Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who do you trust and why - snow depths

Poster: A snowHead
I have been religiously checking snow reports from Weather.com/.co.uk; Skiclub gb and the official website - in this case Tignes - whilst there is little dispute on whether there is snow or not (thankfully no problems there but you would hope not in March.) there is quite a range of views - clearly the rep on skiclub ballsed up with her (lower slopes/higher) 257/240, the official website gives (146/230) although the lower figure is for 2100m so acceptable difference there, the weather websites have it around (142/187)

I tend to go with the Skiclub as they seem the most likely to have access to the truth if they have a rep in resort and unlikely to embellish it as the resort may.

Anyone care to share their opinion/advice - I know snowheads love to give advice

wink snowHead Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Normally the Rep is a guest of the tourist office and has to give their snow depths - they don't go and measure them anyway. Reports musn't stray too much from the "TO line" but you can maybe get a fairer picture of conditions from the SCUK by reading between the lines in the Rep's report. "Best skiing on upper slopes" is the classic line. Generally means it is unskiable at resort level except for the last return of the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The actual depths don't mean so much, other than when used as a year-to-year comparison within the same resort, like you get at the SCGB site. I wouldn't put too much faith in the simple depth data from any one source. Also comparing different resorts gives some strange figures, depending on where the depths are measured, and the definition of "lower" and "upper" slopes in that resort. Also the ground underneath is important, with grass requiring less depth for coverage than rocks obviously.

More important is the last 2-wk snowfall, current temperature, 3-day forecast.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Monsieur D, I was specifically talking depths though, and I am pleased to say I haven't seen the aforementioned and I agree overused line about where the snow is good for about a month with regard to Tignes! Shock Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plake - Valid points re depth - I believe in bragging rights though - so they can matter! But agree with last two weeks etc - fingers crossed all this snow we've been seeing binds nicely before I get there.... Confused
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kaiser, you want bragging rights? Check out Snowbird. Smile

SKGB rep figures and descriptions may vary greatly, depending on how drunk they were the night before, etc. (this is based on speaking to reps in less "popular" resorts, who did what they had to, but not always with much accuracy)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Foxy, at the risk of starting a whole new argument - "America doesn't count"
Shock Shocked Shock
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kaiser, OK, but you didn't specify that at the start (oh, and the answers are: 312cm at mid-mountain and 972cm season to date)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That is quite impressive wink but the Alps have never suffered from that much snow and frankly - I'm glad. They also don't suffer from the host of other, in my opinion, negative detractions of the Americas. But things do seem to be shaping up nicely on our doorstep, you must agree. Going been or happy not to be?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Kaiser, you want bragging rights? Check out Snowbird.
Wear The Fox Hat, You want to be careful. Paul Mason is quite a big lad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally I would look at the minimum depths you have found and treat those with a little scepticism. When I was in Scheffau some years back I found the snow depths were being decided arbitrarily by the hotel receptionist and the tour operator rep without any reference to the actual snow conditions. Now I never believe any snow figures unless I can see the snow for myself or it's somewhere I've been previously and have an idea how the real and imaginary figures compare.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kaiser, when are you out there?
We are going 1/4/06.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaiser, it's only "suffering" with snow if you or the resort is unable to cope with it, otherwise, it's exactly what I want. If it's ice you want to ski on, then go to iceHeads.com! Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick, I am heading out on the 17th until 25th, so sadly we will miss you - but am sure this will in no way spoil your holday, enjoy.

Foxy - you go ahead and ski in blizzards if that's your perversion - I'll stick to the sunny slopes and take my chances on the quick stuff! Twisted Evil
snow report
You should go to the Ballon d'Alsace, they have 3.5 meters of snow at the top of the pistes - a 40 year record. The whole of the Vosges has enormous quantities of snow at the moment.
snow report
Mr D - Sell it to me - bearing in mind unfitness, slovenliness and cheapskateness plus a propensity to overindulge.
Confused
snow report
davidof wrote:
You should go to the Ballon d'Alsace, they have 3.5 meters of snow at the top of the pistes - a 40 year record. The whole of the Vosges has enormous quantities of snow at the moment.

And the Jura as well, it's surreal actually. The local webcam is incredible.
snow conditions
So earlier concerns about lack of European snow seem to have been allayed then....
latest report
My favourite snow report is the simple phrase beloved of tour operators 'It's Snowing !'

This may well be true - but not necessarily in the resort they are promoting, or even on the same continent.
latest report
Last March we climbed several wooden steps to Roxi's mountain hut/bar above La Thuile. 10 days ago we climbed down 3 steps in the snow to be greeted by the top foot of the stair handrail peeking through the snow
snow report
Latchigo- Agreed - and the worst presumably "some stones peeking through" and "hard packed runs back to resort" Still imagination can't be expected after a hard day in the pub - I mean ski guiding.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, So you have been in Roxi"s bar for 11 months rolling eyes ,that is some session. Laughing
snow conditions
with snow drifting the depths vary enormously - some roofs round here have 1.5 metres, some scarcely any. There are some windblown areas and some big cornices. What matters in the short term is what kind of condition it is in - and today it was the best I have ever seen, anywhere (but then I have never skied in USA) and the sun shone almost all day. Not the kind of day which happens too often. I don't think I have ever seen whiter trees. Magic.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Just been talking to a PGHM gendarme secouriste from there, he was describing the chaos on the motorway the other day when between Friday evening and Saturday morning they had 70 cms of snow in the Vosges. Skidoos running up and down the motorways apparently to help stranded motorists...
latest report
In a few places we go in Canada, we occasionally notice small fenced-off areas in sheltered locations with depth markers in them. These markers are just a (very long!) stick marked in metres and centimeters. Whilst we've never been there is summer to check that they read zero when there is no snow, it feels good to be able to check for yourself that the reports aren't telling porkies.

But never seem them in Europe. Have you?
snow report
Meteo France has some weather stations which measure snow. this is a link to the one which happens to be in our resort. Their don't seem to be many of them, though and sometimes the data stops coming through for a time (hours, rather than days) http://www.meteo.fr/temps/france/nivose/pics/SAISIS.html
snow conditions
oooo....that's nice looking data Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is the Meteo France station for La Plagne

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/france/nivose/pics/BELLES.html
latest report
for Tignes snow reports I'd read the diaries of Alpine Experience in the link below. Whilst they are based in Val D'Isere and mostly do off piste it's the most honest and up to date reporting I've seen on the real snow conditions for that area.

http://www.alpineexperience.com/news.html

regards,

greg
snow report
Gregh - excellent - just what I was looking for - another source of info to further whet my appetite! Only another 9 days and 10 hours to go!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy