Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the furthest you have had to travel with a snowsport related injury ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have only had to come back from the Alps with an injury, TG.

Anybody crossed the Atlantic with a fracture ?.....on an indirect flight ?

Or maybe from further afield - New Zealand etc . ?

If yes, how was it for you ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Latchigo, Flew with a bad hangover once. C'mon then tell us the story. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The drive from VT to Oxon with a broken collarbone was quite grim last year. Natch I was not driving Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A doctor told me he once dealt with a man who had driven back from the alps with a broken neck, apparently the man had crashed on the piste on his final day but decided not to go to hospital for a checkup and drove home the next day, when he got home his neck was giving him some pain so he went to his doctor who realising that it could be serious sent him to hospital for some checks, when they x-rayed his neck they found that I think it was the 4th or 5th vertebrae was cracked right through, all it would have taken was a sharp movement or a sudden stop for the two parts of the bone to sepparate which would have either killed him or left him as a quadraplegic. Talk about lucky, that chap should have done the lottery Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drove home from Vallandry with a broken coccyx . . . not as painful as taking a dump with it though Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Latchigo, Flew with a bad hangover once. C'mon then tell us the story. Very Happy

No big story from me -just a fracture in Megeve and flight back. French doctors did suggest an operation, but Epsom hospital said physiotherapy was all that was required.

With more people travelled to North America there must be some real horror stories involving twelve hour flights and changing planes in Cincinnati.

Cue WTFH to say, one of the advantages of US skiing is that ski injuries never occur. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Worst I've ever had was coaching it back from Italy. Not too bad though, as I'd only slightly aggravated my quads and ACL (the ACL is loose, leading to bad knee and extra strain on the quads). One of my mates had to fly back from Amsterdam after smashing his ankle in a rugby match - morale of the story: never fly with a plaster cast on, due to the pressure changes, his ankle expanded considerably, but the cast didn't. Ouch! Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I damaged my right medial knee ligament on the day before I had to drive SP and I back from Villaroger ( Christmas Eve 2004 ). It was okay once I had assumed the driving position but absolute murder getting out and back into the car for refuling, rests etc.

Also, many moons ago, I dislocated my shoulder ( and put in back in myself ) and broke two ribs at Arc 1800 on the last day of a holiday and had to drive back home the next morning. Good job a) I had dislocated it before and b) home was just outside Geneva at the time.

Just occured to me that there is a strange synergy between these events as they were both last day and both times I was staying with Optimum at Villaroger. Worryingly SP and I are going back there in 2 weeks time - watch this space Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skisimon, the crew didn't check before allowing him to fly that the cast had been split? Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4 weeks ago I had to endure a trans atlantic flight on Zoom airways. My insurance company booked me 3 seats so I could sit side ways with my leg elevated. The splint I was wearing meant my leg was locked straight due to a Tibial spine fracture (ACL torn away from the bone with a bone fragment still attached to it)

They offered me a Business class flight from Calgary to Chicago connection to Heathrow and then on to Manchester total time 26 hours if no delays they said there were no direct flights with space. I told them about the Zoom flight I had even pre reserved seats if they weren't going to bring me home before the end of my holiday. I was only on day 4 out of 14 when I hurt my knee.

I'm sure business class would have been more comfortable but I just wanted to get home and couldn't face 26 hours of flying.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Russell,

26 Hours of flying ! Shocked I do not blame you for wanting to avoid that. The extra comfort, if any, would be negated by all the extra changes that were required.

Hope the recovery is going well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A few years back we had to fly back from Montreal with my 6 year old daughter in a half cast after she broke her leg on the last day. The medical centre in Tremblant was excellant as were the airport staff and cabin crew. Victoria enjoyed the flight as they kept her supplied with sweets!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deux Alpes to Grenoble for operation on broken elbow and back again by ambulance, then to Lyon then Gatwick then North London....with a broken coccyx to keep my mind of my dangling arm. I did fly Business Class with BA though
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs FTS had her first taste of driving on the right when I sufferred a prolapsed disc and trapped nerve whilst on a camping holiday in The Dordogne 2.5 yrs ago. From the back going to the drive home was a 5 day gap. No snow involved whatsoever but it was quite hideously painful. I did it end July and was only just fit for a ski holiday the folowing January (see got some snow in somehow). By the January my right quad musccle had shrunk by 2 inches (circumferance) due to the nerve damage. Quite bizzare.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I came back from Salt Lake City with a badly sprained credit card Sad
ski holidays
Quote:

badly sprained credit card

Didnt we all rolling eyes
(insurance has just paid up in full including the missed Epic days Very Happy )
snow report
I travelled up from SLC to Snowbird with severe ear ache several times Wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, that's what you get for singing to yourself!
snow conditions
David@traxvax, No that was due to Spyderjon singing in the car with him rolling eyes
ski holidays
Linds, did I tell you about my singing instructor... Laughing ?
snow conditions
... who rarely falls over
snow report
David Goldsmith, he fell flat one day. And sometimes he is a bit sharp at the edges...
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, noted.
snow conditions
I crossed the Atlantic with a broken Fibula - from Calgary to Heathrow. Then travelled home by bus. I did not know that I had a broken bone, though, until I contacted my doctor back home with a swollen ankle that would not go down. The doc at Fernie had not diagnosed anything broken. I could not ski - though I struggled into boots and tried to some days after the injury.
snow report
I fractured my pelvis at Sunday River a few years ago. The next day I was driven in a friends sportscar back to New York where I then had to fly back to Gatwick. Lots of narcotics got me through but since then I've stuck to resorts within 90 minutes of Geneva.
latest report
This is not the thread to read when you are only 2 days away from driving nearly 800 miles to go skiing Shocked
ski holidays
a mate of mine had to fly from Zurich to Brisbane (not sure of the stopover / changes) last year with the fibila cracked just below the knee and a spiral break of the tibula just above the ankle (which required several pieces of steel to keep it together) !!! Crying or Very sad

The insurance paid for him to go business which was nice.

Oh course he was plied full of drugs from the hospital and figured he couldln't drink. When he got home he checked out the drugs and found that it would not have mattered at all if he drank all the way home.

Man was he peed off over that Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy