Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/20 News Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Kicking off a thread now for next season to start highlighting some upcoming news for the region:

In Alta badia some new lifts planned for the new season:

La Brancia 6-seater chairlift (replaces 4-seater)
Stella Alpina 6-seater chairlift (replaces tow lift))
New Stella Alpina track
La Crusc Gondola 10 seats (replaces 2-seater)

In Alta badia some new infrastructure changes:

Construction should have begun now for a new major junction at the SS49/SS244 roads intersection at San Lorenzo in the Pusteria valley. Should help alleviate getting off and onto the main E66/SS49 road from/to Pusteria valley and Alta Badia

Construction should begin (or has begun) to improve the intersection of the SS244/SP27 roads in La Villa. The SP27 road goes from La Vill to San Cassiano

Construction should hopefully begin this year of a new roundabout in Corvara at the intersection of the road that goes to Colfosco.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They would be better upgrading the 4 person Sodlisia (in Colfosco, the link between the Borest and Plans bubbles) before the Stella !?

Having said that, good to see the SuperDolomiti continuing to invest snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albob wrote:
They would be better upgrading the 4 person Sodlisia (in Colfosco, the link between the Borest and Plans bubbles) before the Stella !?

Having said that, good to see the SuperDolomiti continuing to invest snowHead

There has been discussion about upgrading the Sodlisia on another forum but I dont know if its been approved yet. Maybe this will come the following season!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, just found something on an Italian forum looking at a replacement in 2020. Have seen a PDF of an application, but my Italian isn't good enough to understand it

https://deliberedl.gvcc.net/026/026_1_29k_2019.pdf :::EDIT:: link dead.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 30-06-19 11:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's nice to see the investment being made in my favourite ski area.

The queue at La Brancia was never too bad when I've been there but I guess a 4 seater to 6 seater upgrade is relatively easy to do.

The Stella Alpina tow lift always had quite a queue when I've been there so nice to see that being upgraded to a chairlift. It's used a lot by the ski schools so I can imagine there being some pressure to get it done.

The old 2 person La Crusc chairlift up to the church at Santa Croce was antiquated and lethal so needed doing. It felt like I'd been rabbit punched the last time I used it. A 10 person Gondola seems a bit overkill given that it's only fed by the 4 person chairlift. But maybe the chairlift is due for replacement next time around.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Stella Alpina is a lovely sunny spot but the queue was a horror for a very short run...

So that upgrade is very welcome and will be interesting to see what the new run is like too...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the lift I'd most like to see upgraded is the long cold chairlift up to Pralongia! (Masarei?). It needn't be a gondola (though that would be nice) but a faster chairlift with a bubble canopy to use when it's windy and heated seats would be luxury compared with the present chairlift.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. I'd really like the Capanna nera and Pralongia I tow lifts to be replaced by a chair. First tow is too long and the second one quite steep. Be great to get up to the half way point quickly and ski down to the main Pralongia chair and up to the Pralongia area in a shorter time

2. Regarding the new slope at Stella Alpina, seems it may be just another slope beside the existing one, to the right hand side facing uphill, but dont quote me on this!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
I think the lift I'd most like to see upgraded is the long cold chairlift up to Pralongia! (Masarei?).

If there was a vote from the Birthday Bashers, this would win! It lives in its own dimension. It's always colder than any other lift in the Sella Ronda Puzzled

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 10-06-19 19:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@maggi, glad you agree (great minds etc Toofy Grin )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would love if there was an alternative slope constructed to by-pass the dreaded run just above the Capanna Nera It’s always a relief to survive and relax on the terrace with a sundowner while looking up at what sometimes resembles flypaper.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gufo wrote:
I would love if there was an alternative slope constructed to by-pass the dreaded run just above the Capanna Nera It’s always a relief to survive and relax on the terrace with a sundowner while looking up at what sometimes resembles flypaper.

Do you mean the steep section of blue 8 that comes down from the base of the Pralongia II chair and La baita Restaurant? If so, I agree but not sure where they would put an alternative slope!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes exactly the blue 8 Too many being funnelled down at the end of the day. Perhaps because it is now part of the alternative Sella Ronda route. We had a look in the summer and that piste crosses a river and there isn’t any way to alter the slope. But I can wish !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always sad to lose a heritage drag lift but progress I suppose. Shame about the crusc chair. That is a lovely tranquil, even romantic journey up through the trees. Sat inside a gondola with eight other people just won’t be the same! The Refugio up at Sante Croce is also likely to be busier. I wonder if they will take the new Gondola right up to the church ?

Thanks for the update. Would love to know how successful last season was in terms of ticket sales.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
some odd changes there, especially changing a drag to a 6er.

I'd have put Costoratta and Vizza chairs higher up the list for upgrade, and some better way to cross over the road at Campolongo. And at least a cover on Maserei.

Alpinforum thread seems to talk about some kind of upgrade to Sodlisia, possibly with a "new" piste that might have been an old piste a long time ago.

Funivie photo seems to suggest that only the top lift of La Crusc will be replaced, which seems really odd. Top station is where the current top is. And some widening of the piste back down.
https://www.funivie.org/immagini_forum/19/r_20190320185045_LaCrusc.JPG
I wonder if changing a 2er to gondola is more for the summer hiking/MTBing? (bikes on chairlifts need staff to at least unload them, and often load them, depending on type, bikes in gondolas don't) But then the lower lift I think is only a 4er, so realistically could only carry 1 staff-assisted (both ends) MTB transport per chair. So dunno.
edit: webcam of the work here... https://www.bergfex.it/alta-badia/webcams/c13384/

Actually I wonder if Dolomiti Superski love for gondolas is for the MTBing, which is picking up (big race there this weekend), cos it saves on a lot of staff on the summer lifts?
ski holidays
andy wrote:

Actually I wonder if Dolomiti Superski love for gondolas is for the MTBing, which is picking up (big race there this weekend), cos it saves on a lot of staff on the summer lifts?

And it's not just standard mountain bikes either. When I was there in the summer a couple of years ago the whole of Alta badia was covered in tourists on e-mountain bikes. So even when not using lifts you still don't need any muscle to get up the hills. Seemed to be very big business round corvara at least.
latest report
view showing some of the construction at st croce

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c13384/
snow conditions
The Crusc Gondola must be part of a strategy to replace certain lifts with Gondolas? Surely the 4 person chair below will go the same way although I’m surprised the queues are ever that big as it’s out on a limb? I rather like the simple yet high capacity 2 person chair at the top and note that it is only 20 years old! Could be a bargain for some resort second hand! Hope they don’t ruin the character of the run at the top by widening it too much snowHead

Some info about the new Gondola:

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/alta-badia/ski-lifts/l106876/

The irony is that the Dolomites has the sunniest weather in the Alps and is therefore probably the area most suited to chairlifts, which may explain the walking, cycling and all abilities strategy which is also future proof in terms of climate change. I do like the comfort and safety of a gondola but they are a bit of a pain with telemark bindings.

I think Maserai is in the Arabba sector so not the responsibility of the Alta Badia

I did read in the good ski guide that Kronplatz has so many gondolas because of regional development subsidies so whether that has anything to do with Alta Badia’s preference ? I also note that Leitner, their main supplier, has its head office not far away, just south of Brenner.
snow conditions
"The irony is that the Dolomites has the sunniest weather in the Alps "
If you want to talk about irony, Toofy Grin
Have they moved the dolomites for 2020?
ski holidays
@freeridechef, Madeye-Smiley

While I do like a cosy gondola, the faff with skis is a real pain.
snow report
The Crusc gondola may have more to do with the development of the areas SummerPark than for skiers

"The SummerPark is located near the upstream station of the "Holy Cross" four-seater chairlift that departs from Pedraces, in Val Badia (BZ) and thanks to its ideal location is sun-kissed from morning to evening. The circular path passes through two shelters: while the children play, the parents have the opportunity to lie down on the terrace and rest. "
ski holidays
“I think Maserai is in the Arabba sector so not the responsibility of the Alta Badia”

The first Arabba lift is the Chairlift from Campolungo up to Bec de Rosses. Everything on the other side of the road and the lifts to Boe are Alta Badia
snow report
Hi there, as you ski down from Pralongia towards the Vizza you pass through a gate that marks the end of the Alta Badia sector and the start of the Arabba sector.

Here is a list of Arabba lifts which includes the Maserai.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas/Arabba/Lifts
snow report
I don't think you can tell which area is responsible for upkeep by those lists as some lifts (like maserai) are on both lists. See this list for Alta badia also has maserai on it. https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/open-lifts-snow-report.html
The local ski passes overlap in places.
snow report
Maseri is also claimed by Corvara !

https://www.altabadia.org/en/summer-holidays/summer-italian-alps.html

The gate Peter talks about is (I believe) at the bottom of the Incisa lift ; If I had the Badia local pass, I wouldn't like to risk skiing through it !!

----EDIT-----

Maybe I would --looking at the Alta Badia piste map it appears to include Cherz and Boe in its coverage ?!?
-------------------------------the Arabba piste map includes Cherz/Maseri/Incisa (no Boe)
ski holidays
freeridechef wrote:
"The irony is that the Dolomites has the sunniest weather in the Alps "
If you want to talk about irony, Toofy Grin

They can also have some seriously cold winds
latest report
Serious thread drift -- but Maseri (No28) as a drag might be warmer than the chair ! :: 1995 map ::

Series of Drags up to Selva !

snow conditions
The local ALta Badia ski pass will cover all the following:

Vizza chair up to Cherz
Cherz I and II chairs up to Cherz
Costoratta chair up to just below Boe
Crep De mont drag up to Crep De mont
Masarei chair up tp Pralongia

I'm sure it does not cover the lift from Campolongo pass up to Bec De Roces

So, you can definately ski past the gate at base of Incisa down to the Vizza and maserai chairs and then use either of them chairs. I done this several times earlier this year

AGree with Rcav re E-Bikes in ALta Badia. We hired them 2 years ago from Corvara. I just assumed they were the norm everywhere in the Alps!!

Regarding the rumours re Sodlisia chair and the new piste which was an old piste years ago. I think this piste was in the sector below Dantercepies and Jimmys hut. Im sure there was a diagram somewhere showing exactly where it was but i cant find it now.
The biggest complaint currently is that you have to ski down from top station of plans/Frara gondola to Val Setus chair, then up and ski down to the pass to get the chair up to Dantercepies
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You used to be able to ski from the top of Frara across to the Cir chair (bypassing the Setus) if you got up a bit of 'speed' ; over the past few years they have discouraged that by fencing/banking (safety concerns?)

------

"I'm sure it does not cover the lift from Campolongo pass up to Bec De Roces" --- Yep

"Costoratta chair up to just below Boe" -- again correct (not quite Boe as I said.. Wink )
snow conditions
Be nice if they replaced the Crep De Mont drag with a chair. Lovely blue run through the trees with a very long drag back up. I doubt it will ever happen as it's not a transit drag, it's for that run only.
snow report
A link from the bottom of Crep de Mont to the bottom of Pralongia I.
A ski-able crossing from the bottom of Cherz onto the Campolongo plan. snowHead
snow report
"A link from the bottom of Crep de Mont to the bottom of Pralongia I. .."

That is a right 'slog' : best way to do a link ? (re-site Crep drag ?)
snow conditions
The fact that they are replacing lifts, some of which are not yet 20 years old, with even higher capacity equipment, is an indication that skier growth has been greater than anticipated.

A Year round visitor economy must help, but it may also be that climate change is making the Dolomites an unexpectedly popular destination at the moment. Their necessity of having to make 100% of their snow and the suitability of that part of the alps for snowmaking, has ironically made it a reliable place for early season ski holidays. I wonder if we’ll see more UK travel operators going there ?
snow report
First trip to the Dolomites in Jan 2020 booked. Can't wait after everything I've seen and read about the area!
ski holidays
https://valgardena.panomax.com/seceda

Good to see them cutting the grass. Every little helps snowHead
ski holidays
Some news for the Dolomite resorts:

Val Gardena/Seiser Alm:

Work has begun on reopening of the Pilat slope from Seiser Alm down to Ortisei. This track will run from the top of the Ortisei-Seiser Alm Gondola and should open in 2021

Link below:

https://www.skiforum.it/skinews/751-ortisei-via-ai-lavori-pista-pilat.html

Arraba:

The current 4 seater Le Pale chairlift from Plan Boe up to Bec De Roces will be changing to a 8 seater chairlift. Cant determine if work will begin in 2020 or it will be finished in 2020? The bottom part of the slope leading to the chairlift entrance will also be adjusted slightly.

Link below:

https://www.skiforum.it/skinews/750-nuova-seggiovia-le-pale-arabba.html
snow conditions
While checking about the Le Pale lift, I came across this video -- the last basket lift in the Dolomite, looks scary !

http://youtube.com/v/SlGzeD8Qo8o
snow report
Is the coffin lift up the sasso lungo still running ? The lift is still there. Apparently it used to be open in winter but I suspect it is not reliable because there is no snow making there.

The Pilat got a bad write up in the old Good Ski guide, presumably because it was unreliable for natural snow and was a bit scary. No doubt this reconditioned run will make alpe de suisa more popular. Being north facing and in the trees it should be very good if they can sort the snow making. €10m just to refurbish one slope Shocked indicates the scale of investment across this ski area.

Should be a decent run at 2500 feet of vertical and 2.6 miles in length. Looks like the bottom of the run will come down this steep and grassy slope. https://www.instantstreetview.com/@46.570424,11.667754,194.36h,-7.56p,1.56z

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 3-09-19 22:09; edited 3 times in total
latest report
@Peter S, It is still there, but summer use only (there is a hut up there to serve the walkers)
snow report
Snow there today
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy