Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted: Bland, easy, wide, bump-free Pistes!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know of a resort in Europe (or the USA for that matter) that has a reasonable amount of what most people would call “boring runs”, they have to be easy reds or preferably greens and blues, bump free, wide, long, well pisted and have little gradient. I know this is like asking for dry water, but that’s what the Mrs and her friend are looking for. We did hear that some of the resorts in the states fit this criteria but we are reluctant to believe the brochures anymore.

She loves skiing and doesn’t want to give up just yet, but when we get there, she freezes on anything less than her ideal piste. We can’t find a resort with enough of these perfect runs, so this restricts her to just 1 or 2 (often the nursery slopes). We’ve been down the “have more lessons” road, and that’s not the answer, her technique is fine, it’s just the fear of being over-faced with unexpected steepness and narrowness that she can’t handle. Her skiing buddy is the same, so this request is for both of them!!!

The nearest we got was Cervinia, but after 3 years we felt like a change!! So we are now allowing plenty of time to book for 2007!!! Helpppppppp!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andorra?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my experience La Plagne, Courchevel and La Rosiere all have lots of "motorway skiing".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlanUK, exactly why she probably does need lessons that take a different approach.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlanUK, you could try La Rosiere, it has a good mix of reds and blues, you can avoid all the black pistes quite easily and the link with the Italian resort of La Thuile give access to some of the best groomed pistes I'v ever seen. There are over 150kms of pistes in the Espace San Bernardo so I'd be suprised if you couldnt find what you're looking for, there is a review of La Rosiere in the resort section and if you go to our website www.tracksvacations.com you can see what our guests think about the resort and our chalet.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 11-03-06 11:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, had lessons from various instructors in Andora, Austria and Italy, all say the same thing, no problems with technique etc, and she skis confidently when on the right pistes!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax, I can't get the link to work David, I would like to have taken a look.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlanUK, Alpe D'Huez would be my suggestion. Not the prettiest place (by a long stretch!) but absolutely packed with wide, well groomed blues and reds running into the resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David@traxvax, you've left an i out of www.tracksvacations.com wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did the Mrs and her friend try a good pair of skis?

My sister was quite happy with hers, until I made her borrow a pair of Atomic C11s from our hotelguest neighbour (Thanks John)

She went from struggling on fairly straighforward reds to a properly controlled and elegant descent down the Schilthorn (which is a pretty steep and not too wide black)

Now she bought a pair of Atomic SL-11s 155cm after trying out 7 pairs on a day of rental, including a number of ladies skis.

Why? The latest skis have so much more grip on the edges they radiate confidence compared to an older and much more slippery ski.

And No, renting gear is no guarentee for having good gear. Shame on you Central Sport Wengen... Almost always good, but as anything do do make bad mistakes (And handling of those mistakes is not up to what it should be imho)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 11-03-06 11:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Michelle, i thank you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlanUK, my dyslexic typing, link should work now.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ronald, Thanks for the input Ronald but I think you are missing her point, she has no desire to ski blacks but I am pleased that your siter has found the solution to her problem.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, I have looked at the chalet. We have already had a week in Austria a few weeks ago so couldn't possibly go again till April. How sure would the snow be week commencing April 16th
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AlanUK, CVL 1650 is exactly what you describe. And there's pizza at the Ours Blanc on the front de neige for lunch as well.
snow report
AlanUK, even if she wants to ski only the easiest pistes in the world, she needs the right skis. No more than chin height, and easy turning. There are loads on the market. You really should try Les Saisies, where we have an apartment. It markets itself as the "easy resort my mummy takes me to" (it sounds better in French) and there is both an easy, and a pisseasy, way down from the three peaks the chairlifts go up to. It has some very easy reds, and some super linked, also very easy, ski runs in Crest Voland. For people wanting more challenge there are some good reds, some good blacks (one very difficult because hyper narrow and mogulled) and super ski-ing in lift-linked Notre Dame de Bellecombe, with long and more challenging reds, but still not scary - very wide, and very well pisted.

We don't rent out our apartment, so this is not marketing speak.

I have skied all the other places mentioned above except Alpe D'Huez. They are all very nice places, but they are not as easy as here, and you are a lot more likely to encounter boy racers. I have skied here for four seasons and only seen one, mild, collision. It's full of French people who can ski, not UK package tourists who think they can. Also, it is very nice for nervous skiers to be able to feel they can ski "all around the resort" which is certainly true here. You can get everywhere, even if not take all the alternative runs down. Erna Low rents out apartments here and there are some on the internet, though mostly French speaking (very few Brits here, which may or may not be a selling point for you! It's difficult for someone who speaks absolutely zilch French, but people are very friendly and welcome Les Anglais, which is not true everywhere). We bought an apartment here because I intend to ski until I am 106, and in the meantime we enjoy relaxed ski-ing with many visitors, and I am learning to snowboard to accompany those who only want to ski easy pistes.

Oh - the scenery is stunning. Mont Blanc. And superb snow record. Of the other places I would go for Courchevel - but you'd need to be at 1850, preferably. And for the last two winters we have had far better snow than Courchevel!
ski holidays
AlanUK,
I spent a morning in Flachau recently and the skiing seemed to be entirely of the blue / very easy red category and quite a lot of it. Three major caveats though about recommending it; I was only there for a morning so could not see it well The lift queues were bad on our visit, there were high speed lifts so I imagine this is only a problem in high season but I don't know. If you are wanting to do steeper skiing there didn't seem to be any, apart from that it should suit.
ski holidays
AlanUK, If she'w willing to travel, she might like Deer Valley in Utah. It's a little weird, a bit like being inside the "Truman Show", as everything is "perfect".

Almost all the runs are immaculately groomed green and blue (effectively European blues and easy reds). The lifts even have magnetic boards posting which runs they feed that have been groomed in the last 24hours. Every run has an "Easiest way down" signposted.

The lift pass is £45 or so, so a little pricey by EU standards.
latest report
Lizzard, what does CVL stand for?
snow report
sharon1953,
Quote:

what does CVL stand for?

Courchevel I assume. wink
snow conditions
AlanUK, Regardless what the Mrs wishes to ski, a good ski will give more confidence and thus give a nicer experience. It is purely the confidence the ski gave my sister that made her do the steep black so well... she did go down steep blacks before as well, but far from as nicely or as pleasantly.

Now translate that to the Mrs, she may well have more fun on the blues if she has a ski that gives her more confidence.
ski holidays
AlanUK, That is the lats week of the season in La Rosiere but there is shed loads of snow at the mo so most will still be there. Currently 360cm at the top and 210 cm in resort. It is a wonderfully sunny place.
snow report
AlanUK, La ros is nice, but a lot of the x-links are narrow and you have to keep some speed up for the dips and rises. I'd heartily recommend the La Thuile side of the ski area with a gondola up and down from the main bowls and huge motorway pistes. Bear mountain in Ca. is great but lots of boarders. Lots of US resorts are a bit sanitised to make the experience as safe as possible and Stowe, Killington, Mt Washington (and most of the New England resorts) are all fun for the timid as well as the more experienced. I've heard that Steamboat is particularly user friendly.
snow report
Quote:

Courchevel - but you'd need to be at 1850

Why, when it fits his criteria much less well than 1650?
snow conditions
Ronald, She started using blades with release bindings 2 years ago, and that did the trick thanks. Instant parallels and can turn on a sixpence! (please…no blade bashing now, I use Atomic 120’s and they are the best things I have ever used) We are in our 50's, I have just had a knee op (that’s why 120’s are so good) and my wife had a spinal operation some years ago, due to a riding accident (she competed for 20 years) so it won't matter what skis we have, we will never be doing any blacks! Our ski holidays are for 1 weeks pure fun, not a challenge; we leave that to our sons! I appreciate what you are saying, and I know that skis, (and boots for that matter) make a difference, so we ski in our own boots/skis. Confidence comes from skiing on the right terrain, with enough scope to practise and improve, but after that it’s all in the mind!

Thanks for all your suggestions folks, we are noting them down and will reseach them all. The word of people who have actually been to these places is invaluable.
snow conditions
Masque, I think you are right. La Thuile side is even better and quieter than the La Ros sode.
ski holidays
AlanUK, I would second pam w's suggestion of Les Saisies.

I think if your Mrs and her friend could be comfortable on easy reds you'd have a lot more scope though. I think it's very hard to navigate around most resorts, between green/blue zones, if you can't take on at least some reds. Once over that hurdle, it's generally easy to avoid the harder reds and blacks, which are often just alternative ways down.
latest report
It looks like you have already made up your mind, but can I put a mention in for Tignes. I went there this year and you can travel great distances by sticking exclusively to blues and greens. It has the highest and best snow covered green runs that I have ever experienced around the borsat/génépy area which were great fun and not flat at all. I would have thought it would suit you ideally.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlanUK, From your original question (and I haven't been there myself) it sounds as if Brekenridge would be ideal. All my friends whov'e been there describe it as having the dullest and most boring pistes in the world! Pisted waaaayyyyy too flat, and totally without challenge! (One of them was well over 70 when she said that too).
snow report
AlanUK, La Plagne-Les Arcs. Perfect, if Charmless but then snow filled woods are where it's at. Little Angel
snow report
laundryman, I agree and that's another problem altogether, because some reds are more blue, and visa versa, then when you change resort, the whole thing is different again! I have gone beforehand to check a run out, and been amazed at the classification and grading of some. I think that has something to do with not wanting to deter skiers of all abilities from the resort, a marketing ploy! easiski, yes we had considered that resort, thanks. This is really helpful.
snow report
AlanUK, I think you're right: resorts like to give the impression they've something for everyone.
snow report
easiski wrote:
AlanUK, From your original question (and I haven't been there myself) it sounds as if Brekenridge would be ideal. All my friends whov'e been there describe it as having the dullest and most boring pistes in the world! Pisted waaaayyyyy too flat, and totally without challenge! (One of them was well over 70 when she said that too).

Peak 7 in Breckenridge is largely well pisted 'rollers'; good run to whizz along and take off occasionally, but the novelty wears off. Elsewhere (the imaginatively named Peaks 8, 9 and 10) it's a mixture of everything, from well pisted greens and blues, interesting blue/blacks (don't ask me), single and double blacks and lift served off piste (or unpisted, at any rate; the areas have names and are patrolled). Not a huge area, but good fun for week, two at a pinch. It's very high, though (you sleep at 10 000'), which isn't good.

Breckenridge wouldn't keep you even slighty amused for more than a day or two if you stuck to the well pisted greens and blues, unless you were 1st/2nd weeker.
ski holidays
AlanUK, even in normal years there always been snow in La Rosiere in the last week of April, last year we still had over 60cms in the village on the last day of April. No guarantees but I'd say that the 16th this year will be terrific, don't forget we offer ski hostinga spart of our package so you'll be able to find your way around very quickly.
latest report
Quote:

Courchevel - but you'd need to be at 1850

Why, when it fits his criteria much less well than 1650?

maybe I am remembering it wrong - was 2001 - but recall that the route back from 1850 to 1650 was not that easy and involved some narrowish bits. 1650 on its own would be a bit limited for a week, and there are some great wide long easy runs at 1850. It was January 2001 and Courchevel 1650 had the best snow in the 3 Valleys. Best of a bad bunch. Les Saisies, the following week, had better snow and that led to us mortgaging ourselves to the hilt to buy an apartment, which had not been part of the plan at all!
snow report
AlanUK, I read in a magazine last year that Les Sybelles has loads of easy blues and greens.

Ant
snow report
Quote:

recall that the route back from 1850 to 1650 was not that easy

Past the Altiport and down to Prameurel - all easy blue.
ski holidays
AlanUK, Soldeau Andorra, Sauze D'oulx Italy, La Plagne & Val D'Ispere France all have lots of easy runs/motorway sliding
ski holidays
I've only recently graduated up from being pretty nervous myself. I'd say les arcs 1950 would be a good choice. The cascades run you start on from there is utterly non terrifying (it's a piste mauve, for beginners and kids) and links directly to some lovely horror free runs above 1800 near the snow park. There are also several lovely blues in 2000 itself and mont blanc down to 1600 is again very very wide and gentle. Charmotteger run is also nice and gentle (and quiet) on the 1800 side.

I would also recommend belle plagne, the runs on that side of la plagne are very gentle (dull as dishwater even for me nowadays) Just stay away from the aime la plagne side - too steep and bumps to get down to the plagne centre bowl from there and an evil drag lift if you go the wrong way in the trees. I would also avoid plagne 1800 as you would need to either ride a bus or the steep run from aime la plagne every day to get to centre/belle. Centre itself would be fine, very easy green down to a lift that links to the gentle runs over the bellecote/belle plagne way. The run home from bellecote to centre is narrow for maybe 30m towards the end but is fine in all other respects.

Val Thorens had lots of lovely blues and a green that runs along the front of a lot of the accomodation but I can't remeber details now as it was years ago - however probably worth a look as I had a great time there and that was only my 2nd trip when I was still very much a nervous newbie.

Pas had lovely fear free runs, I remember doing a lot of VERY easy reds that were wide and well pisted. Soldeu similar and in the trees. Can't remeber the details now though - did less piste map reading as everything was so unthreatening!

I'd avoid LDA, Serre Chevalier, alp d'huez and meribel simply as I remeber all of these as being 'too hard' when I visited them and it sounds like your wife is at least as nervous as I ever was.

HTH,

aj xx
latest report
Dan, thanks Dan, not heard of Val D' Ispere, do you mean Val D'Esire ? That resort doesn't come off well for timid skiers in any review I have read - so not so sure about that one. The problem isn't so much how many blues there are listed on the map, or what percentage they say are 'beginner', it's what they are actually like when you get there and ski them. Like I said earlier, it's a tourist information marketing tool to attract as many skiers as possible. What resort in their right mind it going to market a place as only best suited to one type of skier? But thanks for your help and Andora is a strong contender so far.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy