Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montriond-Morzine - advice needed on Location

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at staying in really nice independant chalet located in Montriond.... However I'm a little concerned about access to the ski area Avoriaz / Morzine...

Any body got any experience they can share ?

Also, I see that the Morzine slopes are 'connected' to the Avoriaz slopes via a single lift link - looks like a gondola and then a chair... Anybody explain to me what this is like and how effective it is...

Thanks,

Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
long time since I've been but no link from morzine to avoriaz as they are on opposite sides of the town. to get from slopes on morzine side to av side you need to get ski bus. when I was there i either skied one side or theother though it doesn't take long to get across town. from memory and there will be others who are there all the time it was a good quick trip up to avoriaz from morzine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From Morzine there are three routes up to Avoriaz. My preference - probably closest to Montriond - is to go up to Ardent and take the gondola direct into Les Lindarets, where turn left for Chatel, straight on for Switzerland, or right for Avoriaz. ISTR a bus up to Ardent, or there is a large carpark.

Second option from Montriond is to head back into Morzine, and take the Super Morzine gondola, and then the series of lifts and runs which zig-zag along the ridge into Avoriaz: this can be quite nice, but takes a while - I don't recall the lifts being slow, just that there's quite a few of them.

The third option, which probably isn't that sensible from Montriond, is to head up to Les Prodains, from where there is the main cable car into the bottom Avoriaz.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there. I stayed in Montriond for the first time for a w/end a couple of years ago. We stayed with a company called Chalet Morzine (I think). A nice comfy chalet with a mixed bag of guests and good food/wine. The ski hire shop was next door and the nearest lift was telecabin d'Ardent which was about a 5-6 minute drive away. This whisked us up to a big bowl and from here we were able to ski into the neighbouring areas and over into Switzerland for lunch. We covered quite a lot of ground around Avoriaz, Chatel etc. Trouble is, it is tempting to keep going and then find you are a long way from base and it's getting late! I had a lovely few days skiing that area, with no complaints. We were only there for 2 and a half days so only went into Morzine (few minutes drive) for one evening, but its a lovely little town. Go to www.portesdusoleil.com and have a browse. You can request a piste map from the tourist office and it's pretty comprehensive incorporating all the different areas and their links.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100, if I may be so bold, is a little out of date as there are more routes now and you don't need to take a bus. It sounds, Dan, as though your last trip pre-dates the super-Morzine connection?

RobW, is spot on. As is Beverley. If you're in Montriond, you're easiest route is up the Ardent bubble (and likewise, probably down that way too (sorry, ski down under the bubble)). Your possibly main limitation would be getting to Les Gets or Nyon (if you want to). You will be on the Morzine-Ardent bus for that. It's reasonably frequent but I must admit I usually hire a car.

Re Montriond, I don't play there very often, but I recall the Pizzeria opposite the Ardent turnoff being very good.

Who are you staying with BTW?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As has been said above, the logical entry point is the Ardent bubble to Les Lindarets.
If it is an independent chalet, then possibly they have a minibus and are willing to take you over to the LesGets/Nyon/Chamoisiere sectors on one or more days? ditto to get you up to the Ardent bubble if this is not walking distance?
Certainly the indy chalet I stay at in Les Gets usually transports everyone down to the lift each morning, and typically on 1 day will take everyone over to Avoriaz and on another day to Ardent, where we usually start/end the PdS circuit. It all depends on what skill levels are in the chalet that week and what people want to do.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for the advice. If the tourist office will send me a piste map, that's great...

David Murdoch, the company was www.starskichalets.com - not booked yet but it looks a nice place - certainly there marketing ticks the right boxes...(compared to the usual TO fare )

The point Beverley, makes about finding ourselves a long way from base is a point for us to consider - we are taking young kids next year, and I don't really want to be too far from the nursery if I can help it ( our new baby will be only 14 months by the time we go next year )

Any comments about the ski area ? - It sounds like it is one we need to have done at some point ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richie_S, If you have a young child there's Jack Frosts that operate from Ardent. This is where the gondala to Lindarets departs so it's really convenient. We used JF's when our son was 2 yrs old, the staff were great but the nursery itself was a bit pokey in terms of size. They will meet you up at the Linderets bowl if you wanted to meet up with sprog(s) at lunch time, saves you having to come all the way back down.

There's a regular(ish) bus from Montriond to Ardent which takes about 10 mins. Not the most convenient place to stay admitted, but if you don't intend venturing out into twon on a regular basis in the evening and don't mind a bus ride to the slopes then it'll probably worth it if you grab a bargain.

There's a decent bar at the bottom of the Ardent lift where you can grab a quick Bierre Blanche while waiting for the bus !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richie_S, Star Ski's website looks quite cool. You aren't (I don't think) in the best of locations for nightlife etc. but they do promise to drive you up to the Ardent lift. That's where I normally go myself as it gives expedient access to the Avoriaz connections.

If you're going soon, you should have great snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy