Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late opening supermarket near Geneva airport on way to Valais

Poster: A snowHead
What it says in the header really arriving at near 6pm tomorrow , need to get provisions for first night and breakfast, preferably with a bottle of wine which Migros in the airport won't have,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you are driving you should be able to make it to the LIDL on the french side. literally just by the border in Ferney-Voltaire
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there's a big co-op in martingny just as you come out and we usually go there. there is also a migros in verbier, down at the bottom by le chable.
you should be ok on a saturday but remember they all shut early on sundays.

remember if you do go to the french side and then into switzerland, sometimes the swiss police do border checks to look for 'imported food' that needs to pay import tax (i think this is mainly large amounts of meat) but be warned.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@T Bar, very few supermarkets in Switzerland open past 8pm - as far as I know, only those at airports, train stations and petrol stations. I don’t think anywhere in a Valais resort would still be open by the time you get there if you are landing at Geneva at 6pm. As already mentioned there are several options in Ferney-Voltaire in France if you go that way though it will add a fair bit of time and watch the import limits (1kg meat pp, also alcohol). Alternatively the Migros in the airport is pretty convenient and I think you can buy the wine elsewhere in the airport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a Migros at Geneva Airport railway station which is open until 2200 i believe (do a google check). You come out of the arrivals door, turn left and keep walking until you reach the far end of the station. One of you could go and do a bit of a supermarket sweep for essentials. There is also a nearby Nicolas for wine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
What it says in the header really arriving at near 6pm tomorrow , need to get provisions for first night and breakfast, preferably with a bottle of wine which Migros in the airport won't have,

Where in the Valais? We stop at the Coop petrol station at Sembrancher which is open late for provisions including wine. There is also the shop at The Grand St Bernard service station which is open on Sundays and (I assume) late.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all
@BobinCH,
I'm off to Nendaz arriving saturday, Sembrancher isn't really on the way.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The easiest solution is the Co-Op motorway services about 40km en-route from Geneva.
It has the basics for a late self made pasta or pizza meal, and all the stuff you need for breakfast.
If wine is so vital why not just buy a bottle in the duty free at the airport
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
Thanks all
@BobinCH,
I'm off to Nendaz arriving saturday, Sembrancher isn't really on the way.

So what @rungsp says. Coop service station same price as the supermarket for most items. Open late and Sundays.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again
Are the motorway services likely to have fresh milk?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
EdnaTomkins wrote:
There is a Migros at Geneva Airport railway station which is open until 2200 i believe (do a google check). You come out of the arrivals door, turn left and keep walking until you reach the far end of the station. One of you could go and do a bit of a supermarket sweep for essentials. There is also a nearby Nicolas for wine.

This is what we always do, and yes it is open until 10pm. No need to make it any more difficult than that is there?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Geneva airport Migros open til 10pm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
Thanks again
Are the motorway services likely to have fresh milk?

Coop does. Some of the others only UHT. Migros does but no booze
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unlike France where differential pricing is rife, in Switzerland it is the policy of the supermarkets to charge the same price for the same item in all of their shops.

There is zero advantage to shopping down in the valley...except perhaps choice in a huge versus merely big, store. The prices are the same.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm out Sunday so this is useful - can someone go and get the hire car and drive around to the Mignos (assuming it has a car park???)
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
Unlike France where differential pricing is rife, in Switzerland it is the policy of the supermarkets to charge the same price for the same item in all of their shops.

There is zero advantage to shopping down in the valley...except perhaps choice in a huge versus merely big, store. The prices are the same.

Always wondered why the Migros at GVA wasn't milking it a bit more, now I know.
ski holidays
I don't think the service station prices are the same as the big venues - certainly the St Bernard Shop is punitive for milk and breakfast cheese & ham.

Argh 6pm arrival - we shop at the Aubonne Co-op but that's open to 21:00 tonight and only 19:00 tomorrow so you will miss that. OK...best suggestion remains the Migro right at the end of the airport, past the Railway station. Take big bags and you can shop and then get the bags to the hire car in P51.

You will get to the St Bernard shop at around 22:30 - by that point they will be out of bread, out of fresh milk, and starting to clear up. Yep, the Geneva Migro is by far the easiest....we've shopped there for the following days' breakfast a gazillion times.....
latest report
There’s a Nicholas wine and beer store near to Migros at the airport train station which is open until 8pm
latest report
taffvalais wrote:
There’s a Nicholas wine and beer store near to Migros at the airport train station which is open until 8pm

http://www.aageneva.org/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy