Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to be in Zell am See for the 1st week of April, and am trying to decide where to ski the following week. I have several options in Switzerland and France, but was wondering about staying in Austria.

What are snow conditions likely to be like in the Austrian resorts? (big general question...I know rolling eyes )

Are most of the resorts likely to still be open, or do a lot of them close early?

Any recommendations?

Cheers!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obertauern is normally pretty good in April
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, are you in Zell for business or pleasure, or rather will you get any skiing in the first week? If not, the Kaprun glacier just up the road will be fine for that time of year. I skiied it in mid-April and it was good. I also skiied in Zell albeit only to/from mid station.

In general, Austria has good snow levels at present so it all depends on the temps over the next few weeks and subsequent closing dates. If it is still looking good by the end of March, the Ziller Valley might be a good base with the Hintertux glacier included on the lift pass if the snow is looking a bit iffy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hayley t, I'll be in Zell for business...but the business is skiing!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, it ought to be pretty quiet. What I used to do was just turn up at the tourist office and ask them to find me something on the day. Pensions ought to be dirt cheap at the last minute. If I were there at that time I'd go to Stubai, Obergurgl, Pitztal, and Lech in that order.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you'll find all resorts keep open until easter (15/16th April) , I know our lifts are open until then and I'm hoping with the base of snow we have here that they will extend beyond that.
Deb
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B,

South facing slopes suffer most from the sun in Spring, probably best to seek out somewhere that has as few as possible slopes facing south. To be honest anything could happen weather wise between now and then so I would wait and follow the snow. Easter is later this year so places with remain open early april but be quiet as ise says.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 9-03-06 9:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B,
1) This is the most exceptional winter we have had here since... well nobody seems to know since when.
2) Even in the worst of the bad winters over the last twenty years here I have been able to ski until end of season in St.Anton ( often on the first weekend in May).
3) I have also always been able to ski until end of season in my wife's home village in Kleinwalsertal. Not quite so late, but that's only because they close earlier than St.Anton
4) Even low lying Kitzbuehel is usually completely skiable way into April. You just might not be able to ski down to the valley

Unless the weather goes completey crazy on us the snow is going to last for a long time this year. Don't worry. Just book.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends what you want to ski. St Anton is mostly south facing, I was there in April 05, it was slush in the afternoon. Was at "Ski Amade" in March one year, it was rock hard courdrouy in the morning and slush by lunch. If you only plan to ski in the mornings and then sit in the sun most places should be fine.

Normally the Austria summer starts in May but it has been bikini weather at Easter (mid April). A cold winter is often followed by a warm summer, if it starts hot & early then going high to ski will be best (e.g. Kaprun, Pitztal, Hintertux). If it stays cold then there will be plently of good places to ski. I don't see the need to book now and don't see what advantage booking early would give you, but it's your decision.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not planning on booking anything in advance, but I like to have some sort of plan in my mind...that can always be changed at the last minute.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kaprun is looking good at the moment, 29cm new snow and 330cm in total. The ski area is minus 10 at the top minus 1 at the bottom.
Sölden is also looking good with 350cm base.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, cool. I go to Zell this Friday snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anone know current conditions in Saalbach?

I'm there 1 -4 April
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy