Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA Off Piste - intro or advanced

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Guys, looking for some advice. Had some family issues this year meaning I missed my usual alps trip.

Thinking of doing UCPA off piste advance rather than intro to off piste in Tignes on 20th of April as a solo - buddies welcome!!

I’ve done a reasonable amount of side country stuff; here in Scotland, coire dubh, easy gully, spikes, Marion’s, briarach - coire lochan gullies. Touring some of the glenshee gullies including banana couloir etc.

Enjoyed Mt Gele in Verbier and quite a few life accessed descents in Tignes, Le Fornet, Orelle and a few others

I’ve not really done trees and I’m not a fan of moguls. Do you think the advanced course (not expert) is beyond me?

Sorry for the rambling post.......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowscot, I reckon you'll be ok in the advanced, but then I've never seen you ski, and all groups are different!

I did an Intro a few years ago and there were 2 or 3 very slow skiers in it. Last year in Val d'Isere the guide told me that I could do the expert group next time, and I'm by no means an expert!

UCPA is great, but I don't think the standard of skier is overly high - at least the 4 times I've been I've always been higher up the skier ability range than I'd expect.

If you do end up out of your depth they're pretty good at moving you to where you should be, so I'd just go for it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe you will be ok in advanced. Sounds like you don’t need intro. Ucpa courses levels are not quite precise and generally generous meaning that what they call expert looks more like advanced and so on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve done the offpiste intro twice in Val d Isere. First time I really didn’t get on with the skis, and I was the muppet in the group. The next year I took my own skis and the guide said I can join an advanced group next time. Both times it was French people in the group, and me, with a mix and some slower skiers. I think you’ll be ok in the advanced group.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I echo @Gustavobs statement, you'll be fine in advanced. If you really struggle you can always drop a group, but given your description I highly doubt it.......besides it's better to be one of the weaker ones in the group as opposed to the best, you'll certainly learn more!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't really comment on the off piste level (though you don't sound like you should be in intro) but...
On the buddie front, you could always do the EosB instead. If you really want to do some instruction, book into some of the clinics/guiding available.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you'd find intro too low level. I wouldn't worry about trees, they are pretty sparse in Tignes. Moguls, I doubt you'll be hotdogging although I did a run with the lad on Sunday that was 800 vertical meters of moguls with nowhere to bail. Moguls everywhere at the moment on the steeper pitches.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did the 'advanced' in Chamonix thinking it would be pretty full on and it ended up being pretty dull because the lowest level skier had to be catered for and they really hadn't done much off piste before (if any) - completely depends on the group you end up with, but fair play to the instructor, he did nothing to put her out of her comfort/safety zone, just a bit boring for the rest of us!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy