Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax Iron Substitute.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone, can someone please suggest a cheap alternative to a wax iron (or let me know if a similar thread exists)?. Pennies must be saved for new jacket and EoSB Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sharkymark, i use a travel iron. Cheap and chearful and seems fine to me. Has a temp setting so i can find the lowest temp the wax melts at. I don't find the holes get clogged up but i wouldn't use to iron my shirts again Wink I'm new to the waxing game but i can't really see what spending £50+ on a "waxing" iron will do much better...........what about everyone else?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can buy non-steam electric irons on Amazon.

Proper wax irons are 100% better and easier to use though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marc,

What exactly is 100% better and easier about "proper" wax irons?

I have an old non steam iron, I heat it, drip wax onto base in an S pattern, then rub it in with iron.

I fail to see what can be easier and better Wink

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that. As long as I spend a little time getting the temperature right it should be fine, surely? Will go travel iron hunting in the next day or two...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gregh, it's like everything else. You can ski, cycle or whatever in your jeans, T-shirt and anorak on rented gear and enjoy yourself. Then one day you try the right kit and realise you were making it harder than you had to.

It's just smoother whilst ironing, the wax melts evenly without leaving gaps on the base that you have to rub a bit to cover, you can't feel the ski egdges grate on the base of the iron and the wax seems to stay in the base longer.

It's just, well, better. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmm, I'll have to borrow yours and try it then............especially if the last comment is true!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As Marc says It's just, well, better. Having started with an old electric iron, then a cheap wax iron and now a proper job there is no doubt that if you are reguarly waxing more than one pair they do a better quicker job. I believe the main reason being the waxing iron will keep its selected temperature within a few degrees while a basic iron will fluctuate much more.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ok, any recommended decent irons and at what cost???
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought a toko iron last year in a sale at S&R just over £50. I am glad I did, but don't know if I would have paid full price of over £70
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rowenta big flat based irons from currys/argos/comet etc for £15.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i would go for the full size flat iron, travel irons have a very thin sole plate and do not hold enough heat. the heat is absorbed into the base of the ski and they struggle to melt the wax until it has warmed up again, if you do not want to spend the money on an official wax iron then something like the rowenta in the previous post is the best thing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh, I'll lend you mine to try. It's the Toko wax iron and the one sat in my cellar at the moment is brand new and never used. My old one stopped working in February and Toko gave me this new one.

Having been forced down this Rowenta-Toko-Rowenta path has confirmed that Toko is better.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill wrote:
gregh, I'll lend you mine to try. It's the Toko wax iron and the one sat in my cellar at the moment is brand new and never used. My old one stopped working in February and Toko gave me this new one.

What happened to the old one? Mine stopped as well, out of the warranty period so I took it apart, couldn't find a fault and went back to using an old iron. I'm a bit p*ssed off with it so I'm not keen to replace it if it's so unreliable.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, mine was pretty new anyway, so I went back to Ellis Brigham. They sent it off to Toko and Toko credited the cost of a new one to EB so they could just give me another.

I was told, via the bloke at EB, that Toko thought an internal fuse had blown. But they still figured it cheaper to replace rather than repair Confused

But if they're correct you could try stripping it down to see.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, I thought an internal fuse had gone as well, I didn't find one though and they're a b*gger to get apart Very Happy
snow report
My travel iron takes ages as it is either full on or going cold. But take your time and they will do the job. Just takes 5 times as long.
ski holidays
I spotted a Rowenta one this afternoon but the bl*ody shop had shut once I'd returned from a fruitless travel-iron shopping expedition. Thanks for the suggestions, now I'll actually be able to slide properly wink
ski holidays
hmm, Tokyo don't sound that reliable then.....
snow conditions
I tried a travel iron for waxing but gave up on it for the same reasons as Scarpa stated. Later I found a proper iron at a car-boot sale. It has a good heater and enough mass in its sole to not go cold when placed on a ski.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy