Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you live in EU for great skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
clarky999 wrote:
Personally wouldn't want to be stuck in a ski resort for a year, so for me options that spring to mind would be:

- Innsbruck
- Chamonix
- Aosta
- Lausanne
- Annecy?
- Feldkirch
- Bozen
- Garmisch
- Possibly Morzine (probably just about enough going on other than skiing?)

Another good point about not wanting to be stuck in a resort for a year. We went hiking/exploring in Chile a couple years ago and I was intrigued with Santiago’s proximity to the ocean as well being an hour away from Andes ski resorts. Actually, Valparaiso would even be better - smaller and more manageable - but maybe another hour to skiing.

So these might be some good ones for us to investigate further, especially ones that are in German-speaking areas.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want a small town very near, but not in (about 5miles from) the 3V, take at look at Bozel, which is just up the road from Brides Les Bains in the valley just below Courchevel and Meribel (so easy access to the 3V-think there's a short bus ride up to Courchevel). A proper small town, with a lake in town with an area for swimming and splashing about. I've been there in the summer and it had a good buzz, without being swanky. A good population of both french and other nationalities who live there all year and work in the ski industry in winter. There's loads of outdoorsy activities on offer. https://en.valleedebozel.com/discover.html

If you want to be closer to the ski lifts and in the 3V, my own fave resort is St Martin de Belleville, which is the most charming and characterful of the 3V resorts-most definitely NOT some concrete monstrosity (you could also look at Courchevel Le Praz), but a year long rental bang in the village would probably be a bit pricy. However, for St Martin the satellite hamlets of St Marcel, le Chatelard and Villerabout are still close enough for a stroll into the village of an evening. You might find it a bit on the quiet side outside of the winter and midsummer season. Am a big skier, but this season I've have done some lovely snowshoe hikes along the Belleville Valley. In the summer, there are great walks and cycles routes up there and in the whole of the 3V, plus mountain refuges for longer overnight trips
Echo the comments (without detailed knowledge) of looking at somewhere in the Dolomites such as Bolzano.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tom_Ski, IMO, you really couldn't do better than to use Bourg St Maurice as a base, in the tarentaise valley there are more than 1,600 kms of pisted ski run and miles of off-piste. BSM is a working valley town so it doesn't have the atmosphere of a ski-resort but it is a pleasant town with all the amenities that you would expect. Within a 45 minute drive you have Tignes, Val d'Isere and Ste Foy all of which are very different but each with their own distinct character and some of the best off-piste skiing to be found anywhere. From BSM you have a funicular directly to Les Arcs which is now connected to La Plagne. On the opposite side of the valley there is La Rosiere, within 25 minutes, which is linked to La Thuile in Italy and which is the only resort in France from which you can heli-ski, there are some amazing descents from the Ruitor glacier in Italy back to France. You can even ski from La Thuile off-piste to Courmayer and ski Mont Blanc - the Vallee Blanche down into Chamonix. In short in a season you could pack in a lifetime's skiing and follow routes that the majority of skiers will never see.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you, @Tom_Ski, being an American and all, want to drive everyday to ski? Does BSM have uplift to ski without driving?

BSM seems like a good suggestion...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aosta or Samoens
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say Innsbruck area because an hour travel will get you a long way & give lots of variety as well.
Also public transport is actually joined up thinking that its a breeze to get around. So you may not even need a car, etc.
You could always 'holiday' to france or italy from Innsbruck. Maybe hit Oktobfest in Munich, etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got to admit that Samoens, which I know quite well, would not be on my list.

Annecy might. Had a very excellent evening there last week at the Aussie Pink Floyd Show, hotel opposite a delightful craft brewery/bar. Had a rather good supper in what appeared to be a tourist trap but was good and reasonable (l'Abbaye).

Innsbruck seems quite nice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tom_Ski,
I'd go for somewhere in the Isere valley. Loads of ski resorts & summer activities in the area. Tour de France going through this summer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Austria near one of the big resorts and preferably on one of the free ski bus routes...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
Do you, @Tom_Ski, being an American and all, want to drive everyday to ski? Does BSM have uplift to ski without driving?

BSM seems like a good suggestion...

yes you get the funicualar up to Les Arcs
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tom_Ski, I've not skied in the US and dont really have much desire to, because I love the Alps and the different cultures all along the one mountain range. Have you skied Europe before?
edit forgot to ask do you climb? this could make a good difference for summer destination

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 17-04-19 18:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mother hucker, ahhh. That sounds nice and handy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mother hucker wrote:
@Tom_Ski, I've not skied in the US and dont really have much desire to, because I love the Alps and the different cultures all along the one mountain range. Have you skied Europe before?
edit forgot to ask do you climb? this could make a good difference for summer destination

Yes, once. Hintertux, up on the glacier in July a few decades ago. I hear you re the culture and charm of Europe and the Alps. Definitely part of the appeal. My wife and I both like the idea of spending awhile in EU and exploring during all the seasons there. We love the food, the culture, the people, and villages.

Re your comment about not much desire to ski in the US, if you're an avid skier you may want to reconsider that. Based on my limited understanding of skiing over there, the runs and the snow here are quite different and would be worth experiencing. But always great to be happy where one is, that's for sure. So good for you that you love where you are!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom_Ski wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Yes, once. Hintertux, up on the glacier in July a few decades ago. I hear you re the culture and charm of Europe and the Alps. Definitely part of the appeal. My wife and I both like the idea of spending awhile in EU and exploring during all the seasons there. We love the food, the culture, the people, and villages.

Re your comment about not much desire to ski in the US, if you're an avid skier you may want to reconsider that. Based on my limited understanding of skiing over there, the runs and the snow here are quite different and would be worth experiencing. But always great to be happy where one is, that's for sure. So good for you that you love where you are!

im in the UK but have been doing most of my skiing in the Espace Killy(Val Disere and Tignes) and the Tatra mountains(my wife is Polish and is from the near the Tatras) The Tatras are amazing and a complete different experience to the Alps.
I fully understand what you say about the snow over on the west coast and maybe one day i will but i love Europe. Stories from old mountain experts in with their accents even silly simple things like the fresh bread and pastries in the morning.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lee Shaw wrote:
@Tom_Ski, IMO, you really couldn't do better than to use Bourg St Maurice as a base, in the tarentaise valley there are more than 1,600 kms of pisted ski run and miles of off-piste. BSM is a working valley town so it doesn't have the atmosphere of a ski-resort but it is a pleasant town with all the amenities that you would expect. Within a 45 minute drive you have Tignes, Val d'Isere and Ste Foy all of which are very different but each with their own distinct character and some of the best off-piste skiing to be found anywhere. From BSM you have a funicular directly to Les Arcs which is now connected to La Plagne. On the opposite side of the valley there is La Rosiere, within 25 minutes, which is linked to La Thuile in Italy and which is the only resort in France from which you can heli-ski, there are some amazing descents from the Ruitor glacier in Italy back to France. You can even ski from La Thuile off-piste to Courmayer and ski Mont Blanc - the Vallee Blanche down into Chamonix. In short in a season you could pack in a lifetime's skiing and follow routes that the majority of skiers will never see.

This does look like an amazing location. Only concern would be distance to nearest major airport, which appears to be Geneva. Thanks!
snow report
Lee Shaw wrote:

And Beaufort cathedral next to the train station
latest report
Would definitely agree with either Bolzano or Merano. Bolzano gives you the Dolomites on both sides and Merano additionally gives good access to resorts on the Reschenpass and further on. Both are beautiful old towns that sit on the newly created EU cycle route that follows the old Roman route Via Claudia Augusta. They are also within a short drive of the MTB scene at the North of Lake Garda - thats where I would base myself for the best of all seasons
snow report
Tom_Ski wrote:

This does look like an amazing location. Only concern would be distance to nearest major airport, which appears to be Geneva. Thanks!

Have you got a visa sorted?
snow conditions
@Tom_Ski,

Sorry to be pedantic but your title says EU , short for European Union which is a trading union that doesn't Include Switzerland or Norway , I’m sure you mean Europe the continent .
ski holidays
Yes, I meant Europe. (Thanks for the clarification- forgot about Switzerland not being in there).
snow report
How about a flat in a valley town/city, then excursions across a region - perhaps Lausanne? Or somewhere smaller like Martigny? Lots of benefits to being based in an urban location in terms of culture and summer events. Lausanne is a University town on Lake Geneva and seems to have a slightly younger, student atmosphere. And from there you're only a short drive/train to loads of ski areas in France as well as CH. You'd also be close to Geneva Airport, so a short hop to other European cities for culture breaks. Flights GVA-London> out thurs/back Tues in May £80 return (realistically, more like £100-£110 at a civilised time etc.).

Take a look at the Official Swiss Tourist website www.myswitzerland.com

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 17-04-19 20:53; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Have you got a visa sorted?

Not yet - still not sure of exact timing next year. Planning scouting run this Fall. Then nail down dates and Visa.
snow conditions
I'd go to Switzerland if you can afford it. Loads of top notch resorts, many of which are accessible by the train network.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd go to Switzerland if you can afford it. Loads of top notch resorts, many of which are accessible by the train network.

ditto this. The rail network makes travel time feel shorter. The idea of 1-2 hours each way in a car to go somewhere to ski or bike is not very appealing, but doing the same on the Swiss rail network...no big deal. At least that's the way I feel after traveling around Switzerland by train and skiing for a few days last month.

I also would agree with the advice regarding staying in a small town/large city rather than a true ski resort if you will be there for a solid year.
latest report
I'd agree about the efficient and integrated Swiss public transport system. See the official swiss rail website at www.sbb.ch/en. There are various travel cards and discount cards available, like the annual ½-price fare card costing CHF 185 (CHF 120 for 16-25 year-olds).
latest report
I live near Lausanne. It’s a great place but I’d definitely live in Verbier if I was coming for a year, with a focus on skiing, biking and hiking, and had the choice. You can easily live and work in cities anywhere in the world. Living in a world class resort like Verbier is a much rarer opportunity and most people would bite your hand off to have that opportunity.
latest report
@BobInCH It was more a case of providing a bit of balance for the OP in terms of asking themselves what they really want from their trip. Trouble with being in resort might be the Spring, and to a lesser extent autumn, when the lift system is mostly shut down. Being in a resort is going to be great in winter and summer but conversely, they might prefer to be in a valley town/village in the low seasons. Perhaps something to think about when they do their scoping trip. Personally, I'd prefer to live somewhere around the Lake for a year (well, on the Lake, of course, but not unless I win the lottery), but that's me. Trouble with these sort of threads is that naturally, the OPs don't provide a huge amount of background, so they may be more open to other options than their initial question implies.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 17-04-19 21:42; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@BobinCH, I agree with the sentiment but keep in mind his wife is a non-skier. Verbier might be a bit much for a season if you don’t ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LaForet wrote:
@BobInCH It was more a case of providing a bit of balance for the OP in terms of asking themselves what they really want from their trip. Trouble with being in resort might be the Spring, and to a lesser extent autumn, when the lift system is mostly shut down. Being in a resort is going to be great in winter and summer but conversely, they might prefer to be in a valley town/village in the low seasons. Perhaps something to think about when they do their scoping trip. Personally, I'd prefer to live somewhere around the Lake for a year (well, on the Lake, of course, but not unless I win the lottery), but that's me. Trouble with these sort of threads is that naturally, the OPs don't provide a huge amount of background, so they may be more open to other options than their initial question implies.

And I appreciate the distinction. The Lausanne idea appeals for that reason, as does Innsbruck, Garmisch, Salzburg, and some others that people have suggested. I've put them all on a Google map, and started investigating climate. Seems like Austrian locations have a lot of rain in the summer. Coming from San Francisco Bay area we're spoiled. Where we live we have six months of pretty much no rain, temperate days and cool nights. Winter is more variable, but rarely below 50degF during the day - and on any given day it can be sunny and 70degF here. Or raining. For many of the last 7-8 years we were in a severe drought, so we got little rain in the winter.

I like the idea of the lake nearby, and the town - I've been to CH, but not to Lausanne - bet it's beautiful. More to check out. Thanks!
snow conditions
@Tom_Ski, yes, it rains in Austria (that’s how they can grow so much food here), but I found it to be fairly predictable. I’ve only had one summer here so far, but many days from May to the end of October were pretty hot and sunny (maybe not like SF though, max was about 36C) and then around 5pm there was a thunderstorm for a couple of hours. Or maybe all night, but it was generally done by the morning. It’s not like the UK, and the rain doesn’t spoil your day very often.
snow report
@Tom_Ski, the Austrian locations are not particularly rainy in summer however there are often thunderstorms in the afternoons. This is common in many mountain locations particularly in hotter weather. The Innsbruck area especially can get pretty warm in July, temperatures 30 degrees plus are common (90 degrees in old money). The thunderstorms can be very spectacular, high winds and a lot of rain in a very short space of time. The climate certainly is more variable than the Bay area though not so much foggy weather. In general the best weather is from mid August until the end of October, a good chance of getting long periods of dry sunny weather, as it is not so hot it makes for more comfortable walking in the mountains. October often has picture perfect blue skies, mixed in with early morning mist and the trees starting to turn, conditions known locally as "Kaiserwetter" (Emperor's weather). One advantage of Innsbruck is the ease of access to the Südtirol and parts of the Italian alps. It is an easy train ride or drive over the Brenner pass.

The lake frontage in Lausanne is beautiful with the view across the lake to the mountains, the town itself not so much. It has a fairly "international" feel, maybe you might feel more comfortable with that. Transport connections are good, Geneva is close by, easy to get to Zürich even Paris and Milan. It isnt particularly close to any skiing, I guess Leysin / Villars would be the closest and they are not the biggest or highest resorts. Verbier isnt too far away though.
snow report
Tom_Ski wrote:
In general I have fun on steep groomers, carving big GS turns. Throw in some steep, longish headwalls to mix it up a bit, and I’m having fun, even if there isn’t a big dump of fresh. As I said, I have no experience in the backcountry, but if that’s what’s on in Europe, I’d be game to give it a try.

Just in case you don't already know - very little of the backcountry is avi controlled here in Europe. You generally go offpiste at your own risk and take shovel, probe and transceiver, many also have airbags these days.
snow conditions
@Tom_Ski, Lausanne isn’t really “near” to any skiing and wouldn’t be my choice for that reason.
ski holidays
Ok how far a drive is Innsbruck, Chamonix, Verbier etc to the coast in the summer Toofy Grin

Briancon / Serre Chevalier to Mediterranean coast is 3hrs.

Italy 20mins away.

And Briancon* boasts to have more days of sunshine than anywhere else in the mountains, and when I'm on my travels and come across people and tell them where we live they do so exclaim how wonderful it must be to live there.

We are best placed for road cycling having the most legendary climbs (outside of the Pyrenees) and cycling routes that there are concentrated in one area, and the MTB is as good as you want to make it.

I have travelled a fair bit around the Alps and again excluding the Pyrenees, what we have, or should I say don't have are the hordes of people and traffic I'd say we're 50% less than the likes of Chamonix and the whole Tarrantaise / Savoie.

And as for UK reg cars, you'll be hard pressed to see more than two or three and expats must number less than 80 or so.

And the skiing is not too bad, with road trips a plenty to other locations such as La Grave.

We are also not a ski factory where punters are bussed in week after week, and again we actually don't have a bonkers Billie punter apres bar in the whole of the valley and city of Briancon, which I know but not be attractive for some for their weeks holiday.

Ski touring is excellent with a couple of high altitude roads giving great access.

This week I've been in the same sector three times (easy ski touring no guides required) and have only seen two other groups of locals, we literally have the whole mountain more or less to ourselves, if that had been Cham or Aosta / Gressony would be a bun fight!

In fact the same type of ski touring routes do not really exist in those areas

There is so much open space and land compared to many other resorts I've been to where it seems chalets are squashed in on top of each other.

Negatives are that we don't have 4,000m peaks and awesome accessible glacier skiing such as Zermatt.

But if you're into climbing there are many good climbing areas and Via Ferrata.

Take a look at the map of Briancon City centre, it's tiny with only two main roads, then view it satellite or in Google Earth and you'll see the wondrous old town and the Vauban high altitude forts guarding it

https://goo.gl/maps/nHAsMF6kN7ZgJmgN9

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Out on the bike now as a tad cloudy and not too conducive to ski touring this morning.

To read more about what we do on the odd occasion click on the blog link below.

**according to Briancon tourist office
ski holidays
Another thought this morning - how about renting in a resort for the winter season, then switching to a more urban area for the rest of the stay?

Around every other year, we get an enquiry* from someone about a discounted rate for renting our apartment for the whole season - usually they're working for one of the big NGOs in Geneva/Lausanne/Lakeside or on secondment to one of the big Corporates there. If we weren't using it ourselves, it'd be attractive: it's much easier to have one booking versus the uncertainty of individual weeks (Christmas, New Year and school holiday weeks go quickly, but not the weeks in-between). From what the rental agency says, people would generally be looking for a hefty discount, for our last enquiry of this type, they'd have been paying 10 weeks rental for a winter season of around 18-20 weeks.

I appreciate your case is different, so perhaps what you'd might do is arrive at the start of the winter season, take a place as above in a resort like Verbier or a Satellite like ours (to save cost) through to the Easter end-of-season, and then transfer to an urban location for the rest of your visit ... just another thought.

[*Not a pitch to rent our place - we don't do seasonal rentals because we use it outside of the school hols.]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 18-04-19 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Mother hucker,
Quote:
even silly simple things like the fresh bread and pastries in the morning.
This is not a silly thing. It's the essence of life!
snow report
Tom_Ski wrote:
Lee Shaw wrote:

How often would you be requiring an airport during the year?

A list of Alpine airports here:-
https://www.findskiholidays.com/airports-in-the-alps
snow report
The Montafon.

Done! Toofy Grin
snow report
@Tom_Ski, wherever you settle on, be sure to include a spare room. I want to come for a visit or 2. Very Happy
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:

Around every other year, we get an enquiry* from someone about a discounted rate for renting our apartment for the whole season - usually they're working for one of the big NGOs in Geneva/Lausanne/Lakeside

Make mental note never to give a penny to any Swiss based NGO.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy