Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Full season with kids

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.
My husband and I met doing seasons 15 years ago. 3 children down the line we want to go back and spend the winter in the alps.
My husband is going to fly back and forward for work so we need to be no more than about an hour for the airport.
Our children will be aged 10 and twins aged 8, so we’d like to enrol them in a local school.
Has anyone done this? Anyone any advice? Things we need to think about? Does it sound in anyway feasible?
Thanks so much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, there are 2 families doing it here (small village in Switzerland). You need a residence permit, obviously, and to get one of those you need somewhere to live.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 3-03-19 19:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great thanks Mike.
Do you know how it works with schools?
Is it, find somewhere to live, get residence permit, then you can get into school?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes. First find somewhere to live - you really need to do this on a preceding visit so you can look at properties. You can enquire about schools on that visit too. When you arrive for your season you must register with the local authorities within a few days, and apply for the your permit. You then have a short amount of time to get them the documentation that they require - proof of financial status, proof of Swiss healthcare insurance, your contract for your accommodation rental etc. They'll then issue a permit.

Lots more here: https://www.ch.ch/en/renewal-overview-swiss-residence-permit/

Edit: not sure about schools, but google will doubtless know.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-03-19 20:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great thanks!
Will have a look.

Does anyone know the situation for France, Austria and Italy?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forgot to add - the British Embassy in Bern have some very helpful staff, it might be worth dropping them an email.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thebigz, there's been a few post about this / people doing it over the years. Here's one:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3317759&highlight=season#3317759
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thebigz, no-one does, at least until the end of the month and probably for several months/years after while we try to untangle the Brexit mess. At least with Switzerland there's no real change. I've heard of people doing it in France and Austria, and of course schools in the bigger cities are used to transient people turning up and asking for a place for a term while their family are seconded or on an extended visit. First pick your place, then contact the local authorities and ask what you'd need to do to get school places allocated. Also consider how to get travel insurance for a season to cover the whole family, including ski cover, and if you are planning to drive and have your car over there, that will need special arrangements for insurance and breakdown cover as most policies will cover up to 30 days in a single trip.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thebigz, for Austria, if there's a no deal Brexit, then you would be limited to staying for 90 days as tourists. If there's a deal or Brexit gets cancelled or postponed beyond next season, then under freedom of movement there would be no restriction.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Queenie.
Do you know what the situation is with schools in Austria?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@thebigz, as a tourist your children would not be able to attend school unless you paid for one of the private international schools. As a resident, then your children would be able to go to school, but they might struggle if they do not speak German.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thebigz, lots of families have done this in Les Gets, Morzine and St Jean d’Aulps. There is a Morzine Crew Facebook page and if you join that you can ask for lots of help and advice. We used to live for a good part of the year just down the road from the school in Les Gets and there were quite a few English children there.
You could PM MeMyselfandI as she has children in the school and also works in one of the local estate agents.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did this about a decade ago when my son was just 11. We stayed in St Gervais for 5 months - dead easy drive to Geneva and accessible bus too. My son was in Y6 at the time but because the French year runs slightly differently to the UK year he went to the secondary school down in Passy, where they treated him incredibly well in terms of language support, given he was only there for 3 months. - We just rocked up and asked if he could go to school there and that was it, he started the following day. Another family had children in both that school and a primary school in Les Contamines.

As I have said every time this question has been raised I would not have changed a thing (apart from coming home) and if I had the time over again would do it all again in a heartbeat, though whether it would be as easy now with all this 'nonsense', I don't know.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thinking forward to when your year is up, given your oldest’s age, they will then presumably be starting senior school in the UK. You will therefore need to factor in school applications for when you return. I don’t know your plans for example they were going to be doing the 11+. Just thought I’d mention it.
snow conditions
Hi,
As far as I know Morzine is the closest ski resort to an airport. 1h20 minutes to Geneva.
Morzine is a great village and has some schools. In France if you live in an area and are paying your taxes then you have to be given a place in the local school/s.
latest report
Lots of people do it in Morzine BUT Brexit is your problem here not schools, accommodation or airports.

Also for Switzerland how would you get a visa? Surely you would be limited to 90days or need a B permit or and L linked to a job? Or an absolute shoite ton of cash.
ski holidays
Know people who did it in Les Carroz as well. Local village school. Close to airport etc. they really enjoyed it. But as others have said with Brexit looming no way of knowing what will and won't happen next year. Also second@bambionskiis, if the 10 year old will be in Year 6 next year then you may well have an issue if you are wanting to apply for UK state schools. We are in an 11+ area and that is a whole can of worms! If you are not in an 11+ area and you have a preferred senior school be very careful that you do not fall foul of the residency criteria if you plan to come back.
snow report
Thanks all.
10 year old will have just turned 10 and in Year 5 hence why next year is the year!
Bloody Brexit does make everything a lot more complicated
ski holidays
thebigz wrote:
Hi all.
My husband and I met doing seasons 15 years ago. 3 children down the line we want to go back and spend the winter in the alps.
My husband is going to fly back and forward for work so we need to be no more than about an hour for the airport.
Our children will be aged 10 and twins aged 8, so we’d like to enrol them in a local school.
Has anyone done this? Anyone any advice? Things we need to think about? Does it sound in anyway feasible?
Thanks so much!

OK i will bite
Message me room for everyone.
snow report
thebigz wrote:
Thanks all.
10 year old will have just turned 10 and in Year 5 hence why next year is the year!
Bloody Brexit does make everything a lot more complicated

Ah right so he’s only 9 at the moment. Sounds good timing then.
latest report
@nixmap, Hi! Room for everyone?!
latest report
@nixmap, ah just seen your post. Thanks but we’ll be ok to rent somewhere on our own - both have good well paying jobs that we can continue during the winter.
We’ve done the winters working and served our time!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy