Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Tarentaise resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m musing about a trip next year for my family of 4 Aussies. My daughter is sooo into French ( she’s learning it at school) I thought it would be good to go to France so she can practise her skills.
It will likely be in late March or very early April. I understand this would not be everyone’s cup of tea but I would like a resort that is on a mountain but has easy vehicle actress (we would have a car) to ski nearby hills.
Which resort around Bourg St Maurice (Les Arcs, La Plagne, St Foy etc) has the easiest drive to the valley so we could get to Tignes/Val D along with the other big hills?
I understand it will require a drive of up to an hour of a morning.
All we require in the resort we stay in is a few restaurants and a bar that serves beer and some skiing just in case it’s a snow day and I don’t want to drive.
I’m guessing Sainte Foy? Is there accomodation around Villaroger?
Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might already be aware of this, but most of the resorts around there such as Les Arcs-La Plagne (Paradiski), Tignes-Val, La Rosiere-La Thuile are very big on their own. Paradiski is about the same size as every single resort in Australia put together, for example. So spending single days in such huge ski areas when there's enough skiing for a week or more in most of them already would be quite unusual (not least because of the cost).

But if you still do want to drive to multiple resorts... Bourg St Maurice itself is the easiest "resort" to stay in, if it counts: it's in the valley so easy drive to Val / Tignes etc. but there's also a direct funicular into the Les Arcs slopes (which also means you can ski across to La Plagne).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 6-04-19 23:22; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sbooker, I have so many questions resulting from your simple enquiry.

How long are you planning to stay? How important to you is visiting Val D/Tignes? Why do you think that a single resort will be insufficient? If Val D/Tignes are particularly important to you, then have you considered staying there?

Sainte Foy has better connections to Val D/Tignes than most but is pretty small itself. Villaroger does have a small amount of accommodation and a couple of restaurants, but has direct access to the Paradiski area.

If you're only staying for a week or so, then I would suggest Les Arcs - easy access and part of an enormous ski area (inc La Plagne) which will probably keep you happy on days you don't like getting in the car but with easy access to other areas if you wish. The access road is usually kept clear.

If you do get in the car, don't forget La Rosiere with its link to La Thuile in Italy. There's a chairlift which takes you up to the resort from a lowish level without you having to drive the whole way up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, yes you are correct Ste Foy is the answer , I have a house in the resort and ski safari week is in the kids Easter holidays, normally early April . Most Guides are based in Ste Foy for a reason . Ps from Ste Foy station , Les Arcs via Villaroger 15 mins , La Rosière/ Le Thuile 25 mins , Tignes/Val via les Brevieres 15 mins and Ste Foy 0 mins . Take your pick
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks.
We understand the size of the resorts in Europe as we were there in January this year. We skied La Thuile/La Rosiere from the Italian side.
I expect we’ll be there about a week before we moved to Chamonix for a few days. We are very keen to do the Vallee Blanch thing.

It’s a effort in both time and finances to get a family of four around the world. For that reason I can’t be sure we’ll ever get back to Europe. I would love to check out the big famous resorts. If we could jump on plane and be in Geneva or the like in an hour and a half we’d surely go on a skiing holiday to France/Italy/Austria every year and would be content to go to one resort for a week knowing we would check out another the following year.
@Rob Mackley,
St Foy it is then. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker, stayed at Tignes 3 times, St Foy 4 times (both with family and on “guys only” weeks). My head and heart says St Foy. Especially if you go during low season, you willl forget big name resorts very quickly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, for late March / early April you may want to restrict yourself to higher resorts. In some years snow cover below around 1800m could be thin/non-existent by then, and for a once-in-a-lifetime trip I don't think that is a risk worth taking. And once the snow goes / lifts stop, other facilities in the village tend to start closing down as well.

There is a reason why e.g. St Foy closes on 14 April (this year) but e.g. Tignes stays open until early May. And Villaroger is at only 1200m.

Clearly if you have a car (large enough to hold sksi etc) and are prepared to drive each day it is less of an issue, but in Europe this is more unusual - people mainly stay in the resort where they want to ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker, Talk to my mate Steve Nash at http://chalet-la-bas.com/ Great place to stay and easy access to the whole of the Tarrantaise, check out their Ski Safaris.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
panaga52 wrote:
@sbooker, Talk to my mate Steve Nash at http://chalet-la-bas.com/ Great place to stay and easy access to the whole of the Tarrantaise, check out their Ski Safaris.

That sounds fab.
Thanks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker, sorry, didn't realise it was you posting! I followed your reports and indeed have some advice at the time. So yes, ignore all the stuff I said about the size of the resorts since you'll know it already Smile

Going on your recent trip, it's clear that what wouldn't work for everyone worked very well for you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy