over - may be time we bought him some new longer skis. Gulley 1 and 2 also looked nice, but didn't get to do them, coronation wall and the cas head wall also looked skiable.
snow conditions
PS it was very quiet - no queues and the Cas car park only just filled up - no need to use the Ciste or lower Cas carparks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy