Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Myself and the OH have spotted a really good deal for La Rosiere. It's not been on our "list" of top priority resorts so have never considered it before.

My main question is about the size of the ski area. The pair of us like to ski about and feel like we aren't trading over the same ground (unless we like it of course!). Is there enough between La Rosiere and La Thuile for two confident intermediates? We enjoy mixing blues and challenging reds. We are staying near the Les Eucherts Express so at 1850m so I'd hope snow cover would be good at this level? We are heading there in a couple of weeks time so obviously have the "March/snow/temperature/quality" concerns. Which way do the slopes predominately face? We want to enjoy some hopefully glorious spring days, but obviously would fancy some decent piste conditions as well.

What are the prices like out on the slopes? Whilst I expect them to be more than what I'd pay at home, I assume they won't be mega-resort prices (such as 3V, EK etc?).

Another question would be.....well the dreaded B-Word.....
It will happen whilst we are away. I'm not overly concerned about coming home. It's a TO so no issues there. But what about the actual crossing into Italy? This is the first time we will go to a resort where we will want to cross over. Am I over thinking this? Haha.

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks all!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fridge03, I went to La Rosiere several times with my family and do have a soft spot for the resort. I found there is plenty enough skiing for intermediates and think they may have opened up some extra pistes on the La Rosiere side this year. Combine that with La Thuile’s ski area and it’s a decent size. The link to Italy is straightforward. A couple of drag lifts to get over the border but not a problem imo. La Ros is mostly south facing so gets the sun, but snow tends to hold up well due to elevation. Had some glorious spring trips there when the sun was out. Les Eucherts is the ‘newer’ part of the resort and the Eucherts Express will get you to the higher slopes quite quickly. Nice vibe in both parts of the resort, there is a pleasant footpath through the woods from Les Eucherts to La Ros main town. Enjoy it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been a couple of times - enjoyed it ... if you are intermediates then it will be fine size wise ... the La Thuile slopes are more interesting and challenging ... no passport required.
We stayed in apts at Les Eucherts ... very nice.
Good Petit Danois bar in the main town about 15 mins walk away.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied there this season. Some new lifts have opened up some more off piste. Nice food and cheap on the Italian side. Can be windy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

jbob wrote:
Skied there this season. Some new lifts have opened up some more off piste. Nice food and cheap on the Italian side. Can be windy.

Looking forward to getting over the Italian side to sample some of the cuisine!

PBJ wrote:
I have been a couple of times - enjoyed it ... if you are intermediates then it will be fine size wise ... the La Thuile slopes are more interesting and challenging ... no passport required.
We stayed in apts at Les Eucherts ... very nice.
Good Petit Danois bar in the main town about 15 mins walk away.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the bar. Will keep an eye for it.

damobloke1 wrote:
@Fridge03, I went to La Rosiere several times with my family and do have a soft spot for the resort. I found there is plenty enough skiing for intermediates and think they may have opened up some extra pistes on the La Rosiere side this year. Combine that with La Thuile’s ski area and it’s a decent size. The link to Italy is straightforward. A couple of drag lifts to get over the border but not a problem imo. La Ros is mostly south facing so gets the sun, but snow tends to hold up well due to elevation. Had some glorious spring trips there when the sun was out. Les Eucherts is the ‘newer’ part of the resort and the Eucherts Express will get you to the higher slopes quite quickly. Nice vibe in both parts of the resort, there is a pleasant footpath through the woods from Les Eucherts to La Ros main town. Enjoy it.

I've seen others talk about having a nice feel to the place. And we are hoping it'll be a bit quieter than it's more famous close resorts. Thanks for the advice.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You do not have to take two drags to get over the border. In fact, turn left at the end of the first drag into the Col where there is some nice skiing. For a great hot chocolate and snack lunch etc Bar du Lac to the left of the Picolo St, BErnardo chair is a good stop. You will have to repeat runs to return to Les Eucherts but they can be fun to ski. Sadly Petit Danoise is no longer. In La Rosiere, the Traversette restaurant near to the Fort chair does great pizza. If you are down at the bottom of the Roche Noir chair in LA Rosiere the Bar du Relais has good, reasonably priced food. more expensive, but with a good atmosphere, the Antigel restaurant found half way down Tetras is good too and if the weather is nice a great place to eat outside and enjoy the view. Maison Carrell in the Arnouvas sector of La Thuile is worth going to. The restaurants in the area at the top of the gondola in La Thuile we do not use. Some people do not like the run down route 7 all the way to La Thuile as there are some flat bits, but can be an enjoyable run if you don't mind and Lo Riondet is a great place to eat. You eill find Les Eucherts more expensive to eat and shop in than La Rosiere. We are returning on Saturday
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dream Genie, nice summary.
To the OP - give it a go. Providing it isn't stormy you will have a great trip
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Another question would be.....well the dreaded B-Word.....
It will happen whilst we are away. I'm not overly concerned about coming home. It's a TO so no issues there. But what about the actual crossing into Italy? This is the first time we will go to a resort where we will want to cross over. Am I over thinking this? Haha.

Definitely overthinking it, whatever the outcome of B***t France and Italy are still both part of the Schengen area and you can freely move between the two.
Lovely area to ski , enjoy it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's plenty of skiing to keep you entertained for a week but I think the best skiing is in the Italian sector.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great tips everyone. Thanks for the help.

I’m seeing no concerns about snow quality at that time of year? We don’t do off piste so just looking for decent on piste conditions.

As it’s 1800 and above I’m hoping the pistes will be in decent nick, even with the recent warmer temps. Obviously taking into consideration usual March early morning/late in the day conditions.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its due to snow all next week so it should be set up for a few weeks after that. Its been the best snow around here this year.

This is last week.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
Its due to snow all next week so it should be set up for a few weeks after that. Its been the best snow around here this year.

This is last week.

That’s what I like to see/hear!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's snowing in La Rosiere now, with more forecast this week. The ski area in the Espace San Bernardo is around 200 kms with the 5 new runs on Mont Valaisan, there is plenty of challenging terrain as well as some superb long intermediate runs, from the top of Roches Noires at 2400m you can ski all the way down to 1176 metres via Fontaine Froide. AS FtS has said the only issue in the domaine is if its very windy which closes the link to Italy. I'm sure you'll enjoy the resort, its not crowded compared to the nearby mega resorts, the lift pass is very good value, especially for families and there are some super restaurants on the mountain, both in France and Italy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swiftoid wrote:
There's plenty of skiing to keep you entertained for a week but I think the best skiing is in the Italian sector.
Agreed. We had a week in LT in 2011 spending most of the time on the Italian side, with the odd foray into France. The kids particularly liked one of the mountain restaurants on the French side - extra cream on the hot chockies I think - so we went for lunch there a couple of times but otherwise stuck to the Italian side.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the awesome advice and thoughts everyone!

That's why I love Snowheads!
latest report
I've been out to La Ros several times, most recently in December to check out the new Mont Valaisan ski area. This has added a lot to the area, many more options for advanced and higher intermediate skiers. La Thuile and opp to visit Italy is a great feature too. I don't really rate the skiing over there, and the connection isn't great (long drag required), but it's a big ski area and the hot chocs from Petit St Bernard onwards are amazing.

FWIW this is my video on the new ski area:

http://youtube.com/v/0wkfzwqAQzs
snow conditions
@iainm, thanks Iain, lovely film.

I've skied La Ros a few times and have headed left off the Fort chair and skied the area which you end up in from the new chair. I presume you can also ski from the top of the new Mt Valaisan chair as well, without the walk?
latest report
@Fridge03, lots of runs to keep you occupied as long as the link is open. If the weather's bad (particularly if it's snowing) and you're confined to La Ros the Fontaine Froide red is a great tree-lined run down to Ecudets although wrap up warm for the slow lift back up.

Food wise, Maison Carrel in La Thuile is recommended for lunch on the mountain, and Lo Tata does great pizza in the town (easy access from near the bottom of Red 7 piste). In La Ros we had good lunches in McKinleys and the bar next door which also has a great range of beers.
latest report
@Fridge03, Eat here at least once, it's great. Only a little walk (2 mins) from bottom of the piste in La Thuile.

http://www.coppapanledahu.it/ristorante-coppapan-pizzeria-le-dahu-la-thuile-courmayeur-aosta.html
ski holidays
Have they upgraded the little 2 Man chair that used to take you back to La Ros from the Italian side?
Seem to remember a long flat blue along the ridge, then a rickety chair took you back to France.
I also remember some excellent off piste on both sides of the area
snow conditions
iainm wrote:
I've been out to La Ros several times, most recently in December to check out the new Mont Valaisan ski area. This has added a lot to the area, many more options for advanced and higher intermediate skiers. La Thuile and opp to visit Italy is a great feature too. I don't really rate the skiing over there, and the connection isn't great (long drag required), but it's a big ski area and the hot chocs from Petit St Bernard onwards are amazing.

FWIW this is my video on the new ski area:

http://youtube.com/v/0wkfzwqAQzs

I read your article in skier and snowboarder mag over the weekend, and it's really nice to put your video to the article.
Thanks
ski holidays
@stu330, It's a 3 seat chair and no, not up graded but not necessary, very rarely is there a long queue. Just back from La Rosiere, we arrived last Sat 10th and it was snowing, it then snowed virtually continuously for the rest of the week, apart from Tues. The only problems were poor visibility and high winds, the link to Italy didn't open until Tues and was shut down Weds pm. On Friday there was a more than 1metre snowfall, didn't ski as much I would have liked but what we did was brilliant, superb snow just about everywhere and the low runs - Marmottes, Petit Bois and Fontain Froide all had good snow cover. The new Mont Valasain sector is super, some well laid out red runs and access to terrific off-piste without a long hike. Another great La Rosiere holiday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy