Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Noooooo - hurt my knee

Poster: A snowHead
I was at hockey training this evening I stopped and started to change direction and I felt my weight come down at what felt a couple of mm outside of where it should have. I could literally feel something stretching in my knee which really shouldn't.

The good news is no popping noise, no snapping feeling, and it doesn't feel unstable like it did when I ruptured my ACL.

The bad news is it hurts quite a lot mainly on the inside side of my knee.

I am due to go skiing on the 14th April.

I know we have some good resident experience here please give me reassurance that with rest it will heal quickly and without intervention. Is it worth seeing a phsyio tomorrow or letting it rest for a while and seeing on on Monday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ,

Hi Nicky

Keys points:
i) how quickly did it swell? If the knee swelled up within an hour or so you have almost certainly got blood in the knee, if so 80 odd percentage chance it is your ACL. It doesn't have to pop and doesn't have to give way.

ii) if not swollen that quickly , and tender on the inner side then statistically much more likely the MCL ( medial collateral ligament).
A good physio will be able to diagnose but they can be difficult to grade, and there is always the confusing fact that practitioners always worry that the meniscus is torn.
A grade I injury might just make skiing Mid April but much more likely with good physio from the outset.
Grade II or III will not be ready.

As always the key to getting this right is an accurate, early diagnosis. The examination is more important than a scan but when a scan combined with good examination the prognosis can be more accurately predicted.
Pm if you want more details.
Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Jonathon. I have no swelling and yes tender on the inside of the knee. Having just got up in the morning it is so sore I can barely walk, I am going to have to bet hubby to fetch my crutches down from the loft - the ones I kept just in case I would need them again, in the hope that will mean I wouldn't. Sad

I will see if I can get a Physio appointment for today or tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I found some descriptions on the different and MCL injury and I am hopeful it is just a grade 1 injury.

I have a Physio appointment for today at 14:40.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ, when you say inside, do you mean inside the knee or the side of the knee facing the other knee? Jonathan Bell is the expert. I have seen 3 ACL ruptures in the past 2 years that were caused by simple side-stepping (feigning one way, then moving the other way), no contact whatsoever. In all cases the knee swelled hugely straight away.

If you see a doctor then don't forget to tell your insurers. Good luck
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
NickyJ, when you say inside, do you mean inside the knee or the side of the knee facing the other knee? Jonathan Bell is the expert. I have seen 3 ACL ruptures in the past 2 years that were caused by simple side-stepping (feigning one way, then moving the other way), no contact whatsoever. In all cases the knee swelled hugely straight away.

If you see a doctor then don't forget to tell your insurers. Good luck

Having previously ruptured my ACL (on that same knee) I am sure it isn't. Reading up on the MCL injury it sounds correct.

Is that travel insurance? I had t realised that was a requirement. It takes so long to get a Gp appointment and I know they will just send me away for 2 weeks, then refer to consultant by which point it will be afte my holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ, a pre existing injury must be declared prior to your trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ, a pre existing injury must be declared prior to your trip.

In all seriousness is there a definition of a "pre existing injury"?? does a minor tear/strain or a bruise from a hockey ball on the heel count?? Both have happened to me before skiing hols and I didn't declare them!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, I suspect that it is declarable if a medical record exists.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I haven't in the past either last time I went skiing I was 2/3 months post op after medial meniscus surgery I was giving the OK to ski by both consultant and Physio. I didn't contact them as I didn't need to make a claim. Once I know more I will call them and ask.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good luck NickyJ.

I hurt my knee 4 weeks ago and got some good advice at http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97804&highlight=

I wouldn't be able to ski now, but my MCL injury was at least a 2, possibly 3. There might also be ACL or meniscus damage too.

However, good physio is definitely helping me get back to moving around again, if not normality. Can you remember the exercises you used when you did the ACL? It might be worth starting with these as soon as your knee lets you.

My insurance definitely said we had to inform them about pre-existing conditions. OH is asthmatic, so we always check this. The real problem would be if you didn't inform them, you skiied and hurt your knee further, and they refused to pay outbecause it was a condition you hadn't told them about.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ, sorry to hear about your knee - fingers crossed it turns out to be a mild strain... at least you know it feels nothing like your ACL rupture, which is good news.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

The medial collateral ligament is on the inner side, the ACL right in the middle of the knee.
The MCL is very frequently injured in skiers. In my experience they tend to either be grade I or grade III ( grade III are combined with ACL) Oddly enough skiers seem not to get as many grade II' s as other sports, mainly because the grade III' s are more common.

The majority of ACL ruptures are non contact. The most frequent contact injury , when skiing, is whilst getting off a chair lift:where the person next to you falls across your skis. That's why I think that five metres stretch is the most dangerous place on the mountain, just pipping the home run at the end of the day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonathan Bell, that's how I did my ACL, a silly fall on the last run on the last day. The main consolation was it didn't spoil he holiday.

What about hockey playing (in terms of different grades)

I saw the Physio yesterday, there is hope I wil be able to ski come mid April, but they can't tell more until next week. Early indications are that the ACL is still intact (I am also quite sure if that as I know how it felt without one).

I am keeping my fingers crossed and following her advice.

Thanks for the support all, it is really appreciated.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good luck NickyJ, fingers crossed for April.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
Jonathan Bell, that's how I did my ACL, a silly fall on the last run on the last day. The main consolation was it didn't spoil he holiday.

What about hockey playing (in terms of different grades).

Most hockey induced ACLs will be non contact. There is some evidence you can
reduce risk by training certain moves: stopping suddenly, cutting and rounding
past another player. Commonest MCL will be I, grade III less frequent than skiing.
snow conditions
Jonathan Bell wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

What about hockey playing (in terms of different grades).

Most hockey induced ACLs will be non contact. There is some evidence you can
reduce risk by training certain moves: stopping suddenly, cutting and rounding
past another player. Commonest MCL will be I, grade III less frequent than skiing.

Thanks so much for you input it is really appreciated. I was AT training but unusually we had just gone straight into a 4ths v 5ths match as it was so cold and there were a lot less than normal.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, thanks. Looks like yet another ski holiday I will strapped up and on the drugs.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Richard_Sideways, thanks. Looks like yet another ski holiday I will strapped up and on the drugs.
Sad Sad Hope it isn't as bad as it could be and that you recover quickly enough to be able to ski.
snow report
Now the pain / injury is localising the Physio thinks that the MCL is probably OK as it does of hurt further up the ligament. She thinks it may just be the cartelage. I am still praying that by 4 weeks today I will be able to ski.
ski holidays
Good luck!
latest report
Just had my last phsyio session. She is really pleased with progress and says it is healing nicely. Need to keep up my exercises but no reason I shouldn't be skiing when I go in 10days time as long as I wear my knee support and take it easy.

I am really pleased and relieved.
snow report
NickyJ, good news. Hope it goes well. snowHead
latest report
NickyJ, excellent news
latest report
A quick update for anybody who is interested. I am on day 4 of my holiday and I am able to ski on mornings OK, I am finding that not long after lunch (even topping up with more ibuprofen at lunchtime) I find it it starting to really hurt so i am calling it a day then. During the morning I am able to ski pain free, which is great so I am sure some of it will be where I have lost muscle strength, despite all the straight legs exercises etc I have been doing.

Still as I keep reminding myself I was on crutches a month ago and I am grateful for the skiing I CAN do as opposed to being upset by the skiing I can't do.
ski holidays
At least you can take advantage of the hotel upgrade in the afternoons then NickyJ!
ski holidays
NickyJ, Mornings are best at this time of year anyway! Great that you are skiing, and enjoy those long leisurely lunches!
ski holidays
NickyJ, Mornings are best at this time of year anyway! Great that you are skiing, and enjoy those long leisurely lunches!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ,
The body is a fantastic bit if kit! Great to hear the knee settled to allow you to ski😄
ski holidays
Really pleased to hear it is going well.
ski holidays
Yep well I thought it was all settled I have going to the gym over the summer - and it had been feeling absolutely fine. First hockey training session tonight did the warmup, then we did relay races again felt fine. Last relay race slowing down to stop after sprintig and it just "went". I am In agony, I can put no weight through it at all and can't straighten or bend it. I had to get a lift home and the lady who did that then took hubby back to collect the car. I can only guess it hadn't heeled as well as I thought Sad
snow conditions
NickyJ, Sad Sad Sad Sad You must be really fed up. Very sorry to hear that.
ski holidays
pam w, yes, completely fustrated to say the least! I love playing hockey almost as much as I love skiing. You would think the fact that I am 1.5stone lighter than I was last October would have really reduced my likelihood of hurting my knee as well wouldn't you.
ski holidays
NickyJ, what a bummer! So sorry. Sad
ski holidays
NickyJ, Nooooo! what a blow. Hope it calms down and is not too serious
snow conditions
NickyJ, hope it calms down soon for you.
snow report
I was in agony all night - going to A&E in a minute
snow report
NickyJ, poor you, Sad I hope you get it sorted.
snow conditions
NickyJ, That's a bummer but possibly better that it has flared up rather than you struggling on with a weakness.
latest report
That sucks. Hope you get on ok at the quacks - ask for a massive cake made of drugs and a knee 2.0
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy