Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

nassfeld

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Nassfeld.. Looking at going next Feb half term with 4 x adult intermediates and two child begginers ( ski school for them !) The resort looks just what we are looking for and seems much cheaper than others. We are not interested in night life and are a bit fed up with the expense of French ski resorts . Andorra has gone really expensive and hate the three hour tansfer and half term flights to Geneva are silly money .

Anyone been recently ? We have found a great chalet in Hermagor .. good free ski shuttle and lockers at the bottom of the main lift Anyone any idea on transfers from Klagenfelt airport ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Local taxi company are the best bet, although there is a shuttle service.
6 people should be enough for a minibus. there doesn't seem to be many options, try sending a request to the Nassfeld tourist office.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has been on my radar for a while.

Looks a great resort for mixed ability and ages.

Went to Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis with my brother's family instead of Nassfeld because I was skiing in the South Tyrol before meeting up with them.

But it was a toss of a coin.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I enjoyed a week at Nassfeld. A lot of the pistes around the central bit felt very very similar to each other. Same style / angle / slope
But plenty of variety at each end. We especially liked the left hand end as seen when looking up hill
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went at the time of Austria's snowmageddon in January. Package deal with Crystal/TUI. Landed in Salzburg and the minibus drove through all the snow until it got less and less and after the main Alpine ridge it twas all green and brown with a great big white swipe down into Tröpolach three hours after we set off. Nassfeld refers to the pass and is a bit easier on the tongue for marketing I guess. It's an easy drive down the A10, with a toll, then onto the 111 Gailtal road to Hermagor. Instead of going via Villach the route we went cut that corner off and used a little road though the sticks which judging by the height of the snow poles beside it wouldn't have been suitable in a normal snow year.

We did inquire about a Taxi to Monte Lussari 60km in Italy and were quoted €70 each way for four. It has a pilgrimage church and buildings on top of the mountain and would have been quite a sight if we'd had some sunny weather for it.

We stayed at the - Mountain Resort Franz Ferdinand Nassfeld - a modern glass, steel and concrete built three star half board hotel with Austria's tallest indoor climbing wall. Excellent buffet breakfast and buffet style night time meal with lots of choices. The rooms are a little unusual in that they each have a sort of lobby area as you walk in with ski hangers, boot drier rack and metal benches. The concrete floors are heated, the one in the bar hotter than elsewhere.

The skiing is accessed via the three stage (no need get out) Millenium Express gondola which has cabin speakers for warnings and marketing announcements their PR department seem keen on. You can ski just about everywhere using chairs and gondolas. Although you have to go to the top in most cases to get about, which was easy enough in a whiteout or cloud and gales but was not pleasant. Nearly all the runs were open except for a few blues due we think to not enough snow. The ski area is nearly all red pistes, with the odd steeper pitch and as said above all much the same. The FIS piste from Gartnerkofel was really nice though. Mountain huts were a little limited most being in the settlements. From the Kofelplatz (top station of the Millenium Express) there are no huts till Schlanitzen on the slope above town. Hardly any trees until above there as well. What pistes lined with trees there are have to be accessed using lifts that go to a peak, so bad weather skiing ain't great. The area seems popular with eastern European families and learners to intermediates. Piste etiquette and behaviour was noted to be polite and better than we've experienced recently elsewhere.

Tröpolach is tiny. Maybe five hotels, more guesthouses, B&Bs and apartments. Three apres bars and a village local. It has a small medical center, bank supermarket and petrol station complete with a smoking allowed cafe bar Shocked There are two ski hire shops. One in the Franz Ferdinand site and one in the Hotel Falkensteiner site both just across from the Millenium Express station.

Anything else ask away.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went in 2009, I'm not sure how much it will have changed in ten years, but here's my trip report anyway:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1153845&highlight=nassfeld#1153845
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HoneyBunny, There's now no T-bar lift to get to the top of the Carnia lift. Zum Alois is another apres bar next to the Millenium lift station. The Cube is now the Franz Ferdinand. Nightlife was quiet but not as bad as expected. Barenhutte and bar Alpin open till two and Zum Alois didn't seem to shut, weekend was busier than mid week.

I think your snow conditions are more typical than we experienced.

There are lots of lifts dotted in on the piste map on the Italian side which would improve the area greatly. No evidence of anything happening though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy