Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camping in the winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have often seen camper vans at resorts (and some caravans), up to their bumpers in snow. Methinks that you would have to be a little eccentric to do it, but it would be a real cheap accommodation option. Has anyone ever done it. If so, what was it like, what are your observations.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can report only second hand. One of my uncles decided to try it.
Well, he tried and the next year he went back in the hotel with the rest of the group.
a- He felt lonely, obviously, since the rest of the group was staying at hotels in the village and the camping site was out of it.
b-He was alone in a 4 places van, he estimates that no more than 2 ppl could live in his van during a winter holyday withouth getting to each other throats.
Given that he had to pay for the camping lot, water, power and food, the bill wasn't that much cheaper (yes it was cheaper, but the downsides nullified that).
Now my personal views, if one's a loner, or has a camper van the size of an aircraft carrier then it may be ok. But , given the kind of roads that provide access to most places I go to ski, then one would have to park far too away from the pistes...
Ever tried to drive to Madesimo (here there is an option, to park at Campodolcino and to take the tram to Madesimo ski area, an option that I've chosen this winter with the car too)?
Or to Alta Badia (actually in Corvara there is a camping place, and I've seen some big campers, but I'm sure I'd be unable to manage to drive one till there ) ?
Of course roads are being improved all over...still, I have my doubts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ask Bode Miller! He opted for a camper van last season - the main benefit for him was not having to unpack etc every few days.

Sounds like a good idea if you want to do a season and experience different resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Winter camping and snow holing can be great fun if you have the right kit and are lucky with the weather.

I once met a guy who had spent a week in some rather unusual accommodation in Cervinia. On the transfer coach back to the airport the Rep, who hadn't seen him all week, asked him where he'd been staying. Hotel 'snow-hole' he replied, which may have explained his strong odour.

Nearer to home many people camp throughout the year at Loch Morlich near Cairngorm. This fabulously situated campsite but can however be somewhat challenging in deep winter.

I have a friend who camped there during the 1982 cold spell when locally the temperature dropped to nearly minus 30. Over in Braemar the village water main stayed frozen for nearly a month and water had to be tankered in.

Between Christmas and New Year 1996 i was staying in the loch Morlich Youth Hostel with campers begging the warden to let them in from the minus 23 degree cold outside. One of the days the maximum midday temperature was a chilly minus 15.

At the end of February this year we had a trip up to the Cairngorms with the caravan and the dog. We enjoyed some fantastic cross country skiing, winter mountain biking, ski touring and a superb days telemarking at the Lecht.

In the morning the temperature in the awning was dropping down to a nippy minus 8, but with heating we were quite snug in the van. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy