Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A large family/group holiday - Our experience (long post)

Poster: A snowHead
Our La Rosiere Holiday – The Unofficial Stuff

I posted a resort review with all the technical stuff in my official trip report but thought I would share with you lucky folks some extra stuff that may come in handy for those planning a large group or family holiday.

18 of us travelled from North Yorkshire, Teesside, and Cornwall to form a party of 18. There were 9 kids aged 8-11 (one with Cerebral Palsy), 4 couples and one single adult (uncle of child with the disability, and a terrific skier). We picked La Rosiere because 8 of us had been last Easter and thought it an excellent and very quiet resort, perfect for families in the crush of half term. As we knew which resort we wanted we then looked for a chalet for 18 that had lots of quad rooms and therefore big savings. We found a chalet, Quatre Saison with Ski Olympic that fitted the bill perfectly, and came in at £495 per person.

There were no Manchester flights left so we decided on Stansted, a 4 hr drive for us and 5 hrs for the Cornish Pasties. We booked in May to get the property we wanted and an extra early booking discount. Six weeks later we discovered they were now offering flights from Doncaster (90 minutes). We pre booked an instructor for the kids, and again this was based on past experience. 8 Months in advance saw us get a great deal on 8 kids with the instructor and time of our choice, David @ Evolution2 cost us €100 per child for 6 x 2.5 hr lessons from 09.00 – 11.30. We left the ski hire until 3 weeks in advance, which on reflection was too late for peak periods. Twinner Sport came up with the goods and the gear was excellent.

The chalet was first stop on the bus and so a seat was always available. It is NOT as good as skiing convenience but first stop on the bus makes a big difference, as there is no crush and a pick of the seats. The chalet had lots of safe space around it and the kids would play out for an hour at least when we got back. If you have a large mixed group then make sure you have a big lounge/diner as it makes the social hours much better. Ski Olympic were excellent. The 3 staff in our chalet were:
Dan- Chef
Jane – Ski Host
Wendy – Chalet Girl
They were all fabulous beyond the call of duty, with Dan’s chef skills being displayed with passion at every 3 course “banquet”. These 3 helped make our holiday so special. We all got on like a chalet on fire and the kids, although noisy and energetic, were a credit.

The skiing was superb and apart from 1 day the weather was cool but wonderfully sunny. We had great trips over to Italy, combing easy runs for those thatneeded it with off piste and some VERY hard blacks for those that didn’t. The food was excellent in both France and Italy but was better value in La Thuile (Italy). The snowpark took some serious hammer with the kids perfecting all types of tricks and jumps. Even the week 2 girls could do a 180 by the end of the week.

As normal we had our usual drama. All week the kids had been zipping off the piste, doing jumps, rounding trees, etc, then on the last day going down the Fontaine Froid red there was 4 muppets in a group of 6 kids, with an adult at the front and an adult minesweeping at the rear. Kids 3,4,5,& 6 see a path to the left that appears to loop round behind some trees, they shoot off. Parent at the back gets concerned when just around the corner the path does not re-join. To cut a long story short I come across the 2 adults and 2 kids looking very worried some 600 metres below the separation. They tell me the story and I now blast down to the bottom of the piste with a phone to see if somehow they have missed the adults and are waiting. They have now been lost for 25 minutes. With me is our very fit fell running friend, the plan is that he catches the lift up and skis down to follow their tracks. If he doesn’t come across them straight away we shall contact emergency services. I survey the scene at the lift and there is no sign of the kids, Our fit mate is already on the lift. I start to phone the uphill party with the bad news when I hear a faint shout “dad we’re here”. This voice comes from the middle of a very steep forest. I look up and see my eldest walking down the side of the valley side from behind the Vieux Chalet drink hut. They are carrying skis. I take my 2 aside for the mother of all bollockings and before I say a word they both burst into tears. Eventually the truth emerges. They thought the path just cut the corner off. By the time they realised that it didn’t, the path was too steep and the snow too deep to go back. They knew the piste and lift were below them and to the right so they just kept heading that way. The journey involved them walking as it was too dangerous to ski, it involved big falls over 3m drops, poles lost up trees, 3 of the 4 convinced they were going to die, 3 of the 4 having crying fits. Quite a desperate scene for four 8-11yr olds There was no need for the bollocking, they had scared themselves far more than I could have. A lesson had been learnt.
So what advice could I share if you are organising a group holiday with kids.

DO’s
Do study the requirements of your group and choose a suitable resort
Do consider carefully the property you are intersted in and its position. e.g. consider the time after skiing and if the property is suitable for them to play outside
Do consider the layout of the “social areas in the chalet. A large lounge/ diner is a great help.
Do treat the staff with courtesy and respect. (they are not servants)
Do what you can to make their life easier and ask if they want to join in games etc.
Do book with a reputable smaller operator or independent that is service driven
Do try at least one chalet holiday where you have the whole building. Don’t do this however if your friends are miserable moaning types.
Do be prepared to travel to an airport that isn’t local. If you have found the right property and company, then what is a couple of hours extra driving in the UK in return for the perfect week?
Do pre book equipment hire. Try and search for ski hire shops in resort that have their own website. Nearly all will offer an online discount. Ask for recommendations on SnowHeads.
Do try and pre book a recommended instructor. During February try and do this as far in advance as you can.
Do keep a family room tidy. There is not much room so why waste time in a morning searching for your gear.
Do take masking tape and a felt pen to the ski hire shop. Label all kids boots, helmets, skis and poles with their initials. It is hard work but will pay off a hundred fold.
Do research into games that you can all play in an evening
Do teach you kids the importance of manners at all times
Do get into the habit of swapping skis during breaks
Do try and set a bed time for the kids
Do give each child a card to keep safe with contact details
Do teach kids what to do with poles on a chair lift. A kid with poles still attached through the straps will always plant their pole between you skis when getting off a chair lift.
Do pack shorts for bumming around a hot chalet
Do make kids wear a helmet (even if you don’t)
Do take a rucksack with some spare gear for the kids in case they get cold or wet
Do have a positive mental approach to the holiday. “We will have fun”

DON’T’S
Don’t go to a busy Mega Resort (especially in busy weeks). We skied from 9 till 5 every day and only touched about 65% of this 150 km area
Don’t ever underestimate how quickly the kids will improve
Don’t ever underestimate by how much kids over rate their experience.
Don’t take too much gear. Once you have packed, unpack and throw half away.
Don’t ever meet up with PG and Bernard C, they will bring the devils weather with them.

PS We have had some great sking jolidays over the past 4 years using this format, but this was simply the Very Happy snowHead best Very Happy snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-03-06 9:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, a great account, and what a scary experience losing your kids like that. I think that was where our lot used to like playing in the trees.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, Seriously good account! Answers lot's of frequently asked question's. Well done!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, nice story, I skied with a large group with 8 Children last year and can relate to what you say the only thing I would add is Kids get 4 times more miserable than my ex wife when they get cold.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, cast yer mind back 40 years to the little angel that was Frosty the Snowball . . . Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Kudos for allowing the frosted flakes the chance to scare the poop out of you and the brains to work out what they needed to do . . . though you can buy a pair of 2-ways now for £20 which could take the edge off the situation.

When so many parents are too scared to let their kids play in the street and are too lazy to teach then common sense, this bunch took their time and worked out what they needed to do, good on them Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great responsibility have children with you. I only ever took one. You have my respect.

I have seen the comment that chalet staff are not your servants before. Actually they are. Or should be. That does not mean that staff should be treated rudely, or expected to do anything outside their remit. But the are expected to provide you a usually well described service - and in that sense they are your servants. Over the years, most staff I have met have cheerfully got on with their jobs and help make my holiday. But there have been some who have not felt they should have to stir themselves - I think a combination of the not-your-servant and poor pay comes into it.

These days, I prefer to stay at hotels, where the role of staff is clearly understood by all. But as I said, there have been some great chalet staff. Come to think of it, I think I am staying in a chalet hotel at this month. Hmm. If I make up my own bead each morning, will I find a Mars bar on the pillow each night when I return from skiing? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Russell wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, nice story, I skied with a large group with 8 Children last year and can relate to what you say the only thing I would add is Kids get 4 times more miserable than my ex wife when they get cold.
I forgot this one. My youngest gets very grumpy when too hot. This combined with a broken zip on his new jacket caused him to get very cold, so cold that he was adamant that he wanted to go back to the chalet (and he is tough). However a 45 minute lunch stop in a warm mountain restaurant, a re-organisation of his kit, and insistance that he put on extra gear we had in the rucksack ensured a very happy afternoon.

I have added a well packed rucksack to the list of DO's

Nick Zotov, I agree that hotels and chalet staff are different. Agin it all comes down to personal preferences. Years ago we had some rubbish staff on a last minute Neilson holiday in Tignes. It wasnt that imortant as we just didnt involve them.
If there is a Mars bar in it then I am more than willing to make your bed at the eosb. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, You put it in a way that makes us all wish we were part of your group, geat account snowHead .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing I forgot: Our best mates were driving to Stansted behind us and rang at Ferrybridge on the A1 to say they had forgotten ALL their ski jackets and were turning round Laughing

Ray Zorro, From the moment we set off until the moment the knock came to get up on return day it was the most fun that a group of folks could have for a week. (return transfer day is NEVER fun). I have to pay credit to the all kids who although mad as fish, were superbly behaved and polite throughout.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, at least they had their helmets on Laughing

Seriously, excellent report again. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
great report, would give parents with no experience a superb feel for how to do it, and what to expect. We have stayed twice in LR with Ski Olympic, some years ago, in a chalet just up hill from Les Quatres Saisons. Not sure they still have it (it was hyper cheap). We had super chalet staff both times and a generally excellent experience going both times by coach. A long night, with kids, but they drop you and all your luggage at the chalet at breakfast time on Saturday, and pick you up ditto at the end. No transfers, no airports, no luggage handling, and saved £250 for a family five which was an important consideration. My kids have given me some scary moments of that kind, over the years, but they always say they never told us about the worst bits, when they were able to go off on their own, as teenagers! They always managed to make the "be home by 5pm or we call out the emergency services and you never go ski-ing again" deadline. In those days there were no mobiles, no talkie-walkies, ski lifts, hot chocolates or other wimpy stuff.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We have stayed twice in LR with Ski Olympic, some years ago, in a chalet just up hill from Les Quatres Saisons. Not sure they still have it (it was hyper cheap). We had super chalet staff both times

pam w, That Chalet is called Mamiray and 2 of our staff worked there last year.
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
That Chalet is called Mamiray

Good God, how to consign yourself to weeks of endless sniggering in one easy lesson Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
very informative post - thank you
kids seemed to behave very responsibly once they realised they were in trouble. I'd be as tempted as they were to follow an interesting track and I know I am not indestructible whereas they are only just starting to learn it. and well done for you for not bollocking them when it is very easy to do so out of sheer reief.
I'm just starting the road that you are on. We're goping to be a group of 8 adults and 7 kids next week in La Tania but the oldest is only 7, the majority just 4 or 5 so we have a few years to go before they are zooming aorund the slopes with us.
Critical point on sharing a chalet with like minded people They need to be easy goiing and have similar parenting views to you about bedtimes, behaviour etc. That way the nearest adult acts as parent for the children present and chalet is full of peace and harmony.
ski holidays
Quote:

That way the nearest adult acts as parent for the children present and chalet is full of peace and harmony.
Absolutley. We were all comfortable with any parent "telling off" any kid. Wheras some parents see it as a personal insult. I think we are lucky with the friends that we have. Embarassed
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I think I need a few more weeks' experience under my belt before I try anything that ambitious! It was bad enough worrying about "ma boy" at MK Xscape... Sad
snow report
They thought the path just cut the corner off. By the time they realised that it didn’t, the path was too steep and the snow too deep to go back. They knew the piste and lift were below them and to the right so they just kept heading that way. The journey involved them walking as it was too dangerous to ski, it involved big falls over 3m drops, poles lost up trees, 3 of the 4 convinced they were going to die,

In reality just as soon as they were lost they should have stayed put and waited to be found.
I know all was well in the end but they could have come a cropper in such difficult terrain.
latest report
Slowplough, I agree. We had not thought about telling them what to do in such a situation. We had told them the proceedure if they had became lost on piste, but not off piste. As the day progressed the tale became more horrifying as they remebered and recounted little snippets e.g The poles were lost when one went to peer over a ledge to see how far the drop was. The one at the back tripped and carried all 4 over the edge. Luckily the drop was about 3 metres onto soft snow. 3 out of the 4 landed head first.
They were shocked, like us, as to how things deteriorated in the blink of an eye. Tales like ths all add to the fun of the holiday.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I REALLY like it when the Frosty clan go skiing as there is always a story to tell. When are you off again???
snow report
Mouth, The eosb Laughing Laughing Laughing But without the wife and frostlets
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,

Great post. Some excellent advice Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, a good read with advice and lessons there for all of us esp with kids who I expect one day soon may do a similar thing!
snow report
Quote:

the EoSB But without the wife and frostlets

Has Val Thorens realised what is going on........................................................... wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Has it occured to you that maybe Mrs FTS and Frostlets may be paying out of their pocket money for dad to go? A small price to pay for a week of peace perhaps?! Razz Razz Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I know all was well in the end but they could have come a cropper in such difficult terrain.

yes, but it's so difficult to get the balance right. almost everything worth doing has some dangers, and it sounds as though those kids were in no worse danger than if they had been cycling to school (or doing 140kph down the A6 all night getting to the Alps in 8 hours as some posters have boasted of doing). They learnt the kind of lesson it's not possible to learn second-hand. An hour like that is worth a month of nagging! They could have come a cropper, but they didn't. They could die an early death from diabetes and heart disease if they spent their lives on a sofa watching the TV
ski holidays
Mouth,
Quote:

boredsurfin, Has it occured to you that maybe Mrs FTS and Frostlets may be paying out of their pocket money for dad to go? A small price to pay for a week of peace perhaps?!

Maybe the pocket money was only enough for the outward flight Twisted Evil
latest report

Nick Zotov,
If there is a Mars bar in it then I am more than willing to make your bed at the EoSB. Very Happy

Sounds like a Mick Jagger come on to Marianne Faithful - good luck Nick Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Great report, I only have SP to look after and that is enough - would love to get him teamed up with the Frostlets some time - while you and I have a meal and a beer or 3, does the Rascard have rooms snowHead
latest report
CP and Frosty
sitting in a tree
k.i.s.s.i.n. . . Shocked
latest report
g?

Bump for some great pre season advice tho! Thx
ski holidays
Lots of resurrected threads this evening, is it the Second Coming?
ski holidays
Hmmm maybe - I shall look for signs elsewhere - if not do you have the number for the Ghostbusters if they are still open for enquiries?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,

The important question here is-

Who's pasties were they (which bakery)?
Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy