Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How To Ski Hard/Icy Pistes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

Just got back from a week in Passo Tonale. On the last day we were happily scooting around some reds and easy blacks until we hit a piste that had been used for a race the day before. Wow! For every metre of traverse I was slipping 5 metres down the slope. Talking to an instructor later, he told me that the piste had been specially "prepared" for the race. Whatever this preparation entailed, for me it was like skiing on solid ice.

Any tips on how mere mortals deal with these sort of conditions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clive. Hugely effective for skiing ice is to spread your legs really really wide. This automatically sinks your centre of gravity between the two skis. Do linked parallel turns down the slope, with the skis about a metre apart, maintaining a calm (non-rotating) upper body.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clive, make sure your skis have really good sharp edges, race prep on modern pistes often involves water being injected into the snow to make it much harder and thus faster for the racers, without good edges you will have real problems turning.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clive, without knowing your general ability, without any instructor training (me), here's my "lay" advice.

There are some who will disagree with me ( ;-0 ) but I'd put most or all of your weight on your "downhill" ski. Also, on hard pack, your "angulation" becomes more important - i.e. keeping your edges set hard and your weight well over your ski(s).

One exercise I was shown to help wth this is to (try and) maintain contact with the snow using your downhill pole. This keeps helps keep your stance "aggressive".

More basically - decently sharp edges on decent skis?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, skis about a metre apart? Shurely shome mishtake? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Clive, a couple of small tips:
Generally on icy pistes you will find that snow has been swept to the side of the piste. I always try to find a zipper line down the side where invariably the snow is more skiable than in the middle.
It's very rare for a piste to be completey ice. You almost always have icy patches interspersed with mounds of soft stuff. I usually try to head straight down the ice to the next soft patch, where I can slow down and prepare for the next dash.
Sharp edges are a must.
If you really do end up on blank ice then edge the downhill ski and as David Murdoch said try to get all of your weight onto that edge. Usually works. Sometimes doesn't Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did a week's ski school in Tignes in November in very icy conditions. We were told that the key to carving a good turn on ice was increased angulation, including dropping your knee in slightly to accentuate the angle that you get with your hips. We put this to the test by finding a section of blue glacier ice (which was diamond-hard Shocked) and repeatedly skiing on it until we could hold an edge. I was fortunate in that I had new skis with very good edges, so just about managed to acheive some grip, but other people with duller skis found this very difficult.

In summary, sharp edges and lots of bottle to be committed to acheiving high edge angles (and high speeds!).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Clive, try the sucker on a snowboard Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of the most useful things anyone has taught me is not to take too harder edge on such slopes. The danger is that you are a bit scared, and you end up putting so much effort into getting a hard edge, that you then end up 'railing it' across the piste on an edge at high speed.

I find it better to try and keep a constant steady speed up and allow the skies to slide on a moderate edge down the slope. You need good angulation (knee bending & leaning forwards) but you need to also ensure you are relaxed and your legs are soft. The reason you need to maintain a slightly softer edge, is that the slope often changes in the level of iciness, and one second your ski is sking on some thin snow on top of the slope, and the next it is on the harder stuff deeper down. I also find it easier when I maintain a constant and reasonable steady speed (rather than constantly making big braking turns) and take slightly fewer turns then you might otherwise be tempted too.

This article put's it across better then I probably can.
http://www.breakthroughonskis.com/Pages/_ski_instruction/intstruction30.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My pet hate is the bottle neck pistes back to resort at the end of the day, which if it hasn't snowed for a while tend to be hardpacked and icy, with lots of out of control people taking uncontrollable lines. When faced with this I will generally nip off the side of the piste and ski whatever I find there, which to me is generally preferable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
15 mph permanent side slip....loads of fun...!!! Don't fight it too hard Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Lawrie, The piste had been race prepared - therefore it's extremely unlikely there would be any loose snow as the snow will have been injected with water to harden it. This is done so that they don't get big ruts forming, thus keeping a more level playing field.

Clive, Ibet you have more respect when you watch ski racing on TV now . Laughing Laughing

David Murdoch, & rob@rar.org.uk, advice is good. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We ended up on the Downhill course at Lake Louise not long after a race, scary!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, cheers!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
We ended up on the Downhill course at Lake Louise not long after a race, scary!!!

I did too and loved it. I do like a good hard piste once in a while Smile
ski holidays
stay off-piste and avoid it!
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
David Goldsmith, skis about a metre apart? Shurely shome mishtake? wink

The possible spread will be a factor of leg length - maybe 'double hip width' would be a better tag. The wider the skis go the more the lower ski will be edged and the more the centre of gravity is sunk and stabilised between the skis.
snow conditions
on ice another way- to ski at a moderate speed is to use less edge - side slip from turn to turn standing tall- body facing downhill- less slippy this way and less likely to fall over- many ways to skin a cat....
snow conditions
how to ski hard and icy pistes? There won't be any for ages after all this lovely snow and cold temperatures!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:

I took a wrong turn at whistler and ended up on the race course the day after the canadian championships had been run........ Shocked have to ski it to bottom now!

I was doing my standard emergency turns in that situation..... medium radius, SOFT feet,,, patient initiation.... KEEP MOVING DAMN IT turns..... if the ski slides try to start another turn.... etc....

Felt bad... and then some crazy fool accuses me of carving.... umm I think not... just trying to hold an edge.... very medium radius turns and very controlled and patient worked best for me....

TRY to keep the skis always turning and the edge angles always increasing or decreasing.... a "still" ski wants to slide(my canadian instructors words of wisdom.... he grew up at whistler skiing glacier in summer)... do not hammer the edge on....
snow conditions
Wide stance always seems to help.

Once overheard an instructor say that edges of piste are likely to be easier to turn on and if you can't turn there make sure you head for some bushy trees!
latest report
I was at Verbier last year, on the far western side, past Nendaz etc. There was one red run that had on a large expanse of ice on a fairly steep section. Now this was only my third week of skiing and I only ski for one week a year at the moment so I hire skis. I was on a Volkl P60 which was way too much ski for me and I really shouldn't have let the hire shop give them to me. Anyway, the edges weren't sharp enough, and it was as you are describing - turning so hard on the edges that you're almost lying on the slope and with alarmingly little bite from the skis. Anywho, I finish Uni this year so should be able to invest in some lessons next year, about time I think!
snow report
For what it's worth rolling eyes I find it's easier to control a sudden slide if your weight is more-or-less over the downhill ski which probably means max angulation and edge as described above. The main thing is not to panic when the ski lets go - just let it slide until you regain control. The alternative is falling which isn't a good idea, I've found Shocked
snow conditions
Best thing anyone said to me about ice was "You will slide, accept it". In other words, expect to move sideways as well as forwards, go with it and adjust your balance accordingly. Also bending the knees at the end of the turn (I guess that's the softness). Those two things between them, and suddenly ice doesn't hold anywhere near the terrors it used to which then starts a virtuous circle
snow report
Oh & I forgot..... EXTEND.... seems dumb but you cannot sink unless you extend..... extending allows you to more easily be in constant motion versus static (I seem to have no trouble with the sink idea but extending is an issue I need to focus on to achieve)
ski holidays
little tiger, well said. In all the endless carving discussions the emphasis on extension seems to have been lost. If your in tricky conditions, extending fully is essential to releasing the edges cleanly.

I'm not a big fan of loading the downhill ski at the first sign of ice, IMHO this can often result in very heavy painfull falls. If you're confident on ice and have good technique and stance there's no problem but people who aren't confident and lack good technique tend not to be well centred and ski with skis too close together will end up in a position where if they lose that one ski they're over, a friend got a pinned shoulder broken arm from exactly this . Better advice is to keep a stable wide stance and pivot the turn with flatter skis and bring the edges in gradually and later in the turn. Its no crime to skid.
latest report
rich, If it's a WC piste (which is what we were talking about to start with) it'll be steep as well as icy - start to skid and you'll never stop till the flat! You can go with the slide - that's not the same as skidding a flat ski. Of course you will slide, that's fine. On normal pistes there will be a bit of snow or softer stuff further on, so get over to that and then control. However we were talking about bullet proof, water injected stuff - not the same thing at all. I'm sorry I really disagree with the idea that you should pivot a flat ski to skid on purpose on ice.
ski holidays
easiski, I didn't mention a WC piste, is Passo Tonale a WC venue? Not that it actually makes any differenceI've been on a few of the WC pistes and for the most part they are not particularly steep, yes I know there are some notable exceptions. We are also not talking about pointing straight down them in race style.
Your statemnt that if you start to skid you'll never stop is frankly nonsense.

I stand by what I said, if you tell an inexperienced person to load the downhill ski they tend to lock into an edge as soon as possible and either accelerate uncontrolled around the turn or the edge breaks away. Better get them to skid in a controlled way than go to the bottom on their a*ses.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rich, I think the important word you used there is "lock". I'm just as guilty, the moment I hit ice every muscle goes into spasm and the result is the same for everyone . . . juddering loss of control.

On a board it's usually terminal until you can master the technique of relaxing and sinking every muscle above the ankles yet keeping toe or heel pressure/control into the contact edge. I once watched a boarder carve a wind cleared Grand-Motte glacier run from the cable car down to the funicular without one side-slip. It was fluid . . . actually it was exquisite and completely p*ssed off the skiers that were watching Toofy Grin

When I got the chance to buy him a drink he explained that on ice everything happens below the knees and your body is just there to absorb the inertial forces and keep the edge pressure constant . . . sounds great and I'm still trying to translate that into practice. I don't know quite how this applies to skis but having watched far too much of the olympics, the slow-mo shows us just how stable a platform our upper bodies and just how absorbing our legs need to be to slide well on ice.
snow report
rich, Well I don't agree - I never said anything about lock and you said "pivot a flat ski" which is not at all the same thing as a controlled skid. If you pivot a flat ski and your ski is flat it will slide until you edge it - ludicrous - sorry - come and tell that to the people who die on our Combe Valentin when it's icy. However, of course you know best. Shocked
ski holidays
Masque, not being a boarder I don't know whether this applies or not...but it does to me on skis. Many years ago whne repping on old skinny skis I was asked how I kept such a hard edge in on ice. Naturally I lied having no idea what they were talking about. BUt thinking about it I did come to a half baked conclusion that the appearance of control is often all you need, perception being reality. How do you ski hard ice? Spoof it! Keep a good stance and turn as though you weren't on ice. I believe it's known as "skarving" to these twin tipped youngsters.

rich, the thread did actually start off talking about a race course, albeit not WC. Unless you really know your onions, if you do start to slide on a race prepped course and it's steep, you will slide until you reach something softer or... ...harder.

First time I've ever seen easiski's comments described as nonsense! Not setting her up on a pedestal or anything, but I think she'd know a shallot from a Spanish pink.
latest report
rich, just an observation that easiski is an experienced instructor living on a mountain with top paper qualifications and top personal recommendations, so to help me weigh your often strongly worded opinions against hers I'd be interested in your credentials...
snow report
rich,

If you think easiski's comments are "nonsense" then you have obviously never skied on a truly icy piste!
ski holidays
beanie1,I think I can say in all honesty that in 20 odd years I've pretty much skied every variation a pisted run can offer rolling eyes any other patronising comments to add Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
rich, so to help me weigh your often strongly worded opinions against hers

Often?.... check the thread, there's only two posts from me andonly one of those was a response to Easiski, who made a statement I disagreed with which it appears is a hangable offence as far as some individuals are concerned.
snow report
Rich,

Ditto - in 20 years I reckon I've skied pretty much every variation too.

I didn't mean to sound patronising, and perhaps I should have phrased it differently. What I meant to say is there is a vast difference between an icy piste on which it is possible to make controlled skidded turns, and one that it so rock solid that 90% of people attempting to get down skid, fall, and proceed to slide to the bottom.

I experienced one such piste at New Year in France - I watched every single kid from the local Ski Club attempt to turn and then fall, and I suspect they were on the whole competent skiers.
snow report
rich, I'm saying nothing-others have said it for me. Shock
snow conditions
rich, sorry, miscommunication on my part, 'often strongly worded' refers to other posts you've made in other threads and is indeed out of context here Cool
snow report
slikedges, you obviously follow my posts with keen interest. Can't for the life of me work out which other posts you're talking about though I always thought of myself as Mr nice Puzzled
snow conditions
ah, this thread is deteriorating into high-frequency-text-based-communication badland. Cue sphagetti western theme tune.

rich, I'm sure you are Mr Nice.

Idea! Come along to the PSB (or one of the mythical EOSBs) and you can carry on the discussion in person, on snow and with demonstrations. All of which must be good things!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy