Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dog frendly hotel near tunnel

Poster: A snowHead
We have a new puppy in the family & for the first time we will be traveling with a pet to the alps this summer. We normally stop off over night in the premier inn Ashford to get an early train but they don't allow pets. What do you pet owners do? does anyone know a hotel that allows pets near the UK side of the tunnel?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used pets pyjama's last year for our trip the other way around, was travelling to Ireland from France via UK and the tunnel. Fixed us up with some really nice dog friendly places.

https://www.petspyjamas.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think the Travelodge chain is usually dog friendly? Realise they are a bit crap but for one night, and less likely to rage if the pup pees on the floor (I'm a great fan of a Days Inn for this reason also!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, the Holiday Inn Express at Cheriton is brilliant, and very close to the tunnel terminal. Safe parking and free breakfast.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh and there's a bar downstairs which is great if you arrive late and thirsty. They'll even let you eat a takeaway pizza in the bar if you arrive too late for their restaurant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have used the Accors at Calais before, when we had a late school finish. Once you are in France the poochies are not issue at all. Guess from Edinburgh the idea of getting through the tunnel and adding the time is tough but well worth it as no dog hassle. What breed is it? You'll have such fun and be able to take it to dinner and everything. Lovely walks off the tramway with a dog. How is the shoulder by the way?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Cheesie168, Shoulder doing well, the physio is a bit painful but getting there, thanks for asking.
its a small dog a cotonodle, to be honest its not going to be my dog, its all the wife's & youngest want, they have been asking for about 18 months so I guess it;s not a fad.
Good to know about the Accors, we used to do the tunnel on day 1 & stay in Calais before the jungle popped up, now that's gone we might go back to that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ibis Thurrock just north of Dartford Crossing. Takes < 1hr to the tunnel from there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As @Hells Bells, says, Holiday Inn Cheriton.

Depending on when you arrive & what you need, there is a Tesco almost opposite, a good fish & chip shop 1/4 mile away opposite a BP & M&S service station. Best pub -The Gatekeeper- is about 3 miles away in village called Etchinghill.

You are about 5 minutes to the Tunnel from the hotel.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tesco is (or was) 24 hours, so useful when you've forgotten to put the bowls in the car for the dog food Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
Tesco is (or was) 24 hours, so useful when you've forgotten to put the bowls in the car for the dog food Embarassed Embarassed

Not any more. IIRC 6am - midnight except Sundays.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@knackered knees, better make sure I don't forget them next time then Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, our pooch often ends up having to drink/eat out of the small takeways= container his overnight food is in! Often forget his travels bowls rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny996, just in case Brexit happens before you go:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's age restrictions on travelling with a puppy too to prevent puppy smuggling. Your vet will no doubt advise.
snow report
@Hells Bells, thanks, never knew that......if this all goes wrong, me & the older one will just go & that way I get to take my toy car which I have wanted to do for years....... I did say it was the other two that wanted the dog.
ski holidays
@Jonny996, I think they have to be about 12 weeks before they can have the vaccine, then there is a 3 week wait until they can come back to the UK. If Brexit happens there may be a further delay of 3 months following a blood test to make sure the vaccine has been effective.
latest report
Hum, he's going to be 16.5 weeks old when/if we travel. The lady who is breeder seems to be on the ball, he's only 2 weeks old & he's been to vets for checkup/micro chip & worming already.
We need to register at a vet anyway so will ask before we book any travel.
Great advice as usual.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, you may be just OK if we are still in the EU then, but you'll have to be really on the ball with appointment dates.
snow report
Update: got the rabies jab & pet passport last night so good to go, been taking pup out in car to get used to it & he seems fine, just settles down to sleep after 5 minutes, just like the kids when they were babies. only down side I can see is he will be to young for big walks this year but I have 2 lazy boys that are happy with that & are volunteering to stay behind with him.
latest report
Yes, you do have to be careful with the walks until they are fully grown. Just got our own dogs to sort before out trip at the end of August. I think I will bring Lola's jab forward, then get blood tests when we get back in September if it looks like a no deal is happening. We should just then have time for our first winter ski trip.
snow report
ElzP wrote:
Think the Travelodge chain is usually dog friendly? Realise they are a bit crap but for one night, and less likely to rage if the pup pees on the floor (I'm a great fan of a Days Inn for this reason also!)

Maybe that's why "they are a bit crap." All that pooch pee on the carpet.... Shocked
latest report
@Jonny996, sounds like you are ready. You can take him on the tramway and do a nice little walk and then jump back on again leaving who ever wants to to do more walking. We took our present one when he was a similar age. We thought we had cracked the dog training...he was sooooooo good. We drove to Les Carroz for a few weeks and then down to the South of France (where the car broke down and we had to come back in a hire car). Came back to the cooler weather and bam his personality roared back Shocked . He is a very different kettle of fish to our other one who we could take anywhere. She'd lay under the table during dinner, not him, he'd have the whole table over pulling towards any food that came his way! Have a super time.
ski holidays
@Cheesie168, thanks. While I doubt he will be able to pull over any tables ( he is really small) I also doubt he will sit under a table while we have a nice dinner. I keep turning him upside down to see where the batteries go Happy as he never stops.
tramway is a good shout, there is also a nice walk from Bettex across the hill to St Nic. with a good restaurant at the turning point.
snow report
just moving this thread back up near top of my topic list
snow conditions
Sitting quietly underneath restaurant tables seems to be a basic skill of French dogs.
snow conditions
French kids are quite good at sitting quietly too......
ski holidays
@pam w, we invested a lot of leisure time and quite a few euros educating Coco as a young dog into the etiquette of sitting quietly under the table. There was the time we were enjoying dinner outside in Wurzburg on our way home and found we only had the end of the lead attached to a chair. We saw her wandering around the square entertaining other diners. She is currently under the table on the boat we are renting on the Norfolk Broads. Knowing her place ....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We haven't spent a penny on our dogs, as they were rescues. Bentley was not the best behaved when we got him, as he wanted to jump through windows if he saw other dogs,hubby, etc etc, but Lola came ready trained and sat obediently under the table from the first time we took her out. She did however teach Bentley how to behave, and it wasn't long before he sat quietly too, although it would need to be a massive table for both of them to be under. We visited my parents at the weekend, and Lola hid under the table when we got up to leave, as I think she expected to be there for lunch, and that's where she goes. It's been months since she visited them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy