Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sadly...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/4112019-avalanche-fatality-raymond-cataract/

It's a terrible way to go. "Lucky" enough to survived the burial, only to died of hyperthermia.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What an incredible, and ultimately sad tale. The commitment of the ranger, the survival of a two hour burial followed by a tragic death.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chit chat from local community were, he tried several people he knew to find a partner to go with him. But none of his potential buddies were available. In the end, he decided he'd go without partner. What a sad ending.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 30-04-19 7:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am not so sure he died of hypothermia, it was mentioned in the article as a possibility that his organs may have been preserved due to that but not that it was the cause of death.
It sounds a lot like what can happen in suspension trauma where venous pooling occurs. When mobile again the toxic blood can cause organ failure.

Ultimately horrific and sad.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The cause of death was reported as asphyxiation.

Severe hypothermia takes a long time in this scenario, core heat loss would run at about 3°c/hr at peak (under 1°/hr min.) Burial time here was 133 minutes although I assume that figure is a best guess. Which puts a likely condition of moderate hypothermia. That's been linked to survival in long burial times hence the suggestion to use ECMO (I'm sure Wikipedia will explain).

I see the reason it reminds you of suspension trauma but that's a massively complex issue in it's own right and little confusing in this context. You're thinking of compartment and reflow syndrome. It's certainly the case that asphyxiation leads to hypoxia as well. In some ways the failure of organs to pump blood, deliver oxygen, clear waste etc are common to a lot of medical conditions and you'll see that across different conditions.

A thought here might be that burials can lead to complex medical problems that need advanced support but primary or on-scene responders need some skills. Or, having CPR & BLS skills are vital as is calling for outside help ASAP.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ouch.

Gruesome but good analysis.

Lines up with the advice to never ski east or north trails in the afternoon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a tragic story too

https://www.planetski.eu/news/11722
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy