Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediate ski recommendation?

Poster: A snowHead
finally decided to buy skis but am beyond confused, age 50, female, 62kg and 165cm. I tried a few, but my skiing is just not good enough to notice much difference - I think I ski similarly in all of them. I have only been skiing 10yrs, 2wks/yr, mostly piste, some off (with max encouragement). Boy 1 (instructor) says buy men’s ski as women’s are a marketing ploy; Boy 2 (trainee instructor) says Atomic vantage women 80; Boy 3 says Volkl Flair 79 (but V website says advanced/expert), shops start with at your age... and I cry/switch off. Any advice? Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@3boysmum, I certainly wouldn't sweat buying a woman's ski. My daughter (12) just skied a week on mens intermediate-advanced ski's without any issue.

Equally I wouldn't sweat buying ski's labelled advanced if the price is right and they have the vaguely the right characteristics.

Vantage seems a decent call based on your profile.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@3boysmum, could you make the Oktobertest in Manchester? That way you can try different ones and see what you like?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@3boysmum, at your *size*, I would look at a women's ski, simply because most of the men's ranges will be too long. The Atomic Vantage and the Flair 79 are probably both in the right ballpark, maybe even the Flair 81, somewhere between 155-160cm.

If you don't need to buy this season though, getting to a ski test is a good idea, then you can try as many as you want.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bought a pair of these for my son a couple of months back

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-sets-bindings-/dynastar/alpine-ski-set-legend-x-84-xpress-bindings7064852

Available in size 156cm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do Ellis Brigham at Cas still do demo skis? From what you say then I'd be looking at a piste ski that might do a little side piste, rather than anything all mountainy. 80 should be plenty width at your weight.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Head Pure Joy at a length somewhere between your chin and your nose. Job done. Light, stable, turny and excellent value.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or one up from Pure Joy is Absolut Joy. I’ve been on these for about 3 years now & love them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone care to explain the K2 “Luv” series?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Themasterpiece wrote:

Explain what exactly?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

Explain what exactly?

In most ski ranges it’s kind of clear (or at least you can find information) on which skis are at which end of the range. But K2 seemed to call everything some sort of Luv e.g., Endless Luv, Secret Luv, Sweet Luv, Luv 75, Luv Sick, Luv Struck, Luvit, Ooolaluv, Luv Machine, Luv Boat etc
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Themasterpiece wrote:

As I understand it, they are a Female Specific range of skis of different widths, that are stable, have a smooth ride and easy to use.

My Daughter really likes the Burnin' Luvs from a good few years back. She prefers a ski with a full camber.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@endoman, yes they do, they will even refund you a 1 hour slope pass if you buy them. This is what i did, spent a weekend testing different ones.

I will say that, when i use to rent skis. the skis you get in the intermediate category (in price) weren't that great. At least now i have my own i've come to realise that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Layne wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

Explain what exactly?

In most ski ranges it’s kind of clear (or at least you can find information) on which skis are at which end of the range. But K2 seemed to call everything some sort of Luv e.g., Endless Luv, Secret Luv, Sweet Luv, Luv 75, Luv Sick, Luv Struck, Luvit, Ooolaluv, Luv Machine, Luv Boat etc

Ah, you're looking for logic. I can't help you there....though back then, the Lotta Luv was wider and the Phat Luv was wider again.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Themasterpiece wrote:
Layne wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

Explain what exactly?

As yer man says it's just their womens range of ski's.
ski holidays
Thank you all for your help. I’m in BKK next week for 4 days so have resisted temptation to buy immediately and have taken a demo hire option so I guess I will try at least 4 pairs, will report back if anyone’s interested. I would also review BKK but there’s not much to say, such an odd little place.
latest report
I bought my teenage daughter Head pure joy skis for Christmas and she was very happy with them. My OH bought me Head Absolut Joy and I was happy with them too. Previously we had both had K2 skis.

I went down a ski size this time and I think that overall my turns on normal pistes were better. Did not do so well in the really deep snow on some days over Christmas but possibly that was due to my lack of experience in skiing deep snow in poor visibility rather than the fact I had different skis. I did not have the longer, heavier K2 skis with me to compare.
snow conditions
@3boysmum, Might be worth taking a look at this thread which I started when my daughter was looking for some second hand skis

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149537

There are differences between men's & women's skis, as there differences in their physiology, nut I have to say, it would seem a lot of it is marketing hype & differences are marginal. One thing I would say is don't get sucked into the whole longer is better argument, my wife skis Rossignol Temptation 74's (few years old now) in a 150 length, she's similar age/ability/weight to yourself, but slightly shorter, she finds them excellent in all conditions. A ski will respond far less to a height (& therefore CoG) difference than it will to weight. A longer ski is only ever really an advantage in deep snow & it doesn't sound like you intend doing a lot of that

Daughter has just got Rossignol 84's, which are much fatter than the 74's, she's not tried them so far, so can't comment on them as yet
ski holidays
What's BKK?
ski holidays
BKK is Bad Kleinkirchheim - a small resort in Carinthia Austria - middle boy is instructing there this season.
snow report
@3boysmum, ta

BTW I loved my burnin luvs but a long time ago now
ski holidays
At my age/stage I’d be more ‘fancy a cuppa luv’, they all sound like I’d need rather more oomph...
latest report
@3boysmum, If you are out for a week or more keep changing the skis you are hiring. Eventually you will find some you like more than others. If after trying 10 pairs out you really can't tell the difference then just buy the cheapest of the ones you have tried.

Note first thing to identify is length you like, then turn radius, then width under foot (not too relevant if you only ski piste). Men / women skis are really only about the weight of the skier. You are on the light side hence I would stick with a stiff(ish) woman's ski. You have to be able to bend the ski to make it work. But this is tricky as the "harder" you ski the more "weight" you put in to the turn.

We are off to Pila this year march 2nd and there is a huge ski test on that week - looking forward to having some fun.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy