Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for some help choosing some new touring boots. I currently use some Nordica TR9's which are dead comfy but a liitle soft for the descent. I'm looking for something a little more downhill orientated. My feet are quite wide so suspect Garmonts will be out. I'm leaning towards a pair of Scarpas, either the Denali TT or tornado thermo. It seems these boots are quite similar except that the tornados can be used with normal alpine bindings. Does anyone have any experience of using either of these or indeed have any other recommendations?
I generally do short day tours so weight isn't a huge factor although obviously a consideration.

cheers

Martin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zzz, Huge differences between Tornado and Denali, i'll post 'em up when i have a sec'. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thoughts on Endorphins? (The Garmont ones, not the ones naturally produced by your thigh muscles when skiing!!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, that would be great as very keen to go shopping, particularly as it's raining here!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, Awsome, 100mm in forefoot, great flex for someone like you, by that i mean, use to skiing Tecnica.

zzz, Tornado: Very wide, awsome flex, Poly-ester. let down by Alpine sloe. Denali: Slimer fit, Pebax lighter plastic, Stiff flex pattern, Real Extreme ski moutaineering boot. Classic. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thanks for the info. Popped down the shops yesterday to look at a few boots. Decided the tornado is a little too downhill orientated. Couldn't find any Denali's to try on, boot fitter seemed to think they were discontinued now; anyone stock them in Cham?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Everyone keeps mentioning the Garmont Endorphins, but I can't find any mention of them on the Garmont site . . . wazzap?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zzz, I have them, yes they are finished next year. Sad the replacement, Spirit 4, is SH!TE, although 4 buckle, poly-ester with lite-tech inserts. However too large like the Spirit and Tornado.

Masque, Endorphine is next year, same as Adrenaline with some minor differences. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, sorry to bother you again, any thoughts on the Lowa Struktura; my local man in Morzine raves about them, but then he is selling them!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zzz, Worst of the bunch in my opinion. Little Angel
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, ok thanks for that. it seems to me that you are pretty clued up on all of this. What I really need is a shortlist of say five boots that I should look at. If you have the time perhaps you could give me your opinion as trawling the internet for reviews is fine but first hand knowledge is more valuable.
Generally the type of touring I do is fairly short stuff, half a day to a day long and 1000'm to 2000'm vertical. I get out about twice a week and ski all types of terrain, both touring and lift served to an ok standard. What I would like is primarily a touring boot that will be good in the descent but not crippling during the climb. I have a couple of pairs of rando skis, one lightweight for longer tours and a pair of freeride skis for the more interesting stuff, ideally I'd like to use the same boots for both.

When not touring I use Technica icon carbons which I just love but have done a few seasons now so are a little tired.

What do you think?

cheers
Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zzz.

If your "local man" is in Morzine, then smallzookeeper is but a short drive away, you can pop into this shop and get fitted for a pair!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh, my thoughts entirely,

cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy