Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do pistes in US/Canada/EU compare?

Poster: A snowHead
@südtirolistdeutsch, did you try the shoulder or the west side chutes? Not gated standard runs, but kind of fun
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc wrote:
How did piste steepness got turned into beer stiffness? Smile

It's snowHead What else do you expect Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rogg wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, did you ski the Goat Eye Mountain? It's generally steeper than the rest of Sunshine, and less bowl like.

I did. I should've clarified in my post that I was reviewing the two from the eye of an intermediate groomer, not advanced off-piste Laughing

FWIW, I skied Lake Louise today, reminded me a lot of Saalbach. Everything is steeper, even the Greens got up to 25 degree pitch in certain spots! Much better vertical than Sunshine Village
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny Jones wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, food may be worse in Canada, but the beer is infinitely better over there since the microbrewery revolution transformed North American drinking habits.

I'll have to disagree-nothing beats a Radler at the end of the day!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gryphea wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, did you try the shoulder or the west side chutes? Not gated standard runs, but kind of fun

I'm not nearly good enough for either of those, hopefully one day!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Radler is nice.
Regarding food in Canadian ski resorts, would anyone care to tell me the sorts of things you can get? What's the usual? Burger and chips, pizza and chips?
At the moment I am imagining one cafe on the hill like at Glencoe or Nevis which is packed and with queues for the toilet.
Must be better than that surely?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:
rogg wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, did you ski the Goat Eye Mountain? It's generally steeper than the rest of Sunshine, and less bowl like.

FWIW, I skied Lake Louise today, reminded me a lot of Saalbach. Everything is steeper, even the Greens got up to 25 degree pitch in certain spots! Much better vertical than Sunshine Village

Gone up Summit Platter? That’s a good one Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Regarding food in Canadian ski resorts, would anyone care to tell me the sorts of things you can get? What's the usual?

Poutine or burgers in my experience.
Busyness? Depends on when you go, if it's not a powder day, the hills were empty compared to Europe.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Regarding food in Canadian ski resorts, would anyone care to tell me the sorts of things you can get? What's the usual? Burger and chips, pizza and chips?
At the moment I am imagining one cafe on the hill like at Glencoe or Nevis which is packed and with queues for the toilet.

Varies place to place. Lodge at the bottom with fast food (burgers, chips, chilli, poutine, soup, pizza) plus some kind of taco/hotdog/burger stand higher up somewhere is not unusual. Doesn't really get busy as resorts are pretty quiet and the food is cafeteria style fast food kind of thing so line gets moved quick. Some places have a more fine dining style sit down restaurant, but not always.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boarder2020, @gixxerniknik, well that sounds like it will suit me just fine. I'm not one for long lunches and sunbathing like you see a lot of in the Alps.
Is poutine good? Is it pretty cheap to get lunch compared to the Alps (which varies hugely I know) but let's say you can get a decent meal for €9-13 here in Tirol what sort of money for a decent lunch in Canada?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
... Regarding food in Canadian ski resorts, would anyone care to tell me the sorts of things you can get? What's the usual? Burger and chips, pizza and chips?
Must be better than that surely?
I have been to the Scottish places, and it's not a helpful comparison.

I've never seen a queue for the bathrooms (I'm male) in BC, and they're apparently universally well maintained.
Expect everywhere to have places to park your gloves and helmet etc.

Food-wise, it depends what you want and where you are. Places like Whistler you can take your pick, including Sushi. I've never eaten Poutine there, but they probably put it on for the tourists who are likely more familiar with it than the locals. It's easy to find "artisan" coffee and salads there for example. Smaller hills also have a fair amount of choice... Sun Peaks has at least one good small cafe with respectable food, in addition to self-serve. Revelstoke is smaller and more limited, although even there you can get reasonable coffee and pastries. Silver Star has an excellent cafe, plus a cafeteria if you like that sort of thing. In Lake Louise there's a brown bag area, some self-serve stuff, and then the Larch area has a cafe where the salads are excellent. Service is always good - you're not going to have trouble getting served etc.

Prices... it depends what you want to eat and how long you want to sit down for. Most stuff in BC is reasonably priced.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Poutine is sinply the food of the gods. It may sound like chips cheese and gravy but it’s so much more than the sum of its parts!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

even the Greens got up to 25 degree pitch in certain spots! Much better vertical than Sunshine Village

25 degrees - most blacks are not that steep. Harakiri, Mayrhofen is one of the worlds steepest pistes and it is 38 degrees the Grand Couloir in Courcheval is only 30 degrees. 25 degrees means you drop 466mm for a 1m forwards. ski forward 100m and you will have dropped almost 47m

I have skied Lake Louise but cannot recall these green pistes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Catering-wise I can only speak of Lake Louise/Sunshine. There are the usual canteens (which microwaves and packed lunch facilities) but also more upmarket table service options.
Obviously lots of meat, burgers, wings, steak etc but more Asian influences as well.
I like Mad Trappers Saloon at SV and at LL there’s Whitehorse bistro for restaurant style food. But everything is owned by the resort so you don’t get traditional alpine style huts and restaurants
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Poutine is simply the food of the gods

Laughing Not really sure about that! Laughing But Pulled pork poutine has to be had at least once per trip...it's a bit of a carb overdose for a lunch "snack" though!

The burgers at the Griz Bar in Fernie were amazing.

Lake Louise was always a bit busy and hard to get a seat inside.
snow report
Ok thanks all, good info on the food!
ski holidays
gryphea wrote:

I'm not nearly good enough for either of those, hopefully one day!

Is the shoulder under the old Tee-pee chair and round the corner a bit? A good little quiet corner of the resort I thought.

I did the South Chutes a couple of times, fair old hike to get up to them though. Are they the same as the West Chutes?
ski holidays
Alberta is Prime Beef territory, and they were generous with it. After the last trip to LL/SV I thought I was going to come back with horns.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, food on the hill in Canada will be humdrum: fries, burgers, hot dogs, chilli,etc. Off the hill, you can eat whatever you want in most resorts including some pretty high-end cooking. You'll struggle to find a vegetable, although salads are common enough, but meat is plentiful and varied including things we don't have in the UK like bison and elk.

For me, the problem is that the volume is always turned up on the flavours. Too much seasoning, sauces too rich, and sugar in all sorts of surprising places. And if you want good food, you tend to have to eat in somewhere quiet, respectable and posh. Cheap bars with a decent vibe tend only to serve burgers, pizza and pasta - all very pleasant but not for every night of the holiday. It's really quite hard to find an equivalent of the perfect Italian trattoria that combines perfect food with a great atmosphere.
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, good to know thanks
Is Whitewater worth going to? For skiing not food this time.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

even the Greens got up to 25 degree pitch in certain spots! Much better vertical than Sunshine Village

25 degrees - most blacks are not that steep. Harakiri, Mayrhofen is one of the worlds steepest pistes and it is 38 degrees the Grand Couloir in Courcheval is only 30 degrees. 25 degrees means you drop 466mm for a 1m forwards. ski forward 100m and you will have dropped almost 47m

I have skied Lake Louise but cannot recall these green pistes.

All my numbers come from the App "Ski Tracks" that I use which records max slope angle per piste. Maybe it's wrong, but according to it the Green 109 that goes from Top of the World down the back bowl got up to 24 degrees. In comparison to Saalbach, it recorded a section of the Blue 65 turned red 61a from the Magic 6er as 26 degrees.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

Is Whitewater worth going to?

Yes - we always include it on our road trips, along with Red - a pain to get to though - which helps really. Toofy Grin
Already planning next seasons to include both again. Madeye-Smiley The foods ok there too ( WW ) wink
latest report
@Bones, yeah Red is on the list too Toofy Grin
Where do you get your hire cars from? Assuming you do hire a car? There are some buses I know but getting around to everywhere I want to go is proving to be a bit of a headache by bus. But when I'd looked at car hire for a couple of months it was looking a bit pricey by the time I'd added in accommodation and lift passes as well, even on the multi resort/early bird rates (going by this season's rates for early bird prices)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 22-03-19 19:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
...Even the Greens got up to 25 degree pitch in certain spots! Much better vertical than Sunshine Village
[...] All my numbers come from the App "Ski Tracks" that I use which records max slope angle per piste. Maybe it's wrong ...
(1) Sunshine has plenty of on-piste terrain which is too steep for most skiers.
"Freefall" is fairly accurately named and there are dozens of marked runs like that.
I've mixed feelings about Sunshine (because of Scurfield), but you're spreading incorrect information by suggesting it's flat.
That is manifest nonsense.

(2) There's nothing in Canadian run grading which guarantees the steepness of a particular run.

(3) Mobile phone clinos are notoriously inaccurate.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, hire car wise - I just pick up from the airport, uk booking as normal. But that's for our usual 18 day trip.

For 2 months too sure how I'd do it, without looking into it.
snow report
@südtirolistdeutsch, OK, the app is rubbish, not you. These are pretty steep angles
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
...Even the Greens got up to 25 degree pitch in certain spots! Much better vertical than Sunshine Village
[...] All my numbers come from the App "Ski Tracks" that I use which records max slope angle per piste. Maybe it's wrong ...
(1) Sunshine has plenty of on-piste terrain which is too steep for most skiers.
"Freefall" is fairly accurately named and there are dozens of marked runs like that.
I've mixed feelings about Sunshine (because of Scurfield), but you're spreading incorrect information by suggesting it's flat.
That is manifest nonsense.

(2) There's nothing in Canadian run grading which guarantees the steepness of a particular run.

Not sure why you're quoting me, because I said none of those things. Nowhere did I say "Sunshine is flat", nor did I link Canadian run grading to steepness.

My generalization was that the greens and blues at Sunshine were flatter and easier than at Lake Louise.
latest report
Bones wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, hire car wise - I just pick up from the airport, uk booking as normal. But that's for our usual 18 day trip.

Yeah I'm wondering if I use the Rider Express (the Greyhound is no more in Western Canada so I've read) to get from Calgary to Banff to Revelstoke to Kicking Horse back to Banff again (depending on if I like it I might go back as I'm going past anyway) and back to Calgary staying in each place 1-2 weeks and then hire a car in Calgary to do Fernie Kimberley Whitewater and Red. That would significantly reduce the cost of car hire straight away saving the car for the resorts that are not very easy by bus. Fernie is bus friendly but I'd then have to go back to Calgary to get the car anyway and if I've already got the car then I can go straight to Kimberley after Fernie plus I'd be able to drive straight back to the airport to return it at the end.
I might need a bit longer than 2 months actually to fit all of that in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, OK, the app is rubbish, not you. These are pretty steep angles

It might be. I'd love to know the actual slope angles of what I've skied.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Bones wrote:

Yeah I'm wondering if I use the Rider Express (the Greyhound is no more in Western Canada so I've read) to get from Calgary to Banff to Revelstoke to Kicking Horse back to Banff again (depending on if I like it I might go back as I'm going past anyway) and back to Calgary staying in each place 1-2 weeks and then hire a car in Calgary to do Fernie Kimberley Whitewater and Red. That would significantly reduce the cost of car hire straight away saving the car for the resorts that are not very easy by bus. Fernie is bus friendly but I'd then have to go back to Calgary to get the car anyway and if I've already got the car then I can go straight to Kimberley after Fernie plus I'd be able to drive straight back to the airport to return it at the end.
I might need a bit longer than 2 months actually to fit all of that in.

Calgary to Banff use the Banff Airporter bus. Cheap easy comfy and on time. Delivers you to the door (we did the Greyhound from Revelstoke to Banff and ended up way out on the edge of town at a bus depot). Not sure but I reckon if you contacted them you could do the onward (Kicking Horse) leg with them too.

It's a shame the greyhound is gone, I quite liked meeting some more 'genuine' people not on the tourist busses.
snow conditions
@rogg, ok thanks

Shall I skip Kimberley after Fernie or is it worth going to as it's so close (by Canadian standards)?
snow report

"Sunshine is flat"

What?
ski holidays
rogg wrote:

It's a shame the greyhound is gone, I quite liked meeting some more 'genuine' people not on the tourist busses.

People who decide to cut your head off while you are taking a nap?
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@rogg, ok thanks

Shall I skip Kimberley after Fernie or is it worth going to as it's so close (by Canadian standards)?

Kimberley isn't Fernie by any means but its got enough to merit a visit - either long bump runs or if you get some powder some great constant pitch trees. Wouldn't sacrifice Red, WH2O, Revy, KH or maybe even Castle for it though.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, We spent a day at Kimberley, last road trip, fun place, bit weird layout but very quiet mid week - although they do bus school kids up, for skiing rec. However they don't stray too far from the base Toofy Grin

Debating whether to go again next season or not.

Agreed DOTM, I wouldn't sacrifice for it either.
snow conditions
Imo you could skip Kimberley and not be missing out on much, it's not terrible but the other places you are visiting are better.

I've never been to wh2o, but know a few guys that have. From what I've heard and seen inbounds is a little limited, slackcountry is really good though.

The other option you have is to fly Calgary to castlegar and go from there to red and wh2o. The downside to flying is quite a lot of flights get cancelled (it's not called cancelgar to nothing). Small planes and incredibly scenic flight though. Then from Nelson find a rideshare (poparide, kijiji) or hitch hike to fernie and then onto Calgary with the shuttle. Personally I would prefer that to a car which is not a whole lot of use in Rossland, and you can get by fine in Nelson without one too, unless you plan to ski backcountry a lot in which case it comes in handy for the likes of Kootenay pass.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:

"Sunshine is flat"

What?

Where did I say that?
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, @boarder2020, @Bones, ok thanks.
1-2 days max will do in Kimberley then by the sounds of it?
Time wise I'm thinking 1 week Banff, 2 weeks Revelstoke, 2 weeks Kicking Horse,
1 week Banff (if want to go back as I go past on bus anyway). Get the car from Calgary. Fernie 2 weeks, Kimberley 1-2 days (within the 2 weeks in Fernie as I could just day trip from Fernie save moving hotel again) Whitewater 1 week Red 2 weeks. Total 11 weeks which would allow time for rest days if knackered.
Anything you'd change there?
snow report
You miss Panorama

And Castle

I’d spend more time at Banff and less at Fernie, or even KH
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Another vote for Castle, great little place that's off the radar, most folks over look it.

Its been our last stop on both BC Road trips ( yeah I know its in AB Wink ) One of the few places where the inbounds is better terrain than the cat skiing the offer too Toofy Grin But I'd check weather conditions before making firm plans to go if you can - if there's new snow its great, if none for as while it can be a bit limited.

2 weeks at KH may be a bit too much, but the idea of day trip to Kimerley from Fernie is a good idea.

boarder2020, Describing W20 in bounds as limited ? Is that before the Glory chair went in ? As then folks skied down to the road and hitched back - this was really slack country then, Now the chair opens all that side up easily.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy