Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy reds in the 3 Valleys

Poster: A snowHead
I am an intermediate wanting to progress from cruising blues onto some easy reds. Can anyone recommend their favourites in the Three (or actually four now) Valleys leading from/to Meribel. Merci!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MeriVal, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

From Meribel, you could take the Tougnette gondola and then the Jerusalem run towards St Martin - it can be a little bit mogulled at the top, but apart from that it's very easy and usually fairly quiet. Alternatively, take the gondola up to Saulire and the wide Creux run down towards Courchevel; if you go straight ahead when coming out of the gondola there's a road which takes you to the top of Creux avoiding the trickier steep section (to the right as you exit the gondola) which is the more direct route. When you get to the bottom you could take the Aiguille du Fruit chair and the Park City run down into 1850 - there's only a couple of steep sections and they're not difficult. If you're over in VT, the Tete Ronde run from the top of Peclet is pretty easy and is one of my favourites. The red down from the top of the Grand Fond funitel into the fourth valley is also pretty easy - but there is a steepish section towards the end which can be tricky - to avoid this, take the blue to the right at this point as it goes to the same place. A word of warning, however - the routes back from the fourth valley are all red (unless you fancy a long walk) and they can be quite hairy towards the end of the day once they've got bumpy.

In good conditions, any of these should be fun confidence builders.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As usual, everything Alastair says above is spot on (IMO) but I'd also add that "the Creux" he mentions, from the top of the Saulire (the peak between Meribel and Courchevel) is one of the nicest runs to do as the first one of the day.
Jerusalem OTOH is absolutely beautiful in the afternoon.

Welcome to snowHeads MeriVal snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Park City off the Aiguille de Fruit down to CVL 1850 is pretty easy, and Roc Merlot off the Chanrossa chair down into 1650 is nice as well.

In fact, most of CVL's red runs would probably suit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I'm printing it off right now to stick in my pocket whilst I go skiing within the hour...... after a huge dump of the white stuff - yippee Laughing . You've made a big help already so keep it coming and merci encore.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just got back from ten days in the three V. One and a half days of sun in all that time, but still had a blast. The Creux is probably my best run in the world, but you should get on it early and make sure it has been groomed overnight. It gets VERY busy and cut up when there has been a lot of snow - and there has beeen a LOT of snow.

Also, to amyone who knows - exactly where was the avalanche under the Suisse chairlift that killed an American skier in January? I understand that it avalanched again this week almost claiming another victim. We saw debris from two major slips, one hear the bottom of the chair, quite far to the left of the lift (looking up), and another right next to the piste on the left hand side near the top. Just wondering for future avoidance...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for the Creux. Did it on the morning of the fourth day of my first skiing trip (made easier by the fact I was following an instructor and he stopped regularly to let all the class catch up). Stunning views and great fun to ski - definitely my favourite run so far in my very limited skiing experience.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Isn't an easy red a blue?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stuarth, Easy red. It is as wide as a footy pitch.
snow report
 brian
brian
Good suggestions so far, I'd add:

Either of the runs off Mont Vallon, although the very top bit can be mogulled and tricky so get up early while it's still pisted.

Right at the far edge of the area above 1650, Chapelets, really nice red that used to be served by a long drag, new chair there now I think.

Blaireau from the Tougnette above Meribel. Not that long but it's a really nice rolling piste and usually pretty quiet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mention of Chapelets reminds me of the confusion I experienced when skiing the Creux. On the piste map these 2 runs look a similar length. However whereas Chapelets only took a very small part of my 3rd afternoon, the Creux took up a large part of the following morning, despite the fact I was going faster down the Creux than I did on the horribly icey Chapelets which I survived by side slipping in very inelegant fashion.

Was I missing something when looking at the piste map ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin, I agree, the Creux was our first experience of a red. We were on our second week of skiing and our ski instructor (Willie the Scotsman) took us on this run first thing in the morning on our last day. Wonderful!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, The top bit of Combe de Vallon is seriously steep! Though a lot depends on conditions. I'll second Alastair's, views. snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, yeah on reflection I kind of thought it might be Embarassed My memory of steepness tends to be modified by my own reckless abandonment Very Happy Anyway, it's a red, how steep can it be wink

Good run though.
latest report
 brian
brian
truffaut, spend some time skiing in Scotland. You'll never think anything in the alps is icy again Laughing
latest report
truffaut wrote:
Mention of Chapelets reminds me of the confusion I experienced when skiing the Creux. On the piste map these 2 runs look a similar length. However whereas Chapelets only took a very small part of my 3rd afternoon, the Creux took up a large part of the following morning, despite the fact I was going faster down the Creux than I did on the horribly icey Chapelets which I survived by side slipping in very inelegant fashion.

Was I missing something when looking at the piste map ?
Creux dops just over 900 m vertically, wheras Chapelets drops about 450 m. The pitch of both seems to be avbout the same althouh Creux flattens out a bit towards the bottom. I would say if Creux took up a large part of your morning then You must have started VERY late Very Happy . A wonderful detour on Creux is to take the Chanrossa chair over to 1650 half way down and to ski back to the bottom of Creux via Roc Merlet, the blues by the drag, and then Combe de Roc Mugnier.
snow report
A few years later! Both Jerusalem and le Creux are now classified as blue runs.
snow conditions
To continue reviving this old thread; has anyone tried the Cime red from the top of Cime Caron in Val Thorens?

I’ve skied the Col de L’audzin down from there and for the most part it’s a lovely run, especially early in the day/ at non-peak times. Wide, flowing , steep enough to be exciting without being too intimidating. It does have a very narrow section near the top though which can become a real choke point and very chopped up which I’d quite like to avoid.
snow report
penny wrote:
A few years later! Both Jerusalem and le Creux are now classified as blue runs.

Jerusalem was modified to turn into a blue. You can still ski the original red by starting via Cherferie.

Besides, that age old advice applies. Ski the conditions not the colours, a blue on a boilerplate day will be much much more difficult than any red in hero snow conditions.

Concentrate on carving beautiful turns and feeling those wonderful sensations in your legs rather than ticking off colours!
latest report
Wise advice although not sure many people looking for easy reds are carving beautiful turns just yet…!
snow conditions
I really enjoy the reds/blues that run under and to the side of the Saulire Express 2 in Meribel, as others have said the Cruex over the other side is a great run and personally think Is close to being a red in places, especially when it’s busy.
snow report
Chalets and Bel Air in 1650. 2 fabulous runs
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy