Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

English Teaching Jobs - The Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to read my message.

I've been scouring the web for some time trying to find a resort where I could teach/tutor and still live in close proximity to be able to get some skiing in. I have a first class psychology degree, have worked in a school for 2 years and I am currently in my last placement of my PGCE (due to qualify in July).

Skiing and snowboarding has became a huge passion for me as of late and I would love to spend more than one week a year doing it. However I don't fancy the backpacker ski season as I'm starting to feel slightly too old for that and would much prefer something which has a bit more stability. My girlfriend is in a similar situation only she qualified to teach last year. Does anyone have any information as to if the type of work I'm looking for exists, and if it does exist could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all of your time.

Ps I do understand that I might need a TEFL/CELTA course but I have heard some people say that if you have a teaching qualification you don't. Will see what you think.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are plenty of international schools in Switzerland which teach in English and recruit English teachers, but in my experience they are generally not looking for newly quaified teachers, but you never know. When I lived near Geneva I was 20 minutes from the nearest slopes!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you want to teach kids, or teach English to adults ?

BASI training courses include French lessons a few evenings a week, I would guess that French trainee instructors might want some English tuition.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Badabing, ....try Les Roches in Bluche. Then buy Magic Pass and enjoy yourself....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you welshskier.

@rjs Teaching children would be brilliant. But I would be still more than happy to provide English tuition.

@valais2 what is this Magic Pass?

Thanks for all the replies.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Badabing, ou might find China as a better alternative
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To TEFL you would probably need relevant qualifications including a thorough understanding of grammar and some competence in the native language of your trainees. I have done French courses in France and the tutor was able to explain some abstruse grammar in English and Italian. He told me that whilst Italians needed proper grammatical explanations English people could rarely undersand them - and he was right in my case. I know about a couple of classes of pronoun and can speak grammatical English (and went to a grammar school!) but he was talking about types I'd never heard of - he knew far more English grammar than I do.

TEFL qualifications at a reasonable level are pretty tough, academically - I have some bright friends who found them much harder than they'd bargained for.

Thing is, you'd be competing with French people who speak, and can teach, English at a high level and are also highly proficient in French.

If you finish your PGCE in July, will you not then have to do your NQT year to qualify?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Badabing, ...can’t tell...it’s magic

30 resorts in Switzerland / annual pass at very reduced rate
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Check out these guys - they run a school beside the Nestle factory in Vevey.

https://haut-lac.ch/about-us/jobshaut-lac/

The owners are a mixture of Irish, English and Swiss. Really good people. But the downside - you need French.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I remember seeing a big international boarding school type place in Leysin (smallish Swiss resort).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's the Leysin American School that @lyzhnik, mentions. I think there are a number of boarding schools in the Swiss Alps, random link I found on Google here:
https://www.mypremiumeurope.com/top-private-schools/switzerland/the-swiss-alps
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would you consider going as far afield as Japan? The pay is still pretty decent for English teaching jobs there and, if you’re lucky with your employer, scope for subsidised accommodation.

If you can get a job near the mountains you can live a comfortable lifestyle while getting a lot of skiing in. We scored and got jobs in Hokkaido, close to lots of ski areas. 60+ ski days per year while living very well and saving money. Definitely not a ski bum lifestyle! It was so good we stayed for 5 years!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy