Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge angles kids skis and boards.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been servicing my board and my wife's ski's for years now. She is on Atomics with 87 degree side edge, I've had my board on an 87 side for some years now.

For the first time this season I purchased kit the kids.

The eldest snowboard is on a K2 vandal. I'm assuming like most other boards that will have an 1 deg base and 1 deg side, so i'll need to use the 89 degree guide for the sides.

My youngest is on Fischer Stunner SLR2 131 kids skis but I can't seem to find edge data for them. Adult Fisher skis I think (having looked it up on Spyderjons helpful page Happy are factory set at 87 degree side, so I assumed the stunners would be the same, but the shop seemed to think as they are kids skis they'd be 1 degree/ie. 89 edges.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gazzza, cant answer for the Fischer’s but certainly the Salamons I got for my youngest I was expected 2 degrees based Spyderjons site but when I started using the 88 degree edge tool realised they were 89. So came to the conclusion they are obviously different on kids skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @NickyJ.

Interestingly K2 have just replied to say the vandal has a 2 degree side bevel (and 1 degree base). Good job I checked as I'd assumed it was 1 and 1.

Fischer still haven't replied about the Stunners.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gazzza, ...I always do a big internet dig to find the sheets....but in the case of uncertain intel I just mark the entire edge with a black marker and then do a first file with the angle I think it is, and adjust if the impact on the marked edge is not what it should be....there you go....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have one of those 30 quid USB microscopes, I find that a really effective way of checking the effect of a file on the edge. I've used it a few times to check angles and the effect of my filing, and it's a bit depressing how much of the wear is on the base edge rather than side edge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2 wrote:
@Gazzza, ...I always do a big internet dig to find the sheets....but in the case of uncertain intel I just mark the entire edge with a black marker and then do a first file with the angle I think it is, and adjust if the impact on the marked edge is not what it should be....there you go....

The ones I was expecting to be 88 but were 89, were second hand and had a lot of rust on the edges, which saved me having to use a marker pen Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, excellent ... that’s the way to do it ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2 wrote:
@NickyJ, excellent ... that’s the way to do it ...

They came up great Happy I asked my daughter how they were... apparently they felt like skis. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gazzza, does it matter what the factory settings are?

I do all ski's and boards for me, the missus and the kids at 87.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all.

Both myn and my wifes are 87. I guess the kids got on well with theirs as they were, so I figured if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I guess I could just tune them all to 87 and see how they get on.

Re. the marker pen checking, which file do you use to check - one of the less course diamond files I assume ?
I assume you don't want your course steel file in for the purposes of a checking pass ? Is it blindingly obvious after the first pass of the file if they are out ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all.

Both myn and my wifes are 87. I guess the kids got on well with theirs as they were, so I figured if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I guess I could just tune them all to 87 and see how they get on.

Re. the marker pen checking, which file do you use to check - one of the less course diamond files I assume ?
I assume you don't want your course steel file in for the purposes of a checking pass ? Is it blindingly obvious after the first pass of the file if they are out ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gazzza wrote:
.....I guess I could just tune them all to 87 and see how they get on......

This^.

Gazzza wrote:
.....Re. the marker pen checking, which file do you use to check - one of the less course diamond files I assume ?......

Yep, a medium to fine diamond file is perfect.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @spyderjon,

Moving form 89 or 88 to 87 side, how many passes of the coarse steel file do you typically do before I go through the diamond file passes ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy