Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Amphibo - just a novelty?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back for a trip to VT, not as slushy as I expected so switched my original fatter hire skis for something with more of an edge.
Elan Amphibo 84 Ti - Ski guy said there was a left and right, I didnt actualy listen to what he said about why as I assume these things are gimiky, and didnt think much of it, (great control etc as you should have on a ski of that level, but thought it may have had more to do with the difference to the much wider pair I was on before), until I got home and realised that I had zero aches and pains in legs and feet (which I usally do after a hard weeks skiing!)

Looked them up and there is some weird technology, again sounds gimiky, but makes sense and some good reviews.
Been meaning to get my own skis for several years now in end of season sales, but havent due to the usual reasons which people post about in this forum.

Anyone tried them / heard of them?!?!
From wikipedia - they have a strange backround - shodowy russian PE funded!

Input much appreciated before I before I bite the bullet! thanks in advance Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My OH tried the Amphibio 16 Ti2, which is a straight piste ski rather than an all mountain, on a ski test early last season while looking for new skis. He only tried them while he was waiting for the Dynastars he actually wanted to try, and also assumed they were a gimmick. After a couple of runs he was hooked, and immediately went and bought some. He is still as pleased with them as he was on the day he got them......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thumbs up from me too. I tried some a couple of years back and really liked them - they were 88mm underfoot I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Currently skiing some Ripstick 86’s which have this. Switched to them from Movement Icons (which were the worst skis I have ever skied - or else had a bad tune, who knows), and I absolutely love the Elans. No idea what the Amphibio part does but they are stable, quick edge to edge, happy to snowplow behind children or absolutely blast it down the Face. Taking them off piste for a lesson on Friday after the current snow so will report on off-post performance then, but so far very impressed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My race slalom Elans were Amphibios - no complaints (except my own abilities). Heard a lot of good reports over the years generally, and the idea's been around for a good while now, so not a pure gimmick, I guess.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all for your responses! Realise now that I accidentally posted in wrong category!
This may sound like a stupid question - and / or I need to do a second post....
I’m female, 62kg, but 178cm - so I often end up with men’s skis as there is little around the 170-173cm which I prefer when I hire.
Should I be looking for a female specific ski if I’m actually buying - or actually if I’m very happy with a men’s set I’ve tried out (and am used to men’s skis) just get on with it?
(I probs just need to get on with it.....)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skiface, if you're happy with men's skis and their weight, and can ski them well, then ski them. The only difference for women's skis usually, as far as I know, is softer flex (except for race, etc), 'pretty' graphics and colours, lighter weights and the bindings being mounted a bit further forward (which you can effectively change yourself on most, anyway, if you find the need). Might be worth demoing a few women's skis just to compare them, though: especially if you are thinking of buying.
I skied unisex Elan skis for years, and ski men's Scotts and Rossis now (though both without Ti, more to do with carrying weight than actual skiing).
BTW, not sure how true it still is, but Elan used to size up short compared to other makes - I skied 152 when others would be 155-158 without tip rocker addition (I'm 165 tall, around your weight): but I also like short/SL length piste skis anyway. I have the opposite problem to you in that I often want a man's ski but they don't make them short enough.

P.S. if you like the Amphibios, check out their top of range Elan ladies skis - very highly rated by many (especially in US). Not sure on lengths, though
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skiface wrote:
From wikipedia - they have a strange backround - shodowy russian PE funded!

You mean Elan has strange background? Seriously? One of oldest companies on world producing skis and being responsible for pretty much every single innovation on ski market in last 40 years including carving skis? Not to mention Stenmark was on Elan all his career winning every single of his 86 World cup victories on these skis Wink
Otherwise ownership was changed several times in past decade and is currently of process of being acquired by KJK Capital, not Russians but Finns, but I really doubt who owns shares of certain company makes skis better or worse Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Who cares if it is/isn't a gimmick? You skied them and you liked them. If you're looking to buy skis that experience should carry much more weight than any online review/other persons opinion.

Much the same with the men's/women's ski question. If it was the men's ski you skied and liked, why buy the women's skis and risk not liking it as much?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Reporting back on off-piste performance as promised; the Ripsticks I’d hired were only 86 underfoot, but still coped pretty well in the new snow in Tignes yesterday. They predictably lacked a bit of float in the deep wind-blown stuff (or maybe lacked driver-skill more Embarassed ) but were brilliant in shallower snow and the cut up areas. Also very easy to turn in tight spaces and couloirs.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Reporting back on off-piste performance as promised; the Ripsticks I’d hired were only 86 underfoot, but still coped pretty well in the new snow in Tignes yesterday. They predictably lacked a bit of float in the deep wind-blown stuff (or maybe lacked driver-skill more Embarassed ) but were brilliant in shallower snow and the cut up areas. Also very easy to turn in tight spaces and couloirs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My only concern with Amphibios (and any other asymmetrical, left-right sided ski) is that you'll end up having to service them more often.

When you trash an edge on a rock it's more often than not the inside edge of the downhill ski as that's the one with the most pressure on it. With symmetrical skis you can just swap them over so the trashed edge is on the uphill ski where it will make less difference and so get away with not servicing them for a few more days. With asymmetrical skis, if the trashed edge is the one you're relying on most you've really got no choice but to service them immediately. Annoying if you trash them on the first day after picking them up!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @swoafs for the report - hope you had a fab time in the fresh snow!
I'm keeping an eye on the end of season sales - and try and pick up pair - if they come up it was obviously meant to be!
And if not will take @Grizzler advice and try out the female ones next season!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy