Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boot/helmet bag - on flight????

Poster: A snowHead
Just purchased one of those ski boot/helmet bags - my question is - it will have to go into the 'hold' - will my very precious boots and helmet be protected sufficiently from knocks etc?
I understand it rather does depend on how good / padded the bag is - but wont really know till bag arrives!
Usually drive / train so trying to pack as economically as possible as flying!
(Blond female used to taking as much as she likes - 20kg - seriously!!) rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I appreciate they are shine new - but they are meant to be beaten up, obviously, you don't want to hammer it but can't see a trip causing real damage to it if you provide some basic padding to it.

I have taken many times boots and helmet in hand luggage if that gets you the peace of mind Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dippy, Boots are fairly sturdy. Mine like to eat through bags, so I usually wrap them in clothing to protect the bag.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks for advice - boots not new but just very precious as so comfy!
Think I will bubble wrap them!
Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boots are pretty much bullet proof short of being run over by something. I would be more concerned for the helmet. Once packed if the helmet can be felt from the outside on both sides, it will be subject to whatever load is stacked on top of it, and potentially damaged.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 21-03-19 16:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Take your boots in your hand luggage if they are precious.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing worse than having to cart boots around an airport. Helmet in the hand luggage every time though
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The reason most people would carry boots in hand-baggage is that they don't get mislaid that way, which is especially important if you have a multi-segment flight.

The airline almost always will get them to you a day or so later, but it's easier to rent/ borrow clothing & skis/ boards than it is boots.
Personally I carry my boots and bindings in the cabin for precisely that reason (my bindings are not easily available where I ride).
I often bring the things back in the hold because the risk doesn't matter that way, and they're heavy. That said, I just got some
Carbon fibre boots which are so light it'd be a shame not to lug them...

The best bags are those which fit within the airline's regulations for obvious reasons.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ol_smokey wrote:
Nothing worse than having to cart boots around an airport. Helmet in the hand luggage every time though
eh? they are in a small wheelie case and no hassle at all. How would you carry your boots around an airport that is such a hassle?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The OP said boot bag not hand luggage wheelie case. My hand luggage is my backpack with my helmet either attached or inside.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ol_smokey, hassle? Put in wheelie suitcase Tetris style and wheel behind you like thousands of people do with their luggage in airports every single day.

Not only do you guarantee that you have one of the most important pieces of equipment with you but also cut a good few kilos from your hold luggage allowance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ol_smokey, ah...i meant mine are in a small wheelie case etc...but you said nothing worse than having to cart boots around an airport. I think it's a daft idea carting them round in a bag you have to carry, so I think we agree even though we have different approaches
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I totally agree - if the boot bag the OP mentioned is placed inside a wheelie case it's no hassle to take as hand luggage. I wasn't sure that that was what was meant and so I was replying as if the OP would be carrying the boot bag as if it were their (unwheeled) hand luggage.

If my hold bag doesn't make it to resort not having my boots is a small part of the problem to my mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh blimey - not sure boots are allowed in hand luggage thats why I have hastily purchased a boot/helmet bag so they can go in the hold as part of my 20kg luggage allowance.
Weight wise I will get away with it as hand luggage - but size allowed is 55x40x20 - not worried about carting them around airport (got husband for that)!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dippy, Yes they are...apart from at chambery i beleive
latest report
@Dippy, let's start again...what are you trying to achieve? MrHL puts his boots and helmet in the hold in a holdall that has boot pockets. All within the weight limit for 1 bag with his clothes. Depending on your airline I would be more concerened about the number of pieces of hold luggage.

Where are you going from/ to and which airline?
snow report
OK - so flying Gatwick - Chambery on a Thomson Flight.
Allowed 20kg hold which can be split into x2 pieces - both weighing no more than 20kw combined
Hand luggage 5 kg size no larger than 55x40x20 - you can take helmets in hand luggage.
Was thinking of putting ski boots and helmet in boot bag to go in hold - approx 5kg leaving me 15kg for my suitcase?
Now thinking just put ski boots in case and max hand luggage with thermals!
latest report
Dippy wrote:
OK - so flying Gatwick - Chambery on a Thomson Flight.
Allowed 20kg hold which can be split into x2 pieces - both weighing no more than 20kw combined
Hand luggage 5 kg size no larger than 55x40x20 - you can take helmets in hand luggage.
Was thinking of putting ski boots and helmet in boot bag to go in hold - approx 5kg leaving me 15kg for my suitcase?
Now thinking just put ski boots in case and max hand luggage with thermals!

First time flying TUI (also from Gatwick but to Salzberg this weekend) for a ski trip for us which is proving to be a bit of a pain because of their paltry 5kg hand luggage and they are quite strict/hot on weighing them. I've always taken ski boots in hand luggage with other items but can't this time as my boots + my carry on bag weigh more than 5kg without anything else in the bag. I don't really want my boot bag going in the hold either.

So my boots have gone in my hold luggage, with as much as I can get in on top up to 20kg. I'm then just using a large rucksack which is lighter than my normal carry on which has my helmet, other light clothing in etc. Worked pretty well and I've got everything I need for the week.

If you are struggling, then maybe take your helmet attached to the outside of your carry on bag? Then if they weigh it, you can just take it off.
snow report
@Fridge03, I'm going to put some items in board bag that wont make it look at all bulky. My son flew out of Gatwick last week (Norwegien) and he said lots of people had their helmets clipped to their hand luggage. He also said when checking in they paid no attention to size or weight of hand luggage - possibly Tui different!!

To be honest - I'm not prepared to skimp - if I have to pay a bit extra then so be it (got a last minute bargain so cant complain)!

As long as my skis boots and hair straightners arrive in one piece then I will be a happy bunny! Laughing
latest report
Going out I pack my boots in my hand luggage case and carry my helmet. Never had any problems. Going home use my full weight allowance in my hold luggage.
snow report
I flew with TUI this time last year and packed my boots in hold luggage as I wanted to take a backpack as carry-on with other stuff in it. Put someting soft round the boots OP - you don't need to overthink this wink
snow report
Why buy specific bags.

You're probs using a backpack anyway; just pop yer boots in there
ski holidays
UPDATE - really impressed with myself - all packed with kg's to spare!!
Well with a little help from adding a few little extras in hubbys snow-board bag. (snowboard boots and chocolates)
One helmet in hand luggage.
Ski boots and other helmet in case.
Very Happy
ski holidays
Believe it or not I have been very lucky with being able to get this through as a cabin bag many times - https://skiracing.co.uk/product/extreme-zaino-team-bag-fantasia-1079/

Packed boots helmet and quite a bit of clothes....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy