Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift pass cost in USA

Poster: A snowHead
I would describe the food I've had in N American resorts as adequate and reasonably priced (relative to a ski resort). Yes it was things like nachos, burgers, poutine which I'm sure some would turn their nose up at. I do like how there is usually a lodge where you can use a microwave, get boiling water, free condiments, cutlery etc. meaning it's convenient to take your own food should you not like what's on offer or the prices. Also more and more places (or at least the local towns) are offering more good food options including more upmarket gourmet dining.

Personally food is one of the least import factors for me. If I am going to stop for food I'm much more likely to choose something fast so I can get back to riding asap. I'm still yet to find a good Indian in N America or mainland Europe snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peanuthead wrote:
@Bergmeister,
Was that in Applebys?

I admit I made a sweeping generalization but you know it's generally true.

You are Rory Stewart and I claim my £5.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree about the lack of good Indian restaurants in North America. A good friend moved to Canada several years ago and whenever she visits the first thing she asks to do is go to the local curry house. Now it’s ok but nothing special but to her it’s heaven!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What did Custer say again about the only good Indian?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TommyJ wrote:
I agree about the lack of good Indian restaurants in North America. A good friend moved to Canada several years ago and whenever she visits the first thing she asks to do is go to the local curry house. Now it’s ok but nothing special but to her it’s heaven!

I would suggest trying Houston - there is a very substantial Indian and Pakistani district with scores of Indian restaurants. https://vacationidea.com/texas/best-indian-restaurants-houston.html or https://houston.eater.com/2016/6/8/11890646/spotted-anthony-bourdain-in-sugar-land (lots of holes in the wall not going to be listed in any of these)

That said, I still would rather ski in Europe Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Food is VERY personal. Far more than even skiing terrain!

So, for those who likes certain kind of food, Europe or US wins hands down. They don't know anything different.

But one thing you don't do, is cross the pond from Europe to ski endless connected piste in the US, and look for good French/Italian food & wine! Or the reverse, cross the pond from the US to ski Europe and complain about the lack of off-piste or good steaks!

A lot of the "opinions" expressed here strikes me as one of the above.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TommyJ, This is true, but improving. It just depends on the immigration waves. Think we have way better Vietnamese and thai, but still miss standard british curries
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gryphea, Indian Kitchen in Golden served a bloody good curry last week. There was one table of Brits and two of Indians when I arrived, which was good start. There's a board over the highway commemorating the arrival of Sikhs in Golden in 1902, not that I'd expect to find them in the kitchen.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
Or the reverse, cross the pond from the US to ski Europe and complain about the lack of off-piste or good steaks!

Europe has cows too.

A nice bit of Aberdeen Angus goes down well after a day at Glenshee. Have had plenty of good beef in France and Switzerland too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don’t rate the steaks I’ve had in the US as being particularly good, lathered down in overly sweet sauce
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want a real eye-opener, take a look at the cost of private instruction in the US...

Heavenly is USD815 + tip (15% is typical, USD 100 is close to “expected”)
Jackson Hole USD885 + tip, (or USD950 + tip if you want “early gondola” privileges)

Day rates in USD for comparison (& I haven’t picked low-cost resorts) :

Verbier USD550
Selva val Gardena USD415
Chamonix USD410
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rjs,
Quote:

Europe has cows too.

A nice bit of Aberdeen Angus goes down well after a day at Glenshee.
God knows how many steaks I've had in the UK but there aren't many I'd rate much higher than a 5/10. On the other hand I've seldom had a bad steak in Germany, Russia, Switzerland, Austria and most other places. Steaks in the US are generally good but as Herne9 says you do have to watch out they don't try and cover it in disgusting sweet sauces. If I could change one thing about almost every food item in the US is to cut the sugar. Steaks in France are bit hit and miss mainlky down to some dodgy cuts. I think the main problem we have in the UK is that we cut steaks too thinly. The 'Steak University' (!!!) has this to say ... "While 1 inch is a good starting point, the best steaks, especially when it comes to premium cuts like ribeyes and strips, are around 1.5 inches in thickness. A 1.5 inch thick steak – the size you’ll find from most premium butchers or wholesalers – is where steak excellence really starts to happen.".

I love cooking but have struggled to cook a decent steak until recently. A couple of the tips I've spent too long learning are:
1. Make sure the steak is really dry or you will never get a crust.
2. Buy one BIG steak for two people (instead of two thin ones) and then slice it when cooked.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@foxtrotzulu, Head east from Glenshee and you are in the middle of cow country. I guess I could claim to be a local so knew which were good butchers and which restaurants used them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The elements of a ski holiday that Europe does better include food, mountain restaurants, general ambience and no jet lag. I have to admit I have only skied in the US once so I don’t have lots of experiences to compare, but the on-mountain food in Vail was horrendously expensive and to call it moderate would be generous.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@foxtrotzulu, agree with your points except I like the cut the big steak in 2 before I cook it. If after, then you are cutting through the middle, which will still be cooking. Try the before approach next time and see how you like it.
snow report
IanTr wrote:
If you want a real eye-opener, take a look at the cost of private instruction in the US...

Jackson Hole USD885 + tip, (or USD950 + tip if you want “early gondola” privileges)

Verbier USD550
Selva val Gardena USD415
Chamonix USD410

Spot on. We've used half-day private instruction in Courmayeur, Chamonix, Obergurgl and Saas-Fee... even Switzerland is cheaper!?
latest report
Out of curiosity...

Winter Park - pre-book peak season $799
Crested Butte - regular season $700
Squaw Valley - advance rate $799

Crans Montana - 420 Swiss Francs (or $420)
Kitzbuhel - 320 Euro
Cervinia - 310 Euro high season
ski holidays
Steaks in the US are generally good but as Herne9 says you do have to watch out they don't try and cover it in disgusting sweet sauces.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Steaks in the US are generally good but as Herne9 says you do have to watch out they don't try and cover it in disgusting sweet sauces.

Don't know where you guys had your "steak" in the US. I've never had them had any source ON TOP!

There's usually source on a separate dish, which you get to choose how much to put on your steak (or at all).

Maybe that's my issue with steaks in Europe. I'd prefer them "naked", with very little seasoning. The best steaks, I'm told, are in south America. I haven't gone down there yet. The imitation I've tried are the Brazilian steak house in New York. It was quite amazing!

foxtrotzulu wrote:
Buy one BIG steak for two people (instead of two thin ones) and then slice it when cooked

Totally agree. Even more so if your wife only eats half portion. It's next to impossible to cook a thin piece nice and even.
snow conditions
I can confirm that the steaks in Argentina are amazing. That said, steaks in the U.S. are generally great and if you're putting any sauce on a nice tenderloin (or ask for it to be cooked well done), you should get thrown out. The only acceptable "sauce" is chimichurri and, again, then we're back to Argentina.

Steak should be salt and pepper with some butter... any good chef will tell you they put butter on their steak to finish it off. And yes, if we're talking steaks, the US wins. Same goes for BBQ. No one can touch the Italians and, please, don't ever have Mexican in Europe. As a local singer says here, never eat Mexican east of the Mississippi and north of Dallas.
ski holidays
How do you want your Steak done?

Just cut the Horns off & wipe its Ass .

Very Happy
latest report
Argentinian steak ranchers bought a lot of prime Aberdeen Angus cattle to breed with their own. The results are outstanding.
snow report
mr. mike wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, agree with your points except I like the cut the big steak in 2 before I cook it. If after, then you are cutting through the middle, which will still be cooking. Try the before approach next time and see how you like it.
I wasn’t talking about cutting it into two, but cutting it into about 5-7 slices. Still, two might work.
latest report
@ItaloSkier, I can believe your point about Mexican food. I’ve never eaten it West of the Mississippi and maybe because of that have always thought it pretty average. It never seems to matter what you order it always tastes exactly the same as every other Mexican dish. I’d come to the conclusion that Mexican food simply wasn’t a great cuisine.
snow report
ItaloSkier wrote:
IanTr wrote:

Verbier USD550
Selva val Gardena USD415
Chamonix USD410

Spot on. We've used half-day private instruction in Courmayeur, Chamonix, Obergurgl and Saas-Fee... even Switzerland is cheaper!?

ouch! do you recall how much group lessons were?
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@ItaloSkier, I can believe your point about Mexican food. I’ve never eaten it West of the Mississippi and maybe because of that have always thought it pretty average. It never seems to matter what you order it always tastes exactly the same as every other Mexican dish. I’d come to the conclusion that Mexican food simply wasn’t a great cuisine.

I was really disappointed in the food when I visited Mexico.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:

The reality in the US is that the majority of Mexican food is a variation of Tex Mex which, yes, is kind of all the same. To truly get to know Mexican food and its glory, you need to visit one of two places. 1. Mexico City (which is astounding in its own right) and 2. Oaxaca. The food in Mexico City goes to 11.

On the group lesson costs, I'm not sure. We always book private lessons.

Related - I'm doing more in-depth research on Bormio. Almost every school I've checked is 45 Euro per hour for private instruction. Adding a second student costs 5 Euro. 50 Euro an hour for private instruction with no tip expected. Amazing.
latest report
@ItaloSkier, Bormio is a very good value and excellent for food and wine. Resort is a little limited. Decent snow surety. Went there two years ago, if you don't mind a relatively small ski area this is certainly worth a look.

Meanwhile turning to ski passes USA.

IKON vs EPIC Pass comparison 2019-2020 using google maps - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1sP97Pm9m8r7nR7WnVvgy7cxELqZzuMzy&usp=sharing

note; only covers the north American resorts

thanks to @ousekjarr, for making a similar map covering the Austrian multi-pass resorts which gave me the inspiration
snow report
LittleBullet wrote:
@ItaloSkier, Bormio is a very good value and excellent for food and wine. Resort is a little limited. Decent snow surety. Went there two years ago, if you don't mind a relatively small ski area this is certainly worth a look.

Meanwhile turning to ski passes USA.

IKON vs EPIC Pass comparison 2019-2020 using google maps - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1sP97Pm9m8r7nR7WnVvgy7cxELqZzuMzy&usp=sharing

note; only covers the north American resorts

thanks to @ousekjarr, for making a similar map covering the Austrian multi-pass resorts which gave me the inspiration

Family won't get wrapped up on the small area. I'll have to make sure we visit the other nearby resorts or even take a trek to Livigno or Aprica. We'll have a car.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You will certainly need a car, if I recall correctly transfers were a bit awkward. Livigno is an hour away so doable for a day trip. When we went to Bormio my OH was a complete beginner so resort size wasn't an issue. If you decide to consider driving to Passo Tonale bear in mind the mountain pass is often shut in the winter.
snow report
As further comparison we just bought our Portes du Soleil season passes for next year for EUR499 plus c. EUR250 for the kids which came out at just aver EUR1550 for a family of four. Admittedly this was on an early-bird offer limited to 3000 passes but was widely published and easy to secure. Probably less than the price of a week's family skiing in a posh US resort!
snow conditions
LittleBullet wrote:
You will certainly need a car, if I recall correctly transfers were a bit awkward. Livigno is an hour away so doable for a day trip. When we went to Bormio my OH was a complete beginner so resort size wasn't an issue. If you decide to consider driving to Passo Tonale bear in mind the mountain pass is often shut in the winter.

Tonale is tempting but it looks like a long ride. We've been to Ponte di Legno before but in the summer... took lifts up and enjoyed the views. Never saw Tonale. That's why I think Aprica, via Tirano looks more doable. Diavolezza looks like its a reasonable option, as well. I'll drive anywhere for snow Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Out of curiosity...

Kitzbuhel - 320 Euro

From what I can see Chamonix and 3 valleys are both over €1000.

Loveland - $420, red mountain (was 8th biggest ski area in N American but they just added 300acres) 600 euro early bird.

So there is a range of prices on both sides. I don't think many of us that prefer n America recommend it for it's cheap lift passes anyway. They are two completely different experiences.
ski holidays
Vail Resorts purchased our local lift companies in February and have converted the local season pass to the Epic pass. For comparison here is the current pricing. Converts to US 605, Euro 542, Stirling 468. The Epic Pass is A$150 cheaper than our season pass last year. As a senior it's even better value than last year.

ski holidays
Re getting a good curry.

I am just back from 3 weeks in Salt Lake City Utah skiing Alta and Snowbird.

I can personally recommend the Bombay House and the Bhutan [ Midvale ] both are excellent. A word of warning on the Bhutan if the charming server asks how hot you want it; be conservative.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Out of curiosity...

Kitzbuhel - 320 Euro

From what I can see Chamonix and 3 valleys are both over €1000.

Loveland - $420, red mountain (was 8th biggest ski area in N American but they just added 300acres) 600 euro early bird.

So there is a range of prices on both sides. I don't think many of us that prefer n America recommend it for it's cheap lift passes anyway. They are two completely different experiences.

We used private instructors with ESF Argentiere during the 2017/2018 ski season - 1/2 day (3 1/2 hours) were 190 Euro and the instruction was exceptional and in English. Best instructor I've ever had was with ESF. Not sure where Chamonix is 1000 Euro but not our personal experience.

If you know Loveland, you know it is a mountain with nothing near it. No hotels nearby... closest town is maybe Georgetown but its not a good comparison. It is more a local's hill (admittedly one I've never skied and would like to ski) but 90% of people who ski it know it by driving underneath it to get to bigger resorts. Looks like a cool mountain but, again, it is vastly different than a place like Les Grand Montets which will eventually let you ski outside the valley with a private instructor for 410 Euro for a full day (Courmayeur is not considered outside the valley).

Just checked Madesimo since it is relevant to me right now. 44 Euro an hour for two kids!? Wow.
snow report
Italoskier the conversation you quoted was about season passes not lessons.
ski holidays
Ironically you quoted me which was comments were about ski lessons. I was responding to someone referencing ski lessons, spefically my response was to this:

"If you want a real eye-opener, take a look at the cost of private instruction in the US...

Verbier USD550
Selva val Gardena USD415
Chamonix USD410"

I'm going to add W T F on tips on top of exorbitant ski lesson fees. That is insane.
ski holidays
The best steak I've had is in The Basque Country. Up on the hills above Bilbao. Massive steak for three (please folks find do individual steaks) barbequed to perfection then sliced and served with BBQ coals to reheat or finish. Hours later it was time to stop eating.
snow report
Aussie Steve wrote:
Vail Resorts purchased our local lift companies in February and have converted the local season pass to the Epic pass. For comparison here is the current pricing. Converts to US 605, Euro 542, Stirling 468. The Epic Pass is A$150 cheaper than our season pass last year. As a senior it's even better value than last year.

Thats not bad value and including Perisher would make it much more worth while for those that like skiing different resorts. Last time I was back in Australia we spent more than that each after skiing Buller, Hotham, Falls, Thredbo, Perisher and Selwyn. I seem to remember it costing us nearly 1000 dollars each for 8 days piste skiing. The most we skied at one resort was 2 days so the pricing structure weas not helpful for us as we wanted to move around.

I'm guessing this might cause some problems for mt Buller and Thredbo?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy