Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plough parallel turns?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book a follow on course at Tamworth Snowdome, and I'm not sure whether I need to do the one where you learn 'plough' parellel turns or the one where you learn 'graceful' parallel turns? What's the difference? Are plough parallels skiing parallel and then only going to snowplough for the turns? Is this stem turns? Apologies, I'm quite new to this skiing thing, and as this course is my 17th birthday present, I'd like to make sure I do the right one. Incidently, if anyone's ever had tuition at the Snowdome, what's it like?

Also, does anyone know of any way of under 18s going on ski holidays abroad solo without adults? I'm nearly giving up on the idea of being able to go skiing next year Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi and welcome.

Ask them as to what level you should be, but generally snowplough is the start.
Your instructor will make it clear but you start by learning to snowplough straight & turns as this is a good way to control your speed then as you progress you will get more and more into parallel skiing until its the first choice.

As to your second question I don’t know.

Good luck and dont let the odd fall put you off. we all still do it. Skullie
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luckysmartie, welcome to snowHead

Don't know about that lot of jargon. A snowplough is a snowplough and if you use a bit of it to turn you may be progressing to a stem. You run the skis straight in the traverse across the hill and may stem to initiate the turn which is a step onto the outside ski and at a plough type angle.

It sounds like the time honoured way to get started to me and progress from snowplough via stems to parallels but maybe others will disagree
You sound like you have a grasp of the terms so ask THEM to explain the difference between the two
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
luckysmartie, welcome to the asylum, the Snowheads Collective seems to do a good job of chaperoning at the end-of and pre-season bashes, keep your ears open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luckysmartie, You should definitely contact crazy skier jules who's nearly 16 and a keen skier, struggling to get some snow time. How about summer skiing and camping (seriously). Can you borrow a lightweight tent? You can camp in the valley and go off skiing every day. Eurolines or train to nearest main station and then local buses ... you can definitely do it quite cheaply, adn could have some really good fun!

As mentioned by Masque, we have a couple of Snowheads bashes a year, which are resonably priced and you'd be more than welcome - at 17 you're allowed out on your own you know!!!

With regards which course, it would be difficult to advise youwithout more info, also depends on what they mean - a good chat with them sounds indicated. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Everyone's so friendly here Very Happy

Yeah, I think I'll just phone them and ask. I'm fairly sure stem turns are what I just naturally do (I'm not really the most techniqual skier, just try to get from the top to the bottom without falling over too often :S), and anyway, they probably teach both courses on the same day, so if I don't pick the right one, they'll probably just move me to the right one.

easiski, where are good places to go summer skiing (and that are also cheap). The only cheap package holidays (my mums idea of a 'safe' way for me to go skiing by myself) are to Bulgaria (which my mum is convinced that when I break something (as every single skier and snowboarder does everytime they go skiing, apparently) the hospitals will be full of rats and I'll die of infection).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luckysmartie, There aren't many packages from the UK in the summer, but you could always try Eurocamp or Canvas holidays - but they're DIY. I think Peak Retreats come here in summer - but don't book their package lessons! Otherwise there are snowboard camps - you could look at the LDA website for summer www.les2alpes.com and the lift company website www.2alpes.com - they'd probably let a skier go with. In addition you could tell your mum (it's the truth), that it's very safe skiing in summer as more of the skiers are much better and far less likely to collide with anyone. I can get you an all in price if you like - see what she says! Skiing is statistically much safer than playing football! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luckysmartie, you can get a cheapish deal at some of the smaller Italian resorts too, and Andorra isn;t too bad.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luckysmartie,

Plough parallel I would imagine is the transition phase from snowploughing to parallel skiing. So if you can do snowplough turns but not yet parallel turns, that is probably the class for you. If you're in doubt though, as easiski, said, have a chat with the snowdome and let them know exactly how much skiing you've done, and they should tell you which is the right class for you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
luckysmartie, i guess i should know better, however, i'll dive in and take a stab at an online ski lesson.

typically, and i want to stress from the outset, and this is a gross generality, skiers get into a snowplow (plough) because they are on terrain that is too steep. they become defensive and seek friction (snowPLOUGHING) as opposed to direction (turning).

imho, as soon as an instructor sees any hint of a wedge or snowplough the first question that should come to mind is the appropriateness of the pitch.

so........what's the answer? find terrain where speed/pitch are not a concern. next focus on becoming comfortable balancing on two slippery objects. seek to be centered both in terms of fore/aft balance and laterally. stand in much the same manner you would in any sport. a little bend in all your joints! remember..... a little bend.

i realize this may well open the proverbial can of worms, however, attempt to allow your weight to remain centered. in a left turn for instance, don't confuse what you feel in terms of forces building on the base of your right foot as the turn evolves with any need to actively transfer your mass onto that foot as a pre-cursor to turning. skis turn as a result of rotational movements/tipping the skis or a blend of the two.

no leaning, no twisting. equal weight on two feet and pressure may build on the outside/downhill foot as the turn evolves.

i can remove one ski, put all my mass on the remaining ski, and go perfectly straight. that should serve to demonstrate weight transfer has nothing to do with making a ski or skier turn!

ok, so much for debunking the need to transfer weight.

once "centered" on mild terrain, attempt to slowly and progressively turn both skis in the direction you want to go. don't twist/torque/squirm with the upper half of your body. focus on the feet and legs.

give it a go and let us know if an online lesson works! if not online see a full cert ski pro.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers people! Why have we already booked our summer holiday? A summer ski trip would be just the thing to keep me and my parents entertained, I could ski and they could go and do other summery things, (walking etc). Grrr.....! Les Deux Alps has my kind of slopes on their galcier too. I know what I'm doing next summer though Toofy Grin

Rusty Guy, thanks for the online lesson. People have tried to explain to me how to do parallel turns in the past, and I've never really got it, but now I think I realise why. *feels urge to go to Stoke tomorrow and practise*
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy