Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Christoph / St Anton etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick trip report. We had 6 days staying in St Christoph and had a great time. The weather was generally v good which makes a huge difference. This was our first visit to the area and here are some first impressions:

St Christoph - lovely little village with excellent access to some of the best skiing in the area. Snow conditions were far better here than in St Anton or Lech which were more affected by the sun. Still loads of snow on all the slopes and in the village. Hospiz Alm May be expensive but it’s a fab place and well worth a visit.

St Anton - the teenagers loved the apres at the Mooserwirt and especially partying with most of the England rugby team who were in town for a little bonding. Too many slopes are south facing for this time of year and we avoided skiing above St A as much as possible as it was just a sea of slush. Plenty of snow in the pistes but everything else is getting a bit bare. Not impressed by the town itself. It seems to achieve the difficult task of being simultaneously expensive and rather down market. Any style has long since gone. I’ve never understood the concept of somewhere being ‘too British’ .... until now. Didnt like St A much.

Lech - skied over there for a day. Looks pretty (both mountains and the town itself). Good lunch at the Rud Alp Gastronomie. Pretty slushy. If you are coming from St A or St C then it’s pribabky better to take the bus there and back. The ski route takes a long time.

All in all a v good week. Highlight was skiing down at the end of the day on an empty piste just seconds after it had been pisted.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am curious as to where you skied in St Christoph that you found better snow there than elsewhere. The back of the Galzig, ie the slope on which the St Christophbahn is located, pretty much faces into the sun and hence suffers from freeze-thaw.

Yeah, the back of Wirt faces close to north, and hence does not get that solar radiation, but it takes is a moderately challenging tour from Stuben to get onto it.

I agree with you about Lech. Almost everything faces south, or mainly south, except for north-facing side of Kreigerhorn and Langer Zug.

It is however April...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ulmerhutte, yep has missed the snow we enjoyed....notice he never mentions Rendl or Albona
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't really understand the review. St Christoph only has a couple of runs. And by too slushy do you mean totally isothermic such that all structure is list with puddles of water forming or just typical soft spring snow?

For all St Christoph may be a lovely village in the spring sun it's always struck me as having all the charm of an isolated moonbase for a winter storm week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, and Warth might have been a good bet. That said, I have never been in the Arlberg past early-March***, so limited knowledge on which to base talk about what’s best in April.

***Working on doing a season, but slowly, slowly with talking my Wife around to it. (Elderly parents, fear of not seeing them again, etc, etc)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
St.Christoph used to be a fairytale village up to 2000
They destroyed it with horrible architecture after that.
Same goes for St.Anton actually. Terrible mismatch of Faux Tiroler Kitsch (Hotel Neue Post used to be such a beautiful place) and poor postmodernism.
St.Anton used to be an elegant place. Then they started following/copying Ischgl...
As they say in Lech: ach ja, die Tiroler....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ulmerhutte, The runs directly under the Christophbahn (64) was soft in places but not too bad. A little further over 77 and 100 (for example) stayed much firmer. The runs above the Mooserwirt were very soft and unpleasant.

@Markymark29, We didn’t get to Rendl but I gather it was better than elsewhere. However, we would (I think) have needed to ski down much of the soft stuff to access the Rendlbahn lift and, given the limited time, chose to spend our time elsewhere.

@Dave of the Marmottes, ‘slush’, ‘isothermic’ , typical spring snow’, call it what you will. It was soft and mashed potato like and not much fun compared to the snow elsewhere.

@Langerzug, yes, I agree about some of the new architecture in St C. The Ski Austria buildings are awful.

I forgot to say that much of the best skiing/snow we had was above Zurs.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The runs down to St Anton will be slushier, they're lower down by several hundred meters, and the conditions have been exactly what you would expect for this time of year. There is only one run down to St C, and it does tend to get hammered by the sun. Shame you missed out on Rendl, it wouldn't take that long to get there and if you went there straight from St C in the morning, you'd be hitting perfect conditions down to St A. Likewise the runs around Stuben.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sitter, +1
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@foxtrotzulu, there’s more than enough north facing skiing on Rendl to keep you busy for days on end, we spend days up there and hardly ski a piste. Sorry to say it looks like you’ve skied pretty much all the south facing, snow melt places. It is April as noted above. If I could get some cheap flights we’d be there at Easter and I’m confident there’s be plenty good snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, Fully understand and agree about Rendl. If we’d had more time we would have tried it for sure.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy