Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An all mountain fun ski that looks good

Poster: A snowHead
So I have reduced my quiver to a set of piste skis that I very much like at this time. However I would like to add to these with something else wider and more playful but suitable for all mountain. Opinions and comments would be much appreciated; the current short list is:

Salomon QST 99 - a bit dull but probably a decent ski
Zag H95- beautiful looking and good to ski from everything I hear
Black Crows Camox or Camox Freebird - beautiful looking and might get a good deal, should be fun to ski again
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe also look at the Nordica Enforcer and the new 100mm version of the Atomic Bent Chetler.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr P has the Camox and they are his day to day on and off piste skis. He really likes them. Goes everywhere on them and now barely reverts to his more piste orientated skis (Head supershape Titan) on a hard snow day. In fact, when I think about it, I don’t think they’ve come out of the ski locker more than once this winter.

Have you thought about the Head Kore 93 or 99? I only say cos I tested the Kore 93 last winter and thought they were fun-really easy to ski and to turn.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Perty, Kore 93 is a great ski but rather dull (or understated?) graphics.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You buy skis cos they look nice Shocked Shocked Shocked doesn’t sound very kamikaze!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm a big fan of the Armada ARV 106 (that's why I have a set), very soft so really playful and put a huge smile on my face. I actually use them as a 1 ski quiver but some hardpack days can be a bit tiresome (e.g imagine EoSB pre-11am conditions for a whole day). Graphics are...different.

Also at Oktobertest I tried the Faction CT2.0 and that was similarly entertaining, would love to try them out on a mountain. More understated top sheet but I always think look good when I see people on them (the black/gold version of previous years)

Another ski that's decent AM but a bit narrower and more chargey than the above is the Scott Slight 93, less soft/park leaning but good fun. Top sheets are clean looking rather than 'good'...but Bob's right, why buy skis based on how they look? Wink

Edit: Oh and possible that the Scotts would be available to try at a bash as Jon previously had them as part of his test fleet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.downskis.com/shop/throwdown-105-2018
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kastle FX95hp all day long!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have the latest ARV 106 by Armada, they have slightly stiffened them, phenomenal ski, you can really shred on them, or go slower and more playful. Just awesome
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kamikaze Pete,
http://exoticskis.com/ExoticSkis/list.aspx?pageIndex=0&numRows=10

good resource ....................... but really !!!!! choosing skis by graphics is a bit lame !!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could look at it the other way, why would they make good skis that don't look good? Very Happy

BCs do have a really nice look to them I feel. Those along with the Kastle, the layup and construction looks exquisite in a technical sense.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitedot Altum 94
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As above the WD Asbo ( delinquent)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, @Bennisboy, I've just retired my Armada ARV 106's, having glued the topsheet 3 time my local ski shop called time on them.
A really fantasic ski, agree that bulletproof pistes aren't their forte, but still manageable.
A really playful piste ski and wide enough for pretty much any off piste you fancy.
I have an order in with Jon from the Piste office for the Facion Candide 2.0 which seems to be a similar ski, he's just waiting for my BSL.
Can't wait to get them on the snow!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
Whitedot Altum 94

Yep, I've only had 3 days on mine so far but great fun.
ski holidays
Well it seems some people dont think the look is important, and I know what you mean but I care, especially if spending a large sum of cash.

Definitely some interesting options to think about here I did look at the Kastle FX95HP - it does have very good reviews and I know Snoodles rather likes the Armada as others seem to echo.

Also going to look at the Kore, maybe the 99 but 93 could be good too.
snow report
@Chattonmill, I'm only just starting to play around off piste but the ARVs completely transformed my soft snow skiing. I love being able to just dick around on piste with them as well, I really just wish I was decent enough to get more out of them because they're a much better ski than I am skier (if that makes sense).
snow report
@Kamikaze Pete, all kind of pointless if you don't tell us what colour of salopettes you intend to wear with them wink
ski holidays
@Kamikaze Pete, I think the Kastle skis have a reputation for being extremely stiff, and quite a hard ski to ski. BUT that might be what you're after
snow report
@Bennisboy, Thanks - while I may manage that doesnt sound fun and playful which I want.

@adithorp, You should know I have multiple pairs of ski pants so not a deal breaker. There is a v nice deal I have seem on the Camox Freebird, making it quite attractive but being the freebird it may not be as stiff and as such weaker on piste.

Struggling to see a great deal on the Armada and as Snoodles said the graphics are quite something!

Will definitely think about the Altum and the Faction options.
snow conditions
I didn't find the FX95HP stiff or hard to ski but it's not much of a looker.

Best looking skis on the market are clearly the Black Crow all mountains, (not the freebirds). Whitedot could learn a thing or two about branding from them but that's another thread.
snow report
I have the normal BC Navis which has a very fetching black and green colour scheme. It skis fantastically well only suffering on very hard pistes and with a little more width than the camox is excellent off piste. I've skied knee deep powder and not wished for something wider
snow report
Elan Ripstick 96. Easily meets the brief and you can't miss them.
ski holidays
lib tech skis
ski holidays
Thanks guys, typical a lot of places seem to only have the Ripstick in the 86 and the 116- also watching some armadas on ebay that are down the road from me
snow report
just purchased the icelantic pioneer 109s with the wood effect topsheets
snow conditions
@mk28, Does anyone this side of the pond sell them?
latest report
i got them from a french shop online called krakatoa. ive seen them in resort in tignes. i dont think many places stock them though no.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a pair of these last season and absolutely love them
http://www.skiessentials.com/2019-ski-test?skis=2019-rossignol-black-ops-98-skis
Although that picture doesn't really do them justice
latest report
Was not so impressed with the Ripstick ourselves, a bit less stable at speed. YMMV
snow conditions
What about J Skis? They should be good and there are many different topsheet options.

https://jskis.com/
snow conditions
@wills_h, definitely an interesting option the black ops definitely look better than photos imply
snow report
I like the nordica enforcers in 100 Skullie
snow conditions
Tom Doc wrote:
What about J Skis? They should be good and there are many different topsheet options.

https://jskis.com/

Funny you should mention J Skis …………… https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-Ski-Masterblaster-blank-180cm/132968737044?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, Hi Paul, I have seen a great deal on the FX95 but its the 2015 version, has much changed since then?
snow report
@Kamikaze Pete, yes, very different skis. The 2015 model was the FX94. The subsequent model, the FX95, in both HP and non-HP, came out in 2016 (as far as I remember). It introduced early rise.

The current FX95 has been around for 2(?) years. It will be updated for 2020, and will again be a very different ski: [url=]https://www.pugski.com/threads/kästle-announces-largest-model-line-increase-since-2007.13801/page-6[/url]

If you are looking for a mid-90s do-anything ski, try the Stöckli Stormrider 95. I bought a pair this year and did 8 weeks on them in St Anton. The only limitation I found was the pilot.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 18-03-19 12:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Interesting as the site I was looking on says they are FX95 and the year is 2015! I suspect they are the 16 one or something then. the description is below:

Skis + bindings
Model: adult
Discipline: freeride / all mountain
Level: experienced to expert
Year: 2015
Light and easy to handle
Perfect for backcountry skiing
Provide excellent lift in powder
FEATURES:

Sandwich construction
Beech, poplar and fibre glass core
Traditional camber
Rocker tip and tail
Great lift
DIMENSIONS (reference size 181 cm):

Side cuts: 126 - 95 - 115 mm
Turn radius: 20 m
Weight per pair: 4.2 kg
TECHNOLOGY:

Double HollowTech (tip and tail)
ski holidays
@Kamikaze Pete, this is what I know of the 2015/16 model, which my wife currently skis: https://www.onthesnow.com/gear/a/6387/2015-2016-men-s-all-mountain-front-ski-buyers-guide/kästle/fx95-hp

I had the preceding model, the FX94. I now have the SR95

BTW: if the ski you are looking at has dual hollow tech, then it is older than 2014: https://freeskier.com/gear/kastle-fx94-ski-2014
latest report
@ulmerhutte, It sounds like it could be quite old, will pass on that basis and not many people try to pass off 4.2Kg as light now either
ski holidays
go to the atomic customize site, you can have what you want..

https://customstudio.atomic.com/#en-gb
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy