Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old K2 models

Poster: A snowHead
I tried out a lovely pair of K2 's in Davos in early 2003, when there was a good dump, and absolutely loved them.
They were really smooth in the powder, carved nicely on the harder stuff and even when the off piste was skied out after a couple of days they still went well in the crudy stuff.

The guy in the shop dug them out of the cellar when he saw my Volkl P30s (not suitable for powder in his opinion) and described how these K2's were soft at the front (good for powder and crud) but stiff at the back so you could still carve them well on piste.

They were 2 or 3 seasons old at the time (but hardly used) and I tried to buy them but they wanted 75% of the new price so I thought I'd buy a new pair back home only to find that K2 no longer made that model. They had quite a memorable name (which I have since forgotten!!).

I was just wondering if any of you K2 buffs might have an idea which model they were and what the equivalent model now is?
(or a list of old K2 models circa 2001 might help jog my memory)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mod X? Axis? Or have a look here and see if any of the names sound familiar.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RichA, My 181 Axis X Pros (one careful male owner) could be all yours for not a lot o.n.o. Fab ski, does everything you describe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RichA, What colour were they?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RichA, let's see how far back my memory goes (in no particular order)
Black Magic (black with red and blue)
Four (white with red and blue)
Patriot (white with red and blue)
Merlin (black with yellow/red)
Mod 7/8 (red with a big lump running up the middle)
Mod X (Red with a big lump running up the middle)
Mod X Prod (yellow, I think, with a big lump running up the middle)
Axis X (Yellow/silver don't think it had a big lump)
Axis X Pro (Yellow/silver with a big lump running up the middle)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Escape Series were from about that time too:
Escape 5500 (red, black, yellow and silver) and 4500 (yellow, black and silver)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okanagan, I didn't think the Escapes came out until 2003, but I could be wrong.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Mod X Prod (yellow, I think, with a big lump running up the middle)

Was that one the Johnny Adair special edition????
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Numb, Laughing well spotted. No, his version was orange, not yellow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
X15 sounds about the right vintage and was that sort of ski - ISTR it was replaced by the Mod X.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Okanagan, I didn't think the Escapes came out until 2003, but I could be wrong.

Nope - definately 2001/2
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okanagan, I stand corrected - it felt like they were more recent.
latest report
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Axis X (Yellow/silver don't think it had a big lump)

Wear The Fox Hat, my Axis-X are red with a big lump up the middle.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can someone help me. The best skis I've owned were I think K2 Velocitys. They've been sitting in a garage back home in NZ since 95.

They are white with red writing (k2 written 3 times on tip) with a black plate that the binding mounted (screwed) on. Black bases.

Am I correct in thinking they are velocities or am I going mad. I had them for a good 3-4 years so am guessing they came out about 1990?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kiwi1 wrote:
Can someone help me. The best skis I've owned were I think K2 Velocitys. They've been sitting in a garage back home in NZ since 95.

They are white with red writing (k2 written 3 times on tip) with a black plate that the binding mounted (screwed) on. Black bases.

Am I correct in thinking they are velocities or am I going mad. I had them for a good 3-4 years so am guessing they came out about 1990?

My memory of them was that they were one of the first skis K2 made with a bigger sidecut (10mm ?).

I only remember them from the catalogues, I don't own a pair.
snow conditions
Saw some yellow Axis's today

Wear The Fox Hat, The Merlin was a super ski in it's day I think I skied Merlin V which was black and red and was followed by Merlin VI at black and yellow (mostly)... Very Happy
latest report
rjs, Yep they have got a 10mm sidecut. They were (are) excellent but have just been collecting dust back home. Think the MSLs replaced them which I heard were just as good.
snow conditions
easiski, yeah, the Merlins were a very good ski, although they were a bit beyond my ability at the time
snow report
Seeing as you're talking about K2's - I've got a pair of 183cm X14's, which I nabbed off the internet for some trifling amount. I really like them, easiski despises them. wink They go fast in a straight line, but in tight spots they turn like the Exxon Valdez. Anyway, never mind the rights and wrongs of them, I'd just be interested to know what sort of vintage they are.
Bearing in mind I'm systematically knackering them with every ill-starred adventure over submerged rocks in marginal conditions, I may soon be in the market for some new ones.
I weigh: 11st 10lbs
I am: 5'10''
I would like: an all-mountain, go anywhere ski which is equally effective on piste and in powder/porridge/crud etc. Not too fussed about fat skis - have done ok in powder on the x14's.
Any advice gratefully received! snowHead
snow conditions
paulmck, you sound like a good case for Karmas or Public Enemies, probably around a 175-180 length.
snow report
Oh, and I THINK the X14 was from around 1996/97 (but as has been seen in this thread, my memory isn't that hot)
snow report
X14 was still around in 2001 according to this link which was given earlier in the thread.
snow report
paulmck, I don't despise them - I just think you should get more up to date skis and leave those in the UK for Lake District skiing!!! wink wink wink
latest report
RobW, X14 was replaced in 2000/2001 by the Axis. Should the X14 be on the top 10 list? Puzzled
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, no, but the Merlins maybe should (or the original Escapes)
snow conditions
paulmck,

Try the Stockli XL if you want a ski that is as good on hardpack/ice as it is in deeper stuff.
Others may boast they do this well - maybe they do... but the XL definitely does it
ski holidays
In fact i think we're talking about the X15? Little Angel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Paul's skis are X 14s (early parabolics). Deffo not carvers. Shock
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Red? Little Angel
snow report
One of the guys at work just bought a pair of Apache's his mates girlfriend asked if he had been getting some ski lessons and he replied - nope first new pair of ski's in 20 years.

He never had the old ones serviced.................... Confused
snow conditions
Okanagan wrote:
Mod X? Axis? Or have a look here and see if any of the names sound familiar.

sorry started this post and then forgot all about it

Mod X sounds vaguely familiar ... anybody got any idea what the equivalent latest model is ??
ski holidays
RichA, it will be one of the Apache series.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Honestly can't remember - but he has them with him so if he says that's what they are he's undoubtedly looked at the things. I think they're more black/yellow ish with a bit of something else .... don't think they're red.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
RichA, it will be one of the Apache series.

thanks, done some reading up and the Apache Crossfire or Recons sound like the ones to go for

interesting comments in here --- >>> http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/66/30/

I've booked a pair of Crossfires w/e after next in Schladming ... I'll post how I get on with them afterwards (if anyone's interested!!) .. shame they don't have the Recons.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, they're blue with yellow and black arrow designs on them.
Thanks for the advice chaps - food for thought, particularly the Stoekli's JT.
Wear The Fox Hat, I'll have a look at the K2 website and read up a bit more.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy