Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of the 2019 Winter Season

Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, I wasn't being funny, I was trying to be neutral, because I couldn't gauge your attitude in your question to me, I thought everyone knew Sweden had hills.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof wrote:
thecramps wrote:
@davidof, Skiing. Sorry. Should have said. Madeye-Smiley

I thought it was flat?

Here you go, took this for you. It's lovely, think something like a mix between the Lakes, Snowdonia and the Dales with lots of ice and snow, and you have it.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thecramps wrote:
@davidof, I wasn't being funny, I was trying to be neutral, because I couldn't gauge your attitude in your question to me, I thought everyone knew Sweden had hills.

No, I thought that was Norway. Whenvever I've watched Wallender is seems to be 100's of km of dreary flat landscape full of dreary grey people. A bit like Holland without the fascists.

Maybe you were sledging or cross country skiing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
No, I thought that was Norway. Whenvever I've watched Wallender is seems to be 100's of km of dreary flat landscape full of dreary grey people. A bit like Holland without the fascists.

If your view of Sweden is based on Wallander, I'm surprised you said this. Weren't there quite a few fascists scattered around and didnt Wallander end up shooting one in self defence, yet felt guilty about it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading on a weekend trip to Kravec in two weeks and long weekend to Soelden/Obergurgl for the long Easter weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very envious of all of you who still have sliding time left, but this season is definitely over for me. I may have to break up the long wait until next January with a trip to the Fridge, but it's not the same!

Still, on a positive note only 10 months to sort out a 2 week trip to Canada to kick off next season! (Where did I put my boot warmers?)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Long weekend to Switzerland for the Freeridedays.ch at Glacier 3000 from the 5th-8th April. Trying not to get excited about the long-term forecasts!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had 15cm of fresh in the Amade region yesterday, only flurries today but still below freezing. The forest skiing is still pretty good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sestriere was a real slush fest at the weekend, very warm and sunny. It's turned much colder in 2 Alpes since the weekend, -8°C plus a strong northerly wind at 3200m yesterday. I'll be around here for the next couple of weeks. The week before Easter I'll be skiing with my girlfriend but we're trying to work out where we can ski together on our passes (here and AdH). I can't ski over there after 5th and vice versa. Hoping we can use our days at Serre Chevalier and Montgenevre and have a day at La Grave too. We close on 27th.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It has been a busy 5 weeks since I started the thread although I was ill last week and had a week in Paris for work.

Nordic skiing is winding down, the snow is getting too wet around here to ski. Today the local ski club were climbing to the Charmant Som in the Chartreuse, a minor ski touring route, but they were doing it on nordic skis. I went to the traverse just below the summit with them. The traverse is above 100 meter cliffs and I didn't fancy the descent on nordic skis with no edges. Obviously the kids of the ski club were not bothered.

http://youtube.com/v/P4gl33X1V0A

General resort shut down on Easter Monday with only a few domains remaining open beyond.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably finished piste skiing for this year yesterday at l'Alpe d'Huez. Around 15cm of freshs now in resort overnight but the roads were clear.

Here's a look back over the last 6 months from mid November, at least at the times I got my camera out to film

http://youtube.com/v/btWJ7wVKSP0
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We closed yesterday too, Friday was a powder day after 40cm or so overnight Smile Had been closed all day Thursday due to very strong wind.

Skied 1 day at Montgenevre the week before but stayed here the rest of that week. My girlfriend who has an AdH season pass declared the snow much better here Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:
We closed yesterday too, Friday was a powder day after 40cm or so overnight Smile Had been closed all day Thursday due to very strong wind.

Skied 1 day at Montgenevre the week before but stayed here the rest of that week. My girlfriend who has an AdH season pass declared the snow much better here Shocked

Yes the winds were incredible on Thursday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still, maybe some reasonable touring to be had Tues / Wed, though being the masochist I occasionally am, I might go out and encounter some crust tomorrow, there again might be lucky, where I have in mind Cool

Tis more to scope out the potential to take a classic cafe piste skier out for his first ski tour on Tuesday.

Has been a below average season though, yes we've had good skiing but we've had to work at it, and there are loads of runs/routes we have not done this season due to lack of decent conditions.

Now planning Jap road trip for next Feb when we always try to try to get out of Dodge at that time of year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:

Now planning Jap road trip for next Feb when we always try to try to get out of Dodge at that time of year.

a cool, date noted, should be fantastic skiing in the Alps then.
ski holidays
@davidof, seem to recall didn't miss too much when we were in Colorado back in Feb.

Hope you appreciate that I'm doing my best for those who have to make do in France during the hordes season Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, seem to recall didn't miss too much when we were in Colorado back in Feb.

Hope you appreciate that I'm doing my best for those who have to make do in France during the hordes season Toofy Grin

I remember excellent snow in February, maybe not in the southern alpes though. Was it a bad year in Colorado this season or did the curse of Weathercam strike again?

I don't remember any hordes either, maybe they were in the Savoie?
ski holidays
@davidof, when we were in Steam Boat they had one of their best snowfalls of the season, 40-50cm in 12hrs Cool

And our friend who was looking after our dogs here in Serre did not see any fresh snow all of February.

And back on topic, I can catagorically state it's not the end of the season just yet.

I had an inkling cold snow could be found even with all the wind of late, though I did think that there would be crust as well.

So drive up to the Lautaret on my lonesome (no dogs as it's a park) and up towards Cobeynot and a quick 700m.

Could not let the skis run 100% as snowpack was varied on the way up, but up high was very good indeed.

http://youtube.com/v/Lm_rTeWERv8

Hopefully, some creamy spring powder/spring snow tomorrow or maybe we'll aim for cold snow, then Wednesday should be classic corn.

And hardly anyone around as you can see.
snow report
Still another two and half weeks to go until Andermatt closes. Anywhere else in the Alps open later than that ? Conditions are currently excellent. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Peter S, Stubai open 'til 10th June
snow report
And Riksgransen?

Another glorious ski tour today, marmots all over the place, should have some amusing GoPro footage Very Happy

We actually skied that face right of the picture.

And again hardly anyone around.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 30-04-19 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Amazing conditions in Val d'Isere this weekend with more snow forecast before it closes next weekend.
latest report
End of season count.........., 1.837M vertical feet. It was a good season. One side trip to Idaho, the rest in Colorady. There's still excellent skiing in Colorady in spite of most stations shut down.
ski holidays
After 2 or 3 average seasons we’ve now had 2 beauties in a row over this way. More snow last season but colder temps this year with an earlier opening on Nov 3rd. And an unexpected bonus to finish with some proper cold smoke on the closing day! Now onto the bike (hopefully no falling off) for the Summer season...

http://youtube.com/v/BS3Zi06UI6I
snow report
Had great conditions in Kitz yesterday for the end of season day Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@BobinCH, looks like a nice way to end the season. I've been trying to avoid bicycles for the last couple of years, more damage than is good for me. Laughing
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
Had great conditions in Kitz yesterday for the end of season day Toofy Grin

Presuming you mean Kitzbühel we might have met, for I had considered skiing there yesterday. But in the end I decided the other Kitz, the Kitzsteinhorn at Kaprun, would offer more variety for my final ski day of the season as my season pass expired.

Conditions on the Kitzsteinhorn were excellent, a bluebird day. There was some new snow but not powdery. It had been turned into moguls on many runs. Still tons of snow. Although the car park was busy, the slopes were remarkably quiet and the lifts without queues.

Towards the end of the season I had enjoyed another day there last Friday, though the weather wasn't so good then - very windy and several lift closures. I also enjoyed Easter Monday at Leogang, the final day of the season there with still enough runs open to make it interesting.
snow report
rogg wrote:
@BobinCH, looks like a nice way to end the season. I've been trying to avoid bicycles for the last couple of years, more damage than is good for me. Laughing

Road bike for fitness, downhill mountain bike for thrills. So far my record on the road bike is pretty good but the mountain bike is a different story... but hard to resist as those downhill trails are a heck of a lot of fun when all goes well!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, on 8th March wrote:
Last week of piste skiing before the summer in France.
No doubt the Americans, Nordics will continue a few more weeks.

For you, or for your local resort? Shocked

Masella, in the Spanish pre-Pyrenees, once again managed the longest season in the Pyrenees and possibly the Alps, opening continuously for 6 months and 1 day, from the 1st November to the 1st May inclusive.

That said, they do it precisely because of the great publicity (and consequent economic benefits) that such a claim-to-fame brings. Otherwise, I guess they'd limit it to 5 months.

And Sierra Nevada, the most southerly large resort in Europe, will close tomorrow, not long after their classic "bathing suit downhill" day and with the tapas and beer flowing on the terraces! And at 3000m, it's genuinely an economically viable approach for them. They didn't get the record though, because they opened later in November. The record went to Serra da Estrela, Portugal's only - and tiny - ski resort: 1st November to 5th May, apparently (though not continuously, I would guess). Still, I don't imagine it'll have the Three Valleys quaking in its shoes...
latest report
Pyremaniac wrote:
Masella, in the Spanish pre-Pyrenees, once again managed the longest season in the Pyrenees and possibly the Alps, opening continuously for 6 month and 1 day, from the 1st November to the 1st May inclusive.

That said, they do it precisely because of the great publicity (and consequent economic benefits) that such a claim-to-fame brings. Otherwise, I guess they'd limit it to 5 months.

Not quite in the Alps, for my first ski day was in Kitzbühel/Pass Thurn on 13th October (on artificial snow/stuff from previous season) and Kitzbühel ran till 1st May (on the Steinbergkogel, so maybe Masella did win, for it wasn't the same pistes in Kitz).

I suspect that Kitzbühel has the same logic/philosophy about the length of the season.
ski holidays
[quote="rogg"]@BobinCH, looks like a nice way to end the season. I've been trying to avoid bicycles for the last couple of years, more damage than is good for me. Laughing[/quote
i couldnt chose between summer MTBing and winter skiing for me the buzz is the same.
snow report
It’s snowing again at 500m! 30cm up at Les Pleiades. No bike today. Ski tour?

Or maybe some steep skiing in Chamonix Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/D0LHTDed614
snow conditions
There’s a problem with the snow

snow conditions
[quote="Mother hucker"]
rogg wrote:
@BobinCH, looks like a nice way to end the season. I've been trying to avoid bicycles for the last couple of years, more damage than is good for me. Laughing[/quote
i couldnt chose between summer MTBing and winter skiing for me the buzz is the same.

I had to make the call. Too many mob injuries stopping me surfing.......
snow conditions
What an unbelievable day. We’ve been out for the last day for the last few years, but would never expect this!

snow report
@Val Desire, Shocked
snow report
That looks awesome Val.
snow report
The last couple of days since a classic Spring Ski Tour day on Tuesday have been grim, loads of rain in the valley accompanied by low cloud.

That said I drove up to the Lautaret on Wednesday and it was snowing at 2,000m.

Yesterday mid-afternoon weather did clear and the sun came out and temps rose quickly, I was hoping for a clear overnight sky to suck some of the moisture out but alas awoke to cloud up over the Lautaret.

The forecast was for the weather to clear so KenX and I made the call to go for it.

As we left the valley the weather was starting to clear and it was 75% blue sky, at the Col, the Cobeynot was in cloud but as before a couple of times, I was reasonably confident that it would clear, or at least we'd wait for a break in the cloud to ski down.

We started skinning up to see this skier coming down laying some nice tracks, then the tracks became more long traverses as it was obvious the snow was mank.

We met him just as we started the climb and he said how it was good half way and then "pourri" which actually means "rotten" though I suspect he meant heavy/wet, or just dire, or crust, and he was also worried about his knee. rolling eyes

As we skinned up it was heavy, and only a faint crust, and just maybe the weather was doing its thing?

Weather starting to clear?

It was certainly not like last week when the heavy snow became cold powder, although temps did drop and I was suddenly lugging 3kgs of snow stuck to each skin, and had to stop four or five times to clear them, in the end it was easier to step than try and glide.

Ironically on the descent (in nigh on a cloudless sky) where the snow should have been better up top it was not too good and we skied very cautiosly. Then once a bit of confidence set in the skiing was actually pretty good, even past the point where the Frenchie was having issues.

All in all a damn fine tour, and nothing better than a drink at the Cafe along with others admiring our tracks Cool

snow conditions
espri wrote:
Pyremaniac wrote:
Masella, in the Spanish pre-Pyrenees, once again managed the longest season in the Pyrenees and possibly the Alps, opening continuously for 6 month and 1 day, from the 1st November to the 1st May inclusive.

Not quite in the Alps, for my first ski day was in Kitzbühel/Pass Thurn on 13th October (on artificial snow/stuff from previous season) and Kitzbühel ran till 1st May (on the Steinbergkogel, so maybe Masella did win, for it wasn't the same pistes in Kitz).

I suspect that Kitzbühel has the same logic/philosophy about the length of the season.

Ah yes, Kitzbühel's tricks haven't gone unnoticed in Spain wink. Candanchú in the western Spanish Pyrenees tried the same thing for the last two seasons, borrowing heavily from Kitzbühel's conclusions. I reckon if Masella start doing snowfarming then they'll end up with skiing all year round!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy