Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extremely Canadian

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Just finished my second day of Extremely Canadian - yikes!!!

We started the first day by sliding into a lovely deep chute - exactly 1 ski width wide and with a 3' vertical entrance; oh, and cliff markers right in front of us!

That was The Cirque I think. Very scary but a controlled entrance.

Later down that run I managed to lose both skis and slide feet first for about 50'. I caught one ski as it slid past but the other just kept on going - right over a cliff!!! So I learned how to traverse on one ski halfway up thi's nice black.

We followed it with a trip down Whistler bowl and then moved over to Harmony to drop into Low Roll over a cornice. That was followed by some tree skiing and then back up to McConkeys.

The second day included a top to bottom jump and tree filled 'race' down Ridge Runner to 'warm up'. Then we went up and tackled a few trees and finally did 'Spankys Ladder' and then Diamond Bowl - wow that was scary!!

The afternoon was up Jersey Cream and then down it's face and through the trees between the mogul runs at Staircase etc.

Fantastic instruction and carefully judged runs meant we had a fantastic time.

Thoroughly recommended if you want to get seriously scared!!

OK - off to the hot tub now - more later Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice!

I especially hate the narrow chute entrace into Diamond itself, with a cliff to the side!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Veeeight, diamond by a chute entrace? since when?

sure you don't mean sapphire bowl?

lbt, Make sure you take in Purple Haze and Excitation/Exhileration before you finish. Gve me a yell if you want to meet up sometime this week, especially if you want some secret runs not in the book (although some are out of bounds).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lbt, Aaaah, I wondered where you'd got to.

Sounds like a good trip.

Watch those gums Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did Sapphire on the last day, jeez that was a scary entrance - even walking up the ladder was scary enough! Staircase was also quite eventful!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Veeeight, diamond by a chute entrace? since when?

sure you don't mean sapphire bowl?

You go as if you're going into the lower Sapphire entrance, keep going past it, and the chute into Diamond is skiers left. It's not for the fainthearted.

Excitation is particularly high consequence if you f**k it up - that massive Rock Pillar in the way to crash into!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, Yep - that sounds right. I have to admit to sideslipping it until the last moment as I didn't have the confidence not to carve a little when I turned. (I was on Atomic Metron's). Sure enough the first turn traversed more than I wanted so it was a good call.

Later that day I got myself far more upright and, together with some steep trees, that corrected the carving problem a fair amount (carving a turn in trees is a bad idea!)

nbt, the ladder - aaargh!!! - we were the *first* people to boot-hack(?) up it. And that was the first time I'd ever done that (kicking the sh*t out of ice to get a toehold whilst standing on a 1" ice ledge 1000' above some rocks - yeah - right - that's sensible!)
The guy behind me was incredibly kind (and probably fairly nervous) and helped me get my skis on my shoulder and toes into the cliff.

paulhothersall, sent you a PM - would love to meet up thu/fri.

marc gledhill, Hi - this is Martin's fault - he said EC was fun - he was right!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight wrote:

Excitation is particularly high consequence if you f**k it up - that massive Rock Pillar in the way to crash into!!

exactly what i was thinking dropping in off the virgin cornice the other week, and whislt in the air thinking " $^% I'm not wearing a helmet.................... "
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lbt, good for you - glad to hear you're having fun and experiencing some exciting terrain. For "fall and you die" skiing for experts, Whistler is top in N America - followed closely by Jackson and Squaw. I have only been over Spanky's once, but I remember seeing some seriously scary stuff back there. I'm sure you have tackled Couloir Extreme this week as well?
But I still don't understand why so many intermediates go to Whistler. If all you want to do is cruise on groomed blues, why not do it in Colorado in the sun instead of Whistler in the rain? Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are great instructors in Whistler Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, I agree totally. I would particularly recommend Terry "Toulouse" Spence, who worked with the Canadian Ski Team in the 1980s and was one of the real characters of the WC circuit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Toulouse was coaching on the Dave Murray camp I did, one of our group was finding it difficult to keep up and dropped down to Toulouse's group - my group was taken by Lia, the argentinian freeksiier (don;t know her surname and can't find it), but when she fell ill, she was replaced by Brett Eyben, teaching his first camp. I must get round to writing up a review...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin - I like my two.... but then they know me so that helps a bit...... (skied with one for 5 Oz seasons so far plus a few whistler days)

So I'll skip the recommendation...

thanks anyway....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
are you mad?!!!!! Puzzled Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lorraine wrote:
are you mad?!!!!! Puzzled Shocked Shocked

Yes, I've run out of money and i can't go skiing again until next year, I'm bleedin' furious!

NehNeh
snow conditions
nbt, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Hi Martin, On the last day I did go to the top of C.E. (actually 'False Face' - which I still pronounce that as "Falth Faith") with paulhothersall and we decided that since visibility was down to about 10' and it was probably pretty bumpy (and the entrance scared me!!) that I'd back away.

It was a good call as my skiing that morning was totally pants and I'm sure I would have wiped out.

The afternoon picked up hugely and after 2 'warm up' runs down Whistler Cornice I was somehow persuaded to do "West Cirque" (via the Rocky Road path where I nearly killed Paul in the process - no, not joking <gulp>).
If I recall correctly Paul's guide/friend said that it's the steepest named run at WB - of course at that point it was too late to back out (though I did slide in a few feet lower than them and avoided the nightmare start)
Still, I actually managed to almost do things that looked like linked turns Shocked

It's funny how things come together - that fortnight saw my carving and angulation pick up at and after the Dave Murray camp (but it was really strange how much seemed to come from previous experiences - I barely had any angulation at the ESA!) Though having the Atomic Metron B5s and not the B3s really helped. Then my first 'warm up' run with EC made full use of it all and was the fastest I've been on skis! The EC also began to cure my 'waist bending' problem and Martin's "feet/knees closer" started to happen too - especially in the trees. In general a great year for pulling it all together Smile I still can't believe that I'm skiing(?) stuff like this after about 7 weeks on skis.

Oh, since the earlier post I found out that that day, for some reason, we bootpacked up the steepest part of Spanky's, not the usual "gentle stroll" that I saw people doing later. <shrug> Live and learn.

I must admit that I now find groomed runs far less interesing in themselves - very good for practice or speed but I'd rather go a little (lot!) slower and play in the trees or on some more varied terrain Smile

OK - in to the dentists again tomorrow (and I found out today that the insurance is only paying £500 of the £2000 bill - sigh!)

(paulhothersall, Thanks for a great time on friday - shame about the evening but Denise was pretty fed up - anyhow it turns out that she probably hasn't done her ACL - it's probably cartlidge (sp?). Hospital on thursday for further diagnosis. Finger's crossed!)
ski holidays
lbt, you're a star. I think you might be moving up a group or two if you do next year's ESA.
Really sorry to hear about the dental bills - health insurance companies are all just a bunch of tight-fisted b*st*ards.
snow report
lbt wrote:

The afternoon picked up hugely and after 2 'warm up' runs down Whistler Cornice I was somehow persuaded to do "West Cirque" (via the Rocky Road path where I nearly killed Paul in the process - no, not joking <gulp>).
If I recall correctly Paul's guide/friend said that it's the steepest named run at WB - of course at that point it was too late to back out (though I did slide in a few feet lower than them and avoided the nightmare start)
Still, I actually managed to almost do things that looked like linked turns Shocked

He really isn't kidding, I had less than 1" left of "path" left under my inside edge of my outside ski (the outside edge was over into space abovea a 90' cliff) For all other snowheads, the route we took into west cirque was not as described in the off piste guide book, but traversing around the back of the permentantly out of bounds area to get to the highest possible entrance in fresh powder.

lbt wrote:

It's funny how things come together - that fortnight saw my carving and angulation pick up at and after the Dave Murray camp ............. I still can't believe that I'm skiing(?) stuff like this after about 7 weeks on skis.

no kidding, I was pretty impressed. some (low res) photos here. I will PM you a link to all the stuff i have.

Off Whistler Peak

Tube park

Morning in secret bowl

either off fraggle rock, or slightly out of bounds by 7th Heaven (can't remember)

lbt wrote:

(paulhothersall, Thanks for a great time on friday - shame about the evening but Denise was pretty fed up - anyhow it turns out that she probably hasn't done her ACL - it's probably cartlidge (sp?). Hospital on thursday for further diagnosis. Finger's crossed!)

No probs. I got very merry on the "green" ale and really struggled to get up the hill on Saturday!

Hope your both sorted soon
snow report
Forecast for the rest of this week:

Tonight (Tues) <15cm
Weds <20cm
Thurs <30cm
Fri <20cm

Woo Hoo!!

Fortunately work is quiet at the moment so I'm skiing for myself a lot!

Very Happy
snow conditions
veeeight, looking promising isn't it!
snow conditions
veeeight, paulhothersall, hmmmmm still feeling quite warm in the village and looking out the window right now it looks damp not snowy. Let's hope it gets a bit colder overnight!
snow report
geetee, get yourself inland a bit! Smile
snow report
geetee, It's really cold here - now if only the mountains were a little bigger than 5 metres! rolling eyes

lbt, Did you go off the cornice on right at top of west cirque - that's a serious entrance Shocked - I was freeskiing with a couple of the Dave Murray coaches a few weeks back and even they declined that one!! (last (but best) day of the season for me! Crying or Very sad Oh, except for a super sweet fresh line off Flute the following day snowHead ) Did you manage to avoid the rocks on the way round? - they got me! I agree that West Cirque is probably one of the hardest official on the map marked run, way harder (but better) than the couloir extreme.
Extremely Canadian and Dave Murray are a great combination for getting better quickly, that's pretty much what I've been doing every week for the last couple of seasons (I'm a slowl earner!) I like the balance between the (usually) more technical Dave Murray and Tactical/Free/Steeps of Extremely Canadian, the coaches on both are outstanding.
snow report
geetee,

Don't worry about what it's doing at village level, it's in the Alpine where the skiing action takes place!

Very Happy
ski holidays
great to hear so much good stuff happening in Whistler at the moment, off their with the family on April 1st (seriously). Remember this time last year i was contemplating taking golf clubs rather than skis but turned out to be fantastic. Looks like its been best year on record. Very Happy
ski holidays
thedeepstuff, first up welcome to snowheads

next, you'll enjoy it, there's a great base and if more falls you;re in for a top time.
I;m not jealous, honest
snow report
To make you even greener its a two week trip, all lessons booked to get rid of the kids (eldest doing Ski instructors level 1) so will book some lessons myself to improve the technique and reserve my table for a few "giant slaloms" and hot wings in Merlins. NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I must admit to a two week stay in whistler myself this season alrady - but that doesn;t stop me being jealous Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
ski holidays
thedeepstuff,

Self advert here: Go for the Supergroups lessons on Blackcomb Razz
ski holidays
Okanagan, guess where we're going to on Friday!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
stuarth, sorry Sad but just start planning next year
veeeight, yes it was rather nice up in the alpine today! Very Happy
snow report
veeeight,

Skiesprit $279 for four days supergroup $249 for one day? With a family of five its easy to see why we made that decision. Very Happy However, in my own little skiing fund there may be something left over for a one day supergroup if I hold back on the wings, nachos etc. wink
latest report
veeeight,

Sorry my mistake supergroup is $210 Blush Using womens logic that means I have $39 to spend on the wings. Toofy Grin
snow report
Lol! I'm sure you'll all enjoy whichever you decide to do!

As for yesterdays skiing - I was up on the Glacier Chair the moment it opened, and over Spankys Ladder.

The snow was thigh deep in Diamond bowl, I had completely untracked snow all the way down.

It was so deep that I was struggling at times!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy