Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt ... How to get there ,where to stay etc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For the second time ive been to Cervinia and not managed to ski over to Zermatt .
I always thought Zermatt was out of my price range but looking again its not all high end hotels .

Where do you fly to ?? I was looking at Milan Malpensa or geneva

Transport ?? Car hire at Milan is very reasonable but reading other posts you have to park 5km from Zermatt and Train/bus in .How did that work out for everyone and how do you get from the train station to your accommodation if its right across town ??

Where to Stay ?? There seems to be 3 lifts in town and the snow train is it better to stay nearer one of the lifts than the others
Is the snow train included as part of the lift pass
Where are the main Apres ski bars and night life

Other Info?? Are there ski lockers at most of the lift stations in town ( I like to avoid walking in ski boots at all costs )
Whats the general prices of a beer ,Pizza , pasta dish etc
Any thing else i should know

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can park in the town of Tasch and get the train into Zermatt from there. We did that on a daily basis as it was much cheaper to stay in Tasch than Zermatt.

The scenery is stunning, but I didn't warm to Zermatt as a resort. It seemed full of eye wateringly expensive watch shops and little else to make me want to go again. If you're not too worried about the cost it may well be that you would have a different experience, but we ended up eating at MacDonalds one night as it was the only reasonably priced place we could find.

The trip over from Cervinia gives you access to the skiing without the cost of staying in Zermatt and so is our preferred option. How come you didn't manage to make it over - the weather I guess? April can be stunning and the weather has been pretty reliable then for us.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fly to Geneva or Zurich-train transfer from either takes around 3 hours 40 to 4hrs. One change at Visp and it’s all very straightforward. The train ride up the mountain is part of the experience. The Swiss transfer train ticket I think is or has just been phased out, so don’t know what the cost now is.

Car hire is another option and the drive is slightly quicker from Geneva -about 2 hrs 30 I think , but you have to park in Tasch and then get the 10 min train trip into town-so there’s not a lot in it in terms of time and cost when you add in car parking, extra train fare and fuel.
We’ve done both..and marginally favour the train as it’s so relaxing-and there’s less need to factor in traffic jams in timing a return to Geneva airport.

Getting to accommodation on arrival; If you stay at a half decent hotel, I think most (if not all) will pick you up. Stand alone taxi rides cost absurd amounts given the distance of most journeys. If you have a wheely bag, and your accommodation is within a mile of the station then it’s not too hard to walk.

Zermatt is the most expensive place I have ever skied. It can feel very blingy-quite a high Bognor ski wear demographic (yuk), though I think there is also quite a hard core ski crowd too. We tend to go on the shoulder of the season in late November on a ski testing package (booked via tourist office) and only for 3 nights max, and at that time of year the super rich are nowhere to be seen. We have also been for a few days early and late in main season when son was working as an instructor there. In November the best location is towards the Klein Matterhorn lift station as that is the only one operating at the time. We’ve stayed at the hotel Bristol just over the bridge, which is a pleasant 3 star hotel in a very convenient spot for getting pretty much everywhere. At that time of year it’s not half board. Most hotels offer half board packages in the main season. Eating out is pricy-think 25chf for a pizza or burger minimum. Best value lunches are to be enjoyed on the cervinia side.
We’ve also self catered-found a bargain 80’s style apartment via the Zermatt website on one occasion, which just happened to be in a great location. Groceries are still reassuringly expensive!
I think the place is beautiful and still just about clings to olde world charm -a drink in the Hexen bar or at Elsie’s is redolent of the old days, but Zermatt is catering more and more for the Ultra rich, so mere mortals can find it harder to feel at home.
There are ski lockers, not sure how easy it is to get one in the main season.

Others can fill you in on apres ski and night life.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wasley, it depends where you are flying from but flights into Geneva, Basel or Zurich work best due to easier train connections. Milan works too, but just a bit more of a faff. In Geneva and Zurich the train stations are in the airport, one change only at Visp and a really easy journey, Train passes on sale 60 days out and prices increase the closer you get to departure. Basel airport involves and short bus ride from the airport to the station, but the pluses are a small easily navigable airport and, for us in Scotland anyway, usually substantially cheaper fares than to either of the other two. So, our airport of choice if possible.
Unless you have some compelling reason to need to drive, I honestly wouldn‘t. The trains are clean and efficient, you can relax and enjoy the scenery and bring you right into Zermatt, as opposed to parking in Täsch and paying garage fees for a car you won‘t use while in Zermatt. Many hotels have their own electric taxis that collect you from the station, if you are self catering then depending on where your apartment is you might be able to walk (it isn‘t that big a place) or electric taxis are also available.
Where you stay depends to an extent on your budget and your skiing level. Many people will say to stay near the Klein Matterhorn lift station but that is at the southernmost end of town and the furthest walk from most of the bars, restaurants etc. We prefer to stay closer to the Sunnegga funicular which takes you up to that ski area and the connections over to Gornergrat and onward to Furi, Klein Matterhorn (and Cervinia!). Assuming you are reasonably competent then crossing over all three ski areas won‘t pose a problem and at the end of the day you are in easy walking distance to many bars and restaurants etc.
You ask about a snow train but there isn‘t one as such, just regular Swiss transport as described above. Actually on re reading I wonder if you are talking about the Gornergrat railway - if so that is included as part of your ski pass. Your lift pass will vary in price depending on when you go (`dynamic‘ pricing depending on whether it‘s a peak week or not). It will also depend on whether you add on the Cervinia extension or not.
Most/all hotels have ski rooms, and many apartment buildings will too. If you don‘t want to walk far stay near one of the lifts or use a rental company like Flexrent or Dorsaz who provide overnight depots for gear. There are lockable ski racks at the lift stations as well.
So far as food etc is concerned, it would be wrong to pretend it‘s cheap, but there are places like the North Wall, Sparky‘s Grizzly‘s, Wilde Hilde that are more reasonable, and at the other end you can eat seriously well if you choose.
Hope that helps give you some food for thought.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fly to Geneva and then train. Swiss transfer ticket is no more I believe,but check sbb site. Hotel La coronne is excellent. If this is too expensive, then I dont know. Nothing is cheap but hotels are better than France for the money imo. Do go though. It is fabulous. Papperla for apres, but only when the band are on!
Beware though, that an Italian red is certainly a Zermatt blue. Cervinia is easy skiing by comparison. We If in Zermatt, lunch at Fluhalp on Sunday with the band, and Chez Vrony and Findlerhof on two other days. Im sure you have eaten at Chalet Etoile and Bontadini in Cervinia, but if not make sure you do.
On skiing front white hare ( red) and Obere Nationale ( Black) are excellent.
La Coronne is at the ski bus stop. Expect a Pizza at 26 chf. A beer at 8 chf. My advice is to worry when you get home!
If money is very tight, don't go.

If not its worth every franc

Enjoy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ps agree with Scotsgirl, Sparky's has been excellent and relatively cheap for years. Grizzleys,we went to this year and is good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the useful info
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We flew to Geneva then took the train from the airport to Zermatt with just one change at Visp. We booked with Inghams and the transfer costs were all included in the price.

Cars are no allowed into Zermatt, so not sure how it works driving there (I'm guessing car parks on the outskirts), internally there are electric taxis to take you from the station to your hotel.

My recommendation is to get a room in a catered chalet, we did this and saved a lot on the cost of eating out.

Our chalet was on the winkelmatt, near the main lift up to Furi station, which gives you quick access to most areas.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As others have said let the train take the strain.

We did this from GVA at end of January using a Swiss Transfer Ticket. Easy transfer and regular service

There's lots of reasonably priced S/C accommodation on Booking .com and Airbnb. Ours was in the Spiss area (up a steep hill - in the mountains whoulda thunk it) and about 10mins walk to the station or to the Sunnegga lift. Frequent ski bus to get around town though and to the Matterhorn lifts.

Papperla very good for live music, Hennu Stall good stopping off point for a cheeky beer when skiing back to town, The Brown Cow below the Hotel Post is also good . Grizzly's good food and reasonably priced also The North Wall for decent cheap pizza.

The final 300mts or so after Hennu stall and back to the Matterhorn lift/ski bus stop is a flat track and hence a walk/skate.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy