Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with broken finger

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I broke my little finger, (bony mallet finger). I've been told not to fall over but I have a ski trip to Breck on 6 April so falling over will be fairly likely. It will have been splinted for 5 weeks by then, I left it a week before getting it x-rayed cos I thought i was being mard. Ski insurance say because I am fit to fly then it's 50/50 whether I could claim for cancellation and should go and enjoy myself. So its now on file as an existing medical condition meaning I can't cancel because of it and the finger is not insured as at present the injury is less than 4 weeks old (gotta phone back Monday when it is to see if they can cover it then). So I have 2 questions for you guys other than not skiing what's the best way to protect it, and should I ski with no poles or one pole? Should I just 'man up' and stop worrying about it

Cheers guys
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rule 5 it's only a little finger. Just ask yourself what would K do Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Grandma Sunshine, How about a broken arm? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@geepee, same thing obviously rolling eyes ski just try not to fall. Insurance might be an issue for you @geepee, but @Nik, Nik could probably find a hand physio or OT to make a splint or could find an off the shelf solution on Amazon
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You just need to weigh up the risks and consequences and how bad you want to ski - clearly very badly or you would not be here. I've skied with my arm in plaster for 2 weeks (dragging a pole as it felt most comfortable) and with the other arm for 8 weeks with very limited mobility that was awaiting a full repair in the summer - neither was insured. In the second case it was actually a great relief when I fell on the damaged arm without further consequence and allowed me to relax much more.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps try mitts instead of gloves. Oh and yes, MTFU Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Re poles / no poles. I'd say try with poles first, as that's what you're (probably) most used to, but I'd suggest not using the wrist loops as I think the loops would be more likely to have a worse effect in a fall. (Though I never use wrist loops, so this might be biased advice).

However, it depends how you protect the finger. If you think the best protection is to splint it to your 3rd finger, then you may feel you don't have enough grip on the pole with just 2 fingers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
Rule 5 it's only a little finger. Just ask yourself what would K do Very Happy

No, please, don't ask yourself what K would do! She makes Tony McCoy look wet!

http://youtube.com/v/zSUqGuaEL1I

But do ski, tape your finger to the one beside it and wear mitts, or tape it up after gloves are on.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Since I seem to have been bought into this, can I suggest:
1. Buy mitts
2. Buddy strap finger in mitts
3. Go skiing
4. Drink beer (or a glass or 2 of red) and repeat

If this doesn’t work, add take painkillers to step two - and maybe after step 4

K x
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I managed to hurt a finger two days before a ski trip, there was a loud crack but I didn't realize I had broken it, so went on holiday anyway. When I got back I went for an x ray, however I was due to head back out for another week with the boys a couple of days later. Doc said just go for it you can put up with the pain. Just bandaged a couple of fingers together.

Turns out my knuckle was displaced about 5mm backwards, should have seen the other guy though....

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys. So holiday as usual but buddy tape fingers. Already ski (quite good at leaving poles behind or losing them so prob wouldn't miss it, however doing so deliberately may break one of the rules), wear mitts, drink beer (pre-tox is well on track) and take pain killers.

Doc says "it won't take a fall", the other one said don't drink in case you fall over and I've ignored that, I've only used the good hand so that's a start at being sensible

Next one is how to eat buffalo wings and not get sauce all over splint, and no I won't be still wearing mittens
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My 12 yo neice fell over on day 1 of 8 this year and hurt her thumb. She was taken to a&e on her return to the uk. Turns out it was broken but the little trooper skied all week (with poles) and passed junior academy 2 (evo2 tignes). MTFU
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was ok til I knew it was broken! did it putting scaffolding up then carried on labouring all weekend and went work the rest of the week then more shovelling and shifting stuff all the following weekend, I basically got marched to hospital to get it checked out. i think the doc just scared me. Got signed off work for 6 weeks so got nothing else to worry about. Well worried about insurance not paying out if anything happens to the rest of me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I broke my elbow when in Flaine. Not skiing but getting out of the outdoor pool at night. Carrying my daughter too.
Feet just flew up and everything came down through my elbow.
X rayed, slung, painkillers, beer. Skied the rest of the week.

Guess it depends on your standard. I tend to fall somewhere between never and once a week.
Obviously not pushing myself.

Just go for it, skiing wise, as long as the insurers give you the green light.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I broke my elbow when in Flaine. Not skiing but getting out of the outdoor pool at night. Carrying my daughter too.
Feet just flew up and everything came down through my elbow.
X rayed, slung, painkillers, beer. Skied the rest of the week.

Guess it depends on your standard. I tend to fall somewhere between never and once a week.
Obviously not pushing myself.

Just go for it, skiing wise, as long as the insurers give you the green light.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy