Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cord to stop your ski running away......

Poster: A snowHead
I saw some lads earlier with some curly cords that appear to run from the ski to the boot. I’m assuming this is so that you don’t lose your ski if you fall over I’ve just been googling but can’t find them. Does anyone know what they’re called? I lost a ski on a run once and was mortified so I think they’re a good idea.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
powder tracers ? https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/dynafit-deep-snow-band?currency=GBP&country=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbnWkLLQ4AIVqr3tCh1gEwbuEAQYAiABEgJ1TPD_BwE
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That’s the principle thanks endoman. However these were pretty discreet, being just a curly wire. Slightly embarrassed that they are obviously meant for serious powder skiers and not just duff skiers like me!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Before ski brakes became standard on bindings, "safety straps" were required to prevent runaway skis. They attached to your heel binding and you wrapped it around your leg. It was bad form to not use them; everyone would yell "ski" as a warning when one was on the loose. In a good fall, they'd often either tie up your legs like a roped steer, or permit your ski to stay close and whack you in the face. Brakes were popular instantly, not surprisingly! There are also "powder cords" which are not attached to you, just your ski, for the purpose of improving the odds of your finding them if you kick one off in the deep.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/dynafit-leash-id_8371792.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bambionskiis wrote:
I saw some lads earlier with some curly cords that appear to run from the ski to the boot.
Alpine skis or Telemark skis?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Use both as below on snowboards, cheap but work; buy a bit more webbing & buckles to go round leg if required.

Think I have seen posher more expensive versions on Absolute Snow or similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Police-Key-Lanyard-with-Carabiner-New-05/123359505865?hash=item1cb8ccadc9:g:WKEAAOSwRn1blBEz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Tactical-Camping-Key-Ring-Strap-Adjustable-Survival-Lanyard-Safety-Rope/264124091995?hash=item3d7f05ce5b:m:m3Pp8sFfVkUDum2AVFFBJFA
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:
I saw some lads earlier with some curly cords that appear to run from the ski to the boot.
Alpine skis or Telemark skis?

They just looked like ordinary alpine skis.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Before ski brakes became standard on bindings, "safety straps" were required to prevent runaway skis. They attached to your heel binding and you wrapped it around your leg. It was bad form to not use them; everyone would yell "ski" as a warning when one was on the loose. In a good fall, they'd often either tie up your legs like a roped steer, or permit your ski to stay close and whack you in the face. Brakes were popular instantly, not surprisingly! There are also "powder cords" which are not attached to you, just your ski, for the purpose of improving the odds of your finding them if you kick one off in the deep.

watching mine hurtling down an icy black (I’d ventured onto by mistake) I get the panic!! Hadn’t considered the whacking in your face scenario. Hmm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grizzler wrote:
Use both as below on snowboards, cheap but work; buy a bit more webbing & buckles to go round leg if required.

Think I have seen posher more expensive versions on Absolute Snow or similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Police-Key-Lanyard-with-Carabiner-New-05/123359505865?hash=item1cb8ccadc9:g:WKEAAOSwRn1blBEz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Tactical-Camping-Key-Ring-Strap-Adjustable-Survival-Lanyard-Safety-Rope/264124091995?hash=item3d7f05ce5b:m:m3Pp8sFfVkUDum2AVFFBJFA

Good spots grizzler. I’m much more of a make do and mend person than posher solutions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check these out (Jon at the PisteOffice sells them)
http://www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoffers wrote:
Check these out (Jon at the PisteOffice sells them)
http://www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/ski-leashes-traces-ties/b-d-ski-leash_55684bf72b3c5-detail.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They're called leashes and are sometimes used by tourers to save the weight of brakes - or where brakes are not an option.

Trouble is, when you fall down the hill your skis come tumbling after you and can cause injury.

It's important that the leash includes some sort of fuse so that they break in case of an avalanche.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bambionskiis, get the ones from spyderjon they are excellent.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fab-all sorted. Thanks all. Really helpful.
snow conditions
What @Scooter in Seattle, says. I also learnt before brakes when we had plates and leashes. It isn’t nice having your skis flapping about your face in a fall, or landing awkwardly on them. For piste skiing it is much safer for them to release totally from you.
snow report
dode wrote:
What @Scooter in Seattle, says. I also learnt before brakes when we had plates and leashes. It isn’t nice having your skis flapping about your face in a fall, or landing awkwardly on them. For piste skiing it is much safer for them to release totally from you.
Agreed. My first week of skiing used leashes rather than brakes. PITA to use, potentially more dangerous if the binding releases at anything higher than the most moderate speeds. How often do you see a runaway ski on piste? I can't recall ever seeing one where the brakes have worked normally (although I did see a runaway ski a couple of weeks ago, but that was the result of a broken binding where the entire brake unit had snapped off).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 23-02-19 9:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Agreed, designed for off piste, I only use them if planning on getting into deep snow.
ski holidays
Quote:

In a good fall, they'd often either tie up your legs like a roped steer, or permit your ski to stay close and whack you in the face.

Laughing My understanding is that powder traces - for off piste - are not tied to your leg in any way - they just sit up your trousers and stay attached to the ski, so hopefully you see a bit of the bright coloured trace sticking out, when the ski has buried itself in the snow, as they do. I suppose they could in theory get snarled up and wrap round your ankle - which could be a good thing, or an extremely bad thing!

I wouldn't want to be tied to my skis in the event of a fall. IME a ski is left above the fallen skier, who might have tumbled some distance down the piste. You really wouldn't want a ski tumbling with you. Those mad snow bike things have always worried me in that regard.
ski holidays
Powder tracers, 2m long orange rib & never had to spend time finding a ski after a release in powderbons that fit to te rear binding & bundle up & stuffed up your trouser leg, I've had mine 30 years & always found the ski quickly after a release in powder, sometimes well away from where I thought it might be.

Leashes, advisable for snowboards, I was skiing well offpiste one day when I saw some "Twigs" sticking out of the snow where I knew there were no trees, they turned out to be snowboard straps with a snowboard attached below the snow! someone had obviously dropped their board somewhere up the mountain & off it went into oblivion, I left it with the ski school but no-one claimed it so it got taken home & traded in for a wake board Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
How often do you see a runaway ski on piste? I can't recall ever seeing one where the brakes have worked normally (although I did see a runaway ski a couple of weeks ago, but that was the result of a broken binding where the entire brake unit had snapped off).

Saw one a week ago in Hafjell. On a black piste, steep-ish but smooth. The ski was on one edge, almost upside down, and shot straight down the piste for about 100m before it bounced up and flipped over a couple of times then stopped across the piste. I'm sure I've seen similar before, usually on straight steep hard packed pistes.
ski holidays
Quote:

Those mad snow bike things have always worried me in that regard.

Having had an (untethered) bike fly past me, missing by about 1 metre, some years back, I'm with you on this. They look like a lot of fun, but it's a huge lump of heavy steel that could do untold damage when out of control.

Back on topic, despite the hassle of escaping skis, on piste I'd far rather be climbing/descending to retrieve skis than having them clobbering me repeatedly on the head.
snow report
I'm not a snowboarder, but I think using a snowboard leash might be a good idea. A couple of years back on the Sella Ronda I saw a runaway snowboard hurtling down the piste. On several occasions as it hit bumps it got airborne up to head height. After traveling several hundred metres down the piste it shot off to the side of the piste and into trees. A few minutes later I saw a guy running down the piste obviously chasing after his wayward board, I don't know if he ever retrieved it but I rather doubt it......
snow report
Leashes are a good idea when skiing on heavily cravassed glaciers, where you really don't want to drop your ski down a big black hole. Otherwise their a bad idea, I've twice had to patch someone up after their ski has helicoptered around and smacked them on the head.
latest report
@OwenM, Fair comment, but on balance if i was way off piste somewhere i'd rather have a ski hit me than lose one. don't tend to be going too fast off-piste so unlikely to be too wild on release in my experience.

That said I was skiing a month ago and didn't clip into my binding properly on piste and 50m into the blue run my ski released and I did a few cartwheels and landed on my ski, bruised ribs since very painful......no leashes rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
dode wrote:
Agreed. My first week of skiing used leashes rather than brakes. PITA to use, potentially more dangerous if the binding releases at anything higher than the most moderate speeds. How often do you see a runaway ski on piste? I can't recall ever seeing one where the brakes have worked normally (although I did see a runaway ski a couple of weeks ago, but that was the result of a broken binding where the entire brake unit had snapped off).

Ive seen runaway skis a few times and can also recall times when I have taken off skis and the brakes have not come down due to icing.
snow report
Bit fruity commentary but still a classic.

https://jerryoftheday.net/blogs/best-of-jerry-of-the-day/unstrapped-snowboard-falls-off-cliff
snow report
endoman wrote:
Bit fruity commentary but still a classic.

https://jerryoftheday.net/blogs/best-of-jerry-of-the-day/unstrapped-snowboard-falls-off-cliff

Oops. That made me laugh. I consider myself very lucky in that I got a free skidoo ride down when I lost that ski. Pretty humiliating though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My only major ski injury was back in the early 80's because of these.
It was pre ski brakes so standard issue.
Fell on a blue run, the ski snagged and popped back hitting my leg just above the boot.
Two broken bones on the second day of a two week holiday, my parents were not best pleased!
I can say that Lech Hospital is very nice though!
I would avoid them.
ski holidays
Chattonmill wrote:
My only major ski injury was back in the early 80's because of these.
It was pre ski brakes so standard issue.
Fell on a blue run, the ski snagged and popped back hitting my leg just above the boot.
Two broken bones on the second day of a two week holiday, my parents were not best pleased!
I can say that Lech Hospital is very nice though!
I would avoid them.

Crikey how awful. In fairness the technology does seem considerably better now as per link above but it does give food for thought. Hmm
snow conditions
I learnt o ski in the early 80s pre brakes and remember these fondly as they saved me a lost ski. Was only 8 years ols and second time skiing so bindings were set very low. On the chair lift and it was snow so clapped my skis together to remove the snow from them and the right ski game off. If it was for the tether it would have been lost for ever and cost my parents so money. Still fell over coming of the chair lift mind.
snow report
Ah the other side of the coin poshprop Very Happy . Between yours and chattonmill’s parents above, these cables seem to be a mixed blessing then!!!
ski holidays
I think my parents would have quite happily forked out for a ski rather than hospital visitations Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy