Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

clicking knees

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Many of my joints will crack every now and then. However, not every time I move them. My right knee has started to click on every step down when I bend the knee under full body weight. On the way up stairs, it makes no noise. On the level it is 50/50 whether it will click, but if I bend the knee before putting weight on the leg it makes no click. No pain is encountered.

This is not related to skiing, as I am not skiing very much currently. However I do go running about 3 times a week on average. (I am resting now that it has started to click so I can investigate reasons and prevention regarding knee misalignment)

Anyone have any suggestions?

My investigations on the internet suggests this is nothing to worry about. I need to strengthen my inner thighs, and stretch my muscles surrounding the knee.

I have also iced the knee, had a bath, applied some clay face mask to improve the skin condition and tried some ultrasound with aloe vera gel.

Rest is probably the main thing. I have a knee support neoprene from many years ago which stabilised the patella. I think this will help going down stairs.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have this, but exactly the opposite as it clicks when I go upstairs! Does it feel like the back of the knee or the knee itself? I have a couple of physio friends that I explained it to who responded with blank faces and said it wasn't a problem. It comes and goes and isn't painful so I've stopped worrying about it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bigtipper, AFAIK this is absolutely nothing to worry about. Mine does exactly the same thing when i come down stairs, especially in the morning. My knee 'pops' on ever step. Totally painless and I don't think it's a sign of any underlying problem or something that is curable. Something to do with air in the joint, I gather. No much difference from cracking your knuckles.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been through the gamut of weird knee feelings and noises since they were injured.
My R knee for over a year did a quiet 'tick' every time it went down stairs, then shut up; now both do it randomly, sometimes on just flex and extend in mid air. At the moment the L one's 'crackling' doing that; bit more irritated at the mo.
Anyhoos... My general experience is that quiet little noises without any pain, aches, swelling, heat or catching/locking are pretty innocuous. Maybe some very minor patella or patfem issues, or something mildly tight - but more a bit amusing than anything else.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rhoobarb, the clicking comes from right in the middle of the patella. The back of the knee is not where the noise comes from, but it may be implicated. My ankles do this as well, but less frequently.

Today I am walking by with an unusual gait by walking with bended knees. No noises going down stairs, upstairs, or on flat. The problem is soley related to having a straight leg, putting weight on that leg, and then bending the knee. If I have bended knee, put weight on bended knee, then bend the knee further no noise.

This is similar to skiing advice; "Bend ze knees"
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are you walking around barefoot? Try wearing something like "Sketchers" to absorb any shock.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bigtipper, Are you able to run on it?

and if so, how far before you get a pain that tells you to stop?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it air in the joints popping under pressure similar to knuckle cracking?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BoardieK wrote:
Are you walking around barefoot? Try wearing something like "Sketchers" to absorb any shock.

I've had to give up wearing my sketchers. They fit like a glove and feel so comfy on my feet, but the memory foam doesn't give my foot the support it needs and I end up with painful knees if I walk too much in them. Took me ages to spot the pattern and work out what was causing it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kiteman69, there is no pain and I can run on it and do so regularly. I am just resting it to see if that stops the clickling. It seems to be much reduced in a couple of days off.

I have memory foam insoles in my slippers. However, it is "bending ze knees" whilst walking or going down stairs which stops it. A slight bend in the knee as you transfer weight rather than a straight leg means that when you bend it further there is no click. The click only occurs from a straight leg with body weight on it, to bended knee.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No noises from my knee today. I have a new neoprene knee support, with patalla holder, and springs up the side to reduce pressure on the joint. Works better than the pair I got about 25 years ago, which kept coming off because the velcro released. I might get another one so I have a pair.

Looks like it was just some creaking joints, becoming more arthritic as I age.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Massage balls rolled around the knee seem to release the tension in the kneecap. Also I found some tight muscles inside my thighs, which a foam roller has relaxed (is relaxing). Clicking knee has stopped, other knee getting irritated so I have stopped doing HIIT whilst running, and also reduced distance for a period. Ice cooler wrapped around knee after jogging helps.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Knees feeling much stronger and stable now that I have stopped HIIT whilst running. (I was sprinting for short bursts in order to vary the intensity of my running). I think I was overdoing it in cold weather. No noises at all. I am not using support or icing my knees.

This is good news, as there is snow in Scotland now and much more is forecast next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bigtipper, good news Smile Glad that you have found something which helps.
Most likely most noises are to do with muscles or soft tissues being a bit tight or irritated, kneecap not quite moving right, some tendon a bit trapped or caught - or similar. Mine do all sorts of different noises on and off, depending on which bit I've last irritated, how, when and where. Poor little snowflake knees rolling eyes
Hopefully none of these various noises means anything terribly worrying.
Have fun in Scotland. That'll give them a good workout and strengthen snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy