Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for the Salomon 1080 haters

Poster: A snowHead
There are various remarks on here and other forums that Salomons are "too floppy" are "punters skis", "supernoodles" etc etc.

Now for me I like 'em, they suit me, I just want to enjoy my skiing, go anywhere, on and off piste. I'm not the best skier in the world, but certainly not the worst either!

So, being serious, what do people dislike about them?

If I like the 1080s, what other skis would people suggest I try if I get the chance?

What difference would I find?

Main requirements are for a do anything ski, a typical week could be:

1-6 days off piste with/without a guide
half day skiing with my kids, ie slowly on greens/blues
if off piste is trashed hacking arounds reds/blacks, moguls on/off piste

I'm 5ft 10", 13 stone, 39 years old skied around 32 weeks (diary http://www.gregh.co.uk/html/skiweek.htm)

Some pics of me skiing on the 1080s....

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gregh, you should try Volkl Karmas and K2 Public Enemies - similar to the 1080 in some ways, but more responsive, and longer lasting. (oh, and "supernoodles" is normally a reference to pocket rockets)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a pair but they died after only 3 or 4 months skiing (hardish) on them. Apart from that it's a great ski. Can all the haters ski your line?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heard the new 1080 is pretty good...

Try a Stockli, from XL upwards, ski the Snakes longer than you'd think
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregh, don't listen to Wear The Fox Hat, he's got 'emotional problems' relating to Salomon ( WTFH NehNeh )

Seriously though - I've been skiing Pocket Rockets for about 3 seasons now and I would say my skiing pattern isn't too disimilar to yours. I ski for fun so don't want to have to work a ski too hard. At times I may be looking for,catching up with, herding, or ducking snowballs from the kids so I like a ski that doesn't force me to concentrate all the time.
I like to ignore piste markers as much as possible, taking shortcuts or alternate routes and I'd rather take on moguls than a crowded piste any day of the week.

Having tried the Volkl Karmas, I would disagree completely that they are similar. Although they may well be more responsive, they seemed a lot 'fussier' and unforgiving to me. It may just be a weekness in my technique, in fact I've no doubt it was, but going from PR's to Karmas, I really had to concentrate.
I've not tried the Public enemies myself so I'll resist the temptation to comment there other than that I know they are very well respected and would seem to be the ski from K2's range pitched most closely to the 1080.

From the K2 range I'd say the Seth Pistol was certainly worth checking out - a little fatter than your skis and a little firmer but probably not a million miles away chatacter-wise.
A ski which really impressed me though was the Black Diamond - Havoc - it's not easy to find but when u turn it up, there's always someone nearby raving about it (as opposed to hyping it). On the criteria you desribe, that would be my number one tip for seeking out and trying on the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gregh, Nice pictures ! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

1080s have a foam core ? I've just retired my X-mountain tours (they're flat now)...which I think are similar to 1080 construction.

I found them - and the 1080s I tele'd on for a day or so a couple of years back, instantly easy to get on with - the 1080s where maybe (for me) a little soft.

Two thoughts - if you like 'em why change ? and 2) Try some other skis (with wood core) for a day or so, and see how you get on.

Some skis (1080s, B2s) - it seems to me, you just don't notice when you ski them, others (for me this year it's been Apache Recons and Head Isls) - you get on and think 'hey this is a great ski !' - I'm not sure if it makes it a better ski tho'.. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh, I'm not a 1080 hater, but found them OK on piste but slow turning and heavy off piste. I much prefer the Scott Aztec which I think is a truly brilliant all mountain ski. It's probably a little stiffer than the 1080, and has the great virtue of a wood core. I'd also second the idea you could try the K2 Public Enemy, but be careful about the length, many instructors here ski them and find them an excellent compromise, but Nick Zotov couldn't get on with them at all. In addition the Scott P3 is very well thought of in this sort of genre.

these are just the skis I have access to BTW, so no, I don't work for Scott!! Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ski on 1080s, and I think they're alright.

The bindings that they came with are a bit sketchy, but the skis turn well. Not so great when I'm trying to do Deneriaz impressions, but that's not something that I do too often.

I have always thought that the skier made more difference than the skis. I have been happy on any old planks and only got these ones because I got a very cheap deal.

IMHO Intermediates tend to have the strongest opinions on ski dynamics
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love my 1080's - light and floaty, good for long radius turning on-piste - but get a bit flappy at speed. I use them for when I want to have fun, ski with friends, do jumps, ski backwards - just a great fun ski - I take 2 pairs travelling to sort out what the 1080 can't do - 1080's off-piste/park and Rossy SL skis for short radius carving (easy/globesapn never check as 1080 set-up is so light Very Happy)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brendangibson, "IMHO Intermediates tend to have the strongest opinions on ski dynamics" I'm not sure about that. I think it all depends on the skier. I know instructors who don't seem to feel any difference in skis, and relative novices who do. I think it depends on whether you ski with power or touch. Touch skiers will be much more affected by the way different skis react.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, Power Rules. Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Power, thats all that matters. Touch is for wusses Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh, Lovely pictures snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh,

I retired my 1080's end of last year on a trip to Jackson Hole. They were great but I did think they got pretty soft over time making them kinda weak for piste skiing. I picked up a pair of Head Madtrix Mojo's (now the Mojo 90 I believe) a fatter, slightly stiffer set. I also went from 172 on the 1080's to 186 for the Mojos. Interestingly, these skis are great on piste, easy to turn and all the rest, but are fantastic as you'd expect off piste with all that extra flotation. The Mojos are twin tips too so maybe they release at the end of turns easier and flow through turns easier and that's what we really like. Don't be afraid to try wider and longer. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I keep a pair of Salomon slalom race skis in the quiver too for those rock hard days we seem to specialize in around here in New England but have never needed a tool like that in Europe or out west.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Jack
Don't be afraid to try wider and longer.

Listen to the man. The man makes sense...
ski holidays
My objections to the 1080 were mostly overcome by shifting the binding back ~2cm

Dark horse for ya : Fischer Atua 186cm
snow report
gregh, I agree-great pics- I guess I am v similar to you in terms of experience/wt - I really love 1080 foils- a bit fatter and stiffer for me no chatter on piste anf great off, in bumps, crud, slush

I tried K2 public enemies and hated them-

???Movement Demon Flame- but for me only worked fast on piste and I really struggled off (lost skis and fell for the first time in a long time)

1080 Foil
ski holidays
Compared to all of you I am a beginner. I tried quite a few skis at Xscape. I am only 11st 12lbs. The Apache Crossfires sounded nice and review really well but I kept catching edges. The Nordica Eliminator and Nitrous, again great reviews but I felt I had to concentrate or I'd be sunk. Tried the Rossi B2's and just seemed to glide around on them, felt like I was on rails. I think it's a case of one man's meat is another's poison.

I don't know if its relevant but with squash racquets that I can't get on with the expensive top of the range models, I am an experienced player but I am much happier with the cheaper ones, often described as "forgiving".

I guess I should have waited till next season and tried more skis in resort somewhere but a good sale price sold me the B2's.

(.....I might try some more anyway)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy