Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Returning to the slopes after major knee injury

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, over the New Year I smashed my tibia plateau and courtesy of a Chamonix surgeon am now sporting the ultimate in knobbly knee via a plate and 6 screws! Unfortunately the surgeon was very clear that I would never ski again and would need a replacement knee within 1 to 3 years. Luckily the British surgeon hasn't yet ruled out skiing and my physio is adamant that its all in the mind and a matter of deciding to return - which I've decided. However I know I will be nervous/frightened which in turn will make me far more wobblySusceptible to falling.

Anyone else faced this and have any good tips on how to get around this asap. Remember I'm still non-weight bearing so the earliest I will be on the piste will be next season.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Wills, bad luck..loads of us on here have done it and returned to ski. If you can be bothered to do a search I did a little blog in Apres ...April 2013. I returned to ski in November 2013. It's all about the physio...5 times a week in the gym for me for months as soon as I was weight bearing

I had a couple of private lessons to get my confidence up...that said though I didn't do mine skiing.

I am 58 and nowhere near needing a knee replacement but if I don't keep up the gym then it all goes a bit pear shaped.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx OK, and I'm happy with the gym etc and am doing stuff daily simply to keep some of my leg muscle, but I'm only really an intermediate - I had just had a private the day before to improve my mogul skiing (of which I'm frightened and am therefore totally unsteady and crap - but also not where accident happen which was a plain red!). So until this year we've only ever gone for 1 week for the last 5 years. I'm so frustrated that by the accident!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Wills, different injury to n my knee but I also had my surgeon tell me I couldn’t return to skiing but the physio said yes I could and that was why I was doing the rehab.

Again look at my threads on this part of the forum.

I would also look at the Ski Mojo. That is also my hope for the if my knees get worse. However right now as long as I keep my quads etc strong, and use a hinged knee brace I am skiing comfortably (and use of paracetamol even using chairlifts comfortably)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, oooooh, I hadn't thought of chairlifts and you're so right! So ok, going off to look at yours and @holidayloverxx, threads. thank you both.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gosh it was almost 6 yrs ago

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98989
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2273161&highlight=snowhead#2273161
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a knee injury (two fractures, one because l was not informed that l had lost my ACL). I had a reconstruction and hit the gym. I was 62. When back on skis l had a private lesson with an instructor who knew my history. He started me on snowploughs and we progressed from there. I felt safe and in control. Now l am back to skiing without a thought. It took a while though. Good luck. I am probably one of a few people who in the past has gone INTO a resort on crutches
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Wills, bad luck, all the best and fingers crossed that you can get back on skis again; many here have.
The only advice I can offer, when you're ready, is to head to somewhere quiet (slope wise) with lots of chairlifts or gondolas (not drags) and find a very nice instructor(ess) who will help you regain your confidence and technique so that you minimise your exposure to further injury or unnecessary strain and get your happy head back on asap. Good luck.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@margaret, so I'm approaching 50 and hearing about your recovery is great at 62! Im definitely a late bloomer. Skiing started 5 years ago, windsurfing 8 years ago etc. Thanks margaret.

@Grizzler, that was what I was thinking of doing. Unfortunately the family's holidays are restricted to school holidays! Its NEVER quiet at that point! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Wills, same here, some places are definitely better than others, and instructors have a knack for avoiding crowds Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Wills

Hope you’re not going too stir crazy with the nwb...

I had the same injury 1st day of last season, and whilst each break I guess is unique to each patient, to say you’ll ‘never ski again’ seems conservative to the extreme.

My doc told me to find a different career (I instruct) but this season has been absolutely fine.

Best advice - from my physio and many other instructors with knee injuries- was to cycle, cycle, cycle. I was also covered by work insurance so had physio for a few months.

It’s good to do leg lifts to keep a bit of muscle tone whilst immobile, I wish I had. My quads are still a bit on the skinny side.

Best of luck and pm me if you have any questions,

EJ
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You might be interested in taking up snow shoeing to complement your skiing. We gave this a go a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it - now we don't bother skiing if the weather is bad: we'll just don the snow shoes and go out into the forest for a walk. This takes the pressure off skiing every day just to justify the skipass cost and avoids skiing in difficult conditions. Of course, it doesn't eliminate risk, but in retrospect, I now realise that we often found ourselves skiing in dodgy and not very rewarding conditions just because the alternative was doing nothing. And snowshoeing is very good exercise, but more steady and predictable than skiing. Also, we've started to snow shoe at the Weekends, when the nutters appear and the slopes are crowded, opting to ski on the quieter weekdays. We now reserve going out on the slopes for days when the conditions are optimal.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy